Base 221 (Demo availiable)

Started by police brutality, Sat 06/01/2007 12:29:49

Previous topic - Next topic

police brutality

BASE 221
[/color][/size]

Some time ago I got hooked up with a bunch of WW2 conspiracy theories- U-Boats scaping to S. America, secret weapon projects, and the legendary German antartica base- BASE 221. I couldn't find any games based on these urban myths so I decided to make my own a few days ago. With the help of the forums and the manual progress has been quite fast- 12 rooms in 2 evenings. I decided to post here to

a) Create some expectation and curiosity.

b) Get feedback on what I've got so far.

c) I'm going to need someone to beta test everything when I'm almost done.

Screenshots: You can see the GUI and the way the cursor works.

You can download a small demo here. I removed the puzzles and most of the items to pick up since I didn't want to spoil the game. There are more rooms and a menu there too, but disabled- I'm not going to spoil the whole thing.

www.megaupload.com/?d=C3VCH5H7 (I think it's 12 MB)

It'd be pointless to say anything about the plot, since it's whole point it's too keep the player wondering "What the hell is going on?", much like the TV series Lost.

Please tell me what you think.

ManicMatt

I'll just download the full thing when it's done!  :)

I hope the full game will be less... grey? A LOT of games, even commerical ones, can have loads of grey. It's hard to avoid though!

ildu

That image of the mauser, I remember when I made a 3d model based and textured by that very same image :).

FrancoFranchi

Just had a go at this - overall I'm very impressed and will definitely check out the full version.  The opening worked very well, setting the scene with some very nice graphics.  How did you make them?

As you asked for constructive criticism:
a) I'm sure you are thinking about changing the inventory buttons and font already, but make sure you do - and make all your inventory items look nicer.  The huge gun against a white background really stood out.
b) For such a simple interface and a desolate environment, the more things you can look at the better.  Adding a close-up of the noticeboard in the lounge, or the sinks, would make the environment seem a lot more immersive.

Looking forward to more and glad to see someone making quick progress (while I spend a week working on a single walk-cycle! :'()

Akatosh

Same here. The game itself is really nice, but I'd really remove the default graphics. Judging by the backgrounds, I'm sure you can pull that off.

And I'm really looking forward to a game with german content!  :)

police brutality

Just so you know I didn't do these backgrounds. I was planning on doing it with UnrealEd but then found out that there was a map in America's Army which was exactly like the scenario I was trying to create, so I just took a bunch of screenshots and used them.
Of course, the station in the game won't the same as the AA map- otherwise you'd know what to expect (And the game would end up being a interactive movie) Doors leads to different ways, hallways turn in other directions, etc- anyway, the player won't spend more than 10 minutes in the station.

As for the feedback- yes the buttons will be changed. The cursor will be the first to go. The contrast of quality is really annoying.

As for close ups, those are already in the exe, but I disabled them (Yes, there is a noticeboard close up).

EDIT

This is what I was talking about.

(I know it's an "american" gun, but in my opinion it's better looking, and suits the story)

police brutality

Just to let you know I finally got a job after appliying in 3 different hospitals, so I will have less time in my hands to complete the game.  I'd dare say 1/5 of the game is complete. If at some point I realize that I won't be able to finish I'll just release what I have with a "to be continued" ending.

Joe

Ok two things:

1. Good game, seems to be very promising

2. Improve the interface!!!!!!!
Cause I hate it when games combinate hig-res with low-res, just change those defaults icons and cursors using your own ones, more atmospheric.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

police brutality

Ummm, I just realized I haven't touched this since the last update. sorry to anyone who was looking forward to it. Should be ready in the next couple weeks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk