Byte of the Draculator II

Started by Baron, Mon 06/06/2011 03:22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

The Swarm proudly presents: Draculator II

The Plot (So Far): Corporal Merrick awoke with a wicked headache and a bionic limb.  What the....?!?  He vaguely recalled becoming a vampire while on shore leave in order to hook up with two foxy vampire twins, but after that his memory failed him.  Fortunately an evil military scientist is around to fill in the blanks: he has been recaptured by the military and has been surgically forged into a vampire cyborg, a new super weapon.  One of the the qualities of vampires is that they assume the characteristics of the beings whose blood they drink, so Merrick will be made obedient with an IV of poodle blood.  Alarms sound, drawing the mad scientist away.  Now is Merrick's only chance to.... ingratiate myself to master -no, escape!

Can you guide Merrick out of the high security military compound?  Play our game!

Screenshots

The Method: This is an experimental game created by dozens of AGSers swarming the project.  Initially the idea was that approximately 60 AGSers would each spend only an hour each on the project.  We've since modified the rule to "one hour minimum commitment, more if you want" to accommodate folks who wanted to invest more time in the project.  The premise is that many people can collaboratively create something that no one person could ever have conceived: thus all aspects of the project have been collaborative, from art to plot writing and anything in between.  We are currently looking for background artists, object artists, coders and animators: check out the Swarm Thread if you are interested in joining the swarm or just learning more about how the project has unfolded.

Updated Progress:  We are roughly 90% done and are currently entering a beta-testing phase.

BACKGROUNDS: 100%
OBJECTS: 100%
CHARACTERS: 100%
ANIMATION: 90%
WRITING: 95%
CODING: 95%
MUSIC: 30%

Wish us luck or cheer us on!  Any one interested in collaboration or critically discussing art/writing, etc. should do so in the Swarm Thread

discordance

Quote from: Baron on Mon 06/06/2011 03:22:58Fortunately an evil military scientist is around

^ this is my favourite sentence ^

I'm really interested in how this is all going to turn out.

wisnoskij

it is interesting and exciting to see how this experimental project of working out.

So is there a Draculator the first?

arj0n

Ghost

The first Draculator is obviously the one who.. draculated the second... and who might draculate the third.
We need to get that into slang lingo as a verb, really!

Big cheers on the In Production thread, barOn, this really is one wicked experiment.

theo

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this insane experiment. Will it rock? Will it suck? Will it draculate us all?  :=

Anyhow it's an awesome project. Kudos for starting it up wherever it leads!

Wonkyth

I'm edraculating already.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Baron

BUMP!

Sorry, I kind of forgot about the GIP thread once we finished our last recruitment drive. 

Anyway, this project is moving along fairly nicely.  We're not quite at a beta version, but really reeeeeeally close.  Most of the art is done, the vast bulk of the coding, and even some music and writing have been completed.  I forecast a mid-September release.

Here's a new screenie for those not following the swarm thread:

NickyNyce

I know this is not the critics lounge....but the reflection on the glass shouldn't be reflecting on the open square. Sorry it just popped out at me....

This game looks great, can't wait..

Snake

It may be one of those windows that slide open and slide shut when not in use. Just a thought :D

This looks awesome, by the way!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

mkennedy

Cyborgs are cool. So will he be able to assimilate others and turn them into vampires and/or cyborgs? Will his cybernetic makeup give him resistance to sunlight? It looks like daytime or dusk/dawn in some of the screenshots.

Tabata

That might become an adventure (to find out)   ;)

Baron

We are currently recruiting new swarm members for beta-testing.  It is important at this stage to get some fresh eyes on the project, so the more unfamiliar you are with the game the better.  Any interested parties should report HERE.

Baron

BUH-MP!

We've got our second beta up HERE and we're keen to have fresh eyes go over it again.  The game might take you 10 minutes to play through, maybe twenty to try everything.  We had a lot of good feedback the first time around and have revised accordingly.  There's no readme yet so here are the instructions: right click look, left-click interact, and click on the main character to access inventory.  Please post beta-test comments in the swarm thread.  Thanks!

EDIT: Third Beta is now available.  We're getting close here, folks....

m0ds

Nice looking stuff! Hopefully give it a try in the near future. Love the art style.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk