AGS 3.6.0 - Release Candidate (RC 11)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Fri 07/10/2022 00:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Currently there following known issues, counting the critical and regressions:

First priority to fix:
FIXED1. Touch controls on some iOS devices (for web port, but may relate to iOS port too); I believe eri0o is working on the fix now.
FIXED2. A potential crash when restoring a save, related to Crossfade transition; found in very particular scenario:
Quote* Game begins in room 1 with regular fadeout.
* Room 2 has crossfade fadeout set in "after fade in" event. (SetScreenTransition(eTransitionCrossfade))
* Player saves in room 2.
* Player quits the game, restarts, appearing in room 1
* Restores the save made in room 2, which leads to crash.

Not overly critical, but annoying:
FIXED3. PlayQueue not playing next clip seamless (ticket), there's a small random gap. This affects cases when one music track transitions into another (e.g. non-looping intro continues into the looping main track). There are "manual" workarounds though. The problem is due to the differences in audio "systems" in 3.6.0 and earlier ones. I postponed working on this, as was not completely certain how complicated that would be, and thinking that 3.6.0 will be released soon... I'd like to look into this again in the following days and see if there's a "quick" solution. If not, then I'd likely leave this for the next 3.6.* patches / minor updates.
EDIT: have an idea of a temporary "hack" in the engine...
4. AudioChannel.Position not working for MIDI and XM/MOD clips (ticket). PositionMs works though. Position property was returning "sample" index for MIDI/MOD, which is difficult to retrieve with the new sound decoder library we're using. So this is mostly a matter of updating the library , either doing that ourselves, or nagging library authors to do this. I am leaving this for the future 3.6.* updates.
5. Problems with MIDI, or rather with loading config and sound fonts. This is a long and complicated story, in brief, not all soundfont packs work as-is, and engine can only find them in a few preset locations, which may not be convenient for some users. Again, for the future updates (dealing with the decoder library).
6. It's been reported that Direct3D "real fullscreen" mode sometimes hangs when alt+tabbing. The behavior was improved, but according to reports it is still possible to make it hang if you alt+tab alot. The situation is not understood well, and personally I was not able to reproduce this on my machine.

Crimson Wizard

Updated to RC11 (3.6.0.46).
(use download links in the first post)

Engine:
- Fixed touch-to-mouse emulation not working at all on certain devices (for example:  iOS Safari).
- Fixed touch-to-mouse emulation had mistakes when interacting with the game GUI controls.
- Fixed D3D9/OGL renderers could crash during a crossfade transition (under certain circumstances).
- Fixed clips scheduled with `AudioClip.PlayQueued()` are started with a noticeable gap between clips.

Crimson Wizard

Full version released: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/ags-engine-editor-releases/ags-3-6-0/

FYI there was one extra fix compared to the latest RC11:

Engine
 - Fixed FadeIn/Out and ShakeScreen prevent audio from starting if you started it right prior to them (it was starting afterwards).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk