AGS 3.6.0 - Release Candidate (RC 11)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Fri 07/10/2022 00:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Manu

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 26/01/2023 23:28:53@Manu can you share your crash dump again? The file disappeared from the host.

Sorry for the delay. Here you go:

https://we.tl/t-GH1oNGhdKM

eri0o

@Manu thank you!

@lapsking you can set the rotation you want in the default setup, there's a setting for it. The default unlocked mode though was broken but it will be fixed in the next release.

lapsking

@lapsking you can set the rotation you want in the default setup, there's a setting for it. The default unlocked mode though was broken but it will be fixed in the next release.
[/quote]

Wow, great. Many thanks.
the Thing is in the process, and mostly gone when it's done.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Manu on Sun 22/01/2023 21:50:02Hello
I found this bug on my game compiled with AGS 3.6.0.41. It can be easily reproduced:
1) Play the game in full screen
2) Press Alt+Tab to switch to another program (the game gets minimized in the taskbar)
3) Click the game title in the taskbar to restart playing.

The game crashes badly.

Possibly fixed in this temp build:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5463418820362240

It does not fix the previously reported problem, where Direct3D full screen may "hang" randomly if you alt+tab multiple times.

rongel

I noticed a possible new issue with the latest RC version with the idle animation delay. I have set it to 2 in the editor, but when I start a new game, it's actually 7 for some reason. I can manually change it to 2 with the IdleAnimationDelay command, and the idle animation plays like it should.

I think this issue is with the new version, but I'm not 100 % sure about it. There's always a possibility that it's my doing. Can someone else confirm this?
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

Crimson Wizard

EDIT: 3.6.0.42 is re-released, to include one extra fix, please scroll few posts below for details.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: rongel on Sat 04/02/2023 16:28:00I noticed a possible new issue with the latest RC version with the idle animation delay. I have set it to 2 in the editor, but when I start a new game, it's actually 7 for some reason. I can manually change it to 2 with the IdleAnimationDelay command, and the idle animation plays like it should.

I think this issue is with the new version, but I'm not 100 % sure about it. There's always a possibility that it's my doing. Can someone else confirm this?

This probably is related to the change in 3.6.0 where you can have an explicitly set idle delay. The old version was making idle delay equal to the animation delay + 5, and this is where 5 comes from, likely.

The question is, is your game built as 3.6.0 and run as a new game, or have you built it with 3.5.1 previously and restoring an older save made in 3.5.1?

rongel

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 04/02/2023 17:40:42The question is, is your game built as 3.6.0 and run as a new game, or have you built it with 3.5.1 previously and restoring an older save made in 3.5.1?
It happens with the RC 6 and RC 7 when starting a new game. Weird thing is that I think it has well worked before, like a month ago or something. Just now noticed this behaviour when testing my game.
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: rongel on Sat 04/02/2023 18:43:58
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 04/02/2023 17:40:42The question is, is your game built as 3.6.0 and run as a new game, or have you built it with 3.5.1 previously and restoring an older save made in 3.5.1?
It happens with the RC 6 and RC 7 when starting a new game. Weird thing is that I think it has well worked before, like a month ago or something. Just now noticed this behaviour when testing my game.

This might fix it:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5515636294549504

lapsking

Hi,

I had a problem with the letters of my fonts being cropped in AGS 3.5, so Crimson Wizard suggested using AGS 3.6. Thanks to all you guys working on new version, my issue is mainly fixed. But I have realized in one of my classic medieval fonts if I use a capital letter that stretches like capital K at the end of a sentence the right side still gets cropped, though top and bottom is fine. I might never need to use a capital letter at the end of a sentence in my game, I don't know yet, but I thought with all your hard work, it might be worthy to mention it, or maybe not. Thank you.

like this:

And I realized sometimes the capital K at the end of the sentence is written complete but the right side doesn't have an outlining.

Sorry if my OCD is bothering you, it hurts me the most, imagine how my wife is coping with that!

Crimson Wizard

I re-released RC7 (3.6.0.42), including one extra fixed reported by @rongel yesterday. Please download again.
(use download links in the first post)

Editor:
- Allow to find Android's sdkmanager in alternative directories when building the game for Android.

Engine:
- Fixed GetTextWidth would still return a size of an outline for an empty text string.
- Fixed preload.pcx is not displayed properly.
- Fixed legacy letterbox mode in Direct3D/OpenGL renderers.
- Fixed idle animation speed is increased by 5 on game load (regression since one of the previous RCs).
- Fixed background speech and textual overlays could disable GUI if continuously created in repeatedly_execute.
- Fixed certain MPG videos will skip if played with audio disabled.
- Fixed crash when restoring a minimized Direct3D fullscreen mode.

Android:
- AGS Player now has preference button per each game, which opens individual game's settings.
- Fixed global settings not working correctly for AGS Player.
- Fixed screen rotation setting ("unlocked" option was not working).

Reported issues remaining:
* Direct3D is said to still be not fully stable when alt+tabbing in exclusive fullscreen mode: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/ags-engine-editor-releases/ags-3-6-0-release-candidate-rc1/msg636650995/#msg636650995

lapsking

I saw this in RC7:

QuoteEngine:
- Fixed GetTextWidth would still return a size of an outline for an empty text string.

And thought might solve the issue I mentioned above too, but still the issue exists in RC(7) too. Just reporting.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: lapsking on Sun 05/02/2023 12:59:28But I have realized in one of my classic medieval fonts if I use a capital letter that stretches like capital K at the end of a sentence the right side still gets cropped, though top and bottom is fine. I might never need to use a capital letter at the end of a sentence in my game, I don't know yet, but I thought with all your hard work, it might be worthy to mention it, or maybe not.

Could you post a link to let us download your font?

lapsking

Crimson Wizard

Updated to RC8 (3.6.0.43).

Editor:
- In sprite manager's context menu added (restored) command "Replace sprite using previous files". Also made "previous file" remembered consistently whenever a sprite is imported or replaced.
- In sprite manager's "export all" dialog added "reset tile settings" option.
- Fixed program crash occuring on sprite's import if failed to open a source file for any reason.
- Fixed crash occuring when user was trying to set breakpoint on the very last line in script.

Engine:
- Support for switching vertical sync at runtime with Direct3D/OpenGL renderers. Also enable vsync in windowed mode too.
- Restored vsync support in Software renderer (was temporarily disabled in 3.6.0 after porting the engine to SDL2).

Web/Emscripten:
- Support persistent game saves (will remain on disk after game is closed).
- Added a ui control for clearing persistent files.
- Added a ui control for switching to fullscreen. Properly support switch to fullscreen mode.
- Use consistent version of Freetype lib, so that the game fonts are displayed similarly to other ports.
- Show game alerts as message popups in browser.
- Fixed suspending the game when alt+tabbing from the browser.

* Direct3D is said to still be not fully stable when alt+tabbing in exclusive fullscreen mode: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/ags-engine-editor-releases/ags-3-6-0-release-candidate-rc1/msg636650995/#msg636650995

Crimson Wizard

I think, if nothing bad happens, we may announce a "stable" release on the 1st March (just to have some round date).

There may still be patches later, as usual, if some fixes are necessary.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 21/02/2023 20:30:59I think, if nothing bad happens, we may announce a "stable" release on the 1st March (just to have some round date).

Every time I say this...

There are couple of problems with the Web port which we are looking at currently, but hopefully they won't require alot of changes.

Crimson Wizard

Updated to RC9 (3.6.0.44).

Editor:
- Editor now copies a acsetup.cfg file from the project's root folder (if one is provided by a user) as a base for generating default config file. Settings from Default Setup will be written over, but other found options won't be removed.

Engine:
- Added "emul_mouse_mode" and "emul_mouse_relative" options to config in "[touch]" category. Touch-to-mouse emulation (mobile and Web ports) now uses distinct relative motion setting.
- Added stubs for agsappopenurl plugin.
- Fixed UTF-8 translations in ASCII-sourced games not correctly working on Unix systems (Linix, OSX, Android, etc).

Compatibility:
- For pre-3.5.0 games support old behavior of coincidental dynamic sprite replacement on GUI backgrounds (and few other places) without explicit assignment; that is - when the new DynamicSprite is created right after deleting an old one. (Yes, apparently there are few games that rely on that...)

Web/Emscripten:
- Few improvements for the overlay UI controls.
- Fixed few problems with the game focus and scaling when run in iframe.

Crimson Wizard

So, there was a small bug found, where Objects with ID >= 100 failed to Animate.
(Objects limit was increased 40 -> 256 in this version, and there was some weird legacy behavior that had conflicts with this.)
If anyone interested, here's a temp build with a fix:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4928866972598272

Another thing, we need to update Sierra template again, because it contains a small bug noticeable if you have translations and kept the default options Panel.
FYI the fix looks like this:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-template-source/commit/dac12352fa0dc398c1e6db45a1d5a35c4ad06e5c

Crimson Wizard

Updated to RC10 (3.6.0.45).

Editor:
- Fixed "export sprites" command run with an option to export sprites with absolute source paths.

Engine:
- Fixed that `Animate` command did not work for room objects with ID >= 100.
- Fixed `SimulateKeyPress` command could break some engine mod-key combinations (such as alt+ctrl for mouse lock, and so forth).
- Fixed initial positioning of a game window on desktop.
- Restored `--gfxfilter` command arg support for explicit scaling multipliers.

Templates:
- Updated to the latest project format.
- Fixed Sierra-style template relied on a human text on a button for switching voice modes (this could break if you change the text, or use a translation).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk