DOCTOR WHO - TIME SNARE Big Update, Release Date And New Screens 7th Nov

Started by Duckbutcher, Wed 12/04/2006 13:55:23

Previous topic - Next topic

DeviantGent

You're looking for a Baker type title, they tended to be quite simple. If you want a serial-esque title, I reckon something along the lines of 'Excalibur's Glory'. Simple and does what it says on the tin. What else... 'The Final Solution'?

Also, I know it's probably for reasons of time and not wanting to go through the tedium of doing a new sprite... but when the doc gets electrocuted, shouldn't he regenerate in his Davison persona?  ;D
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Eniena

The best titles I could think up were...

Time's Benefaction
Of Benefaction And Destruction

Duckbutcher

Here are two new screens,  8th July....

These pics show the Kuiper Space Station, a key location for the second and third parts of the game. The player will, for the most part, be able to travel to and from this location, the crashed ore carrier and a third location I'm keeping under wraps for now.

I've tried to make the station a bustling hub of activity - billboards flash, ships pass outside the windows and people wander around and talk amongst themselves. One problem I found with earlier backgrounds is how static they can sometimes look, so I've tried to put a bit of animation into every one of the station's backgrounds.

Star Trek fans may spot a couple of references in these screens - the Gorn is a placeholder from one of my (unreleased) other games and will be replaced with a proper character eventually, though I'm tempted to keep the Reliant as it looks so good drifting across the screen!

ShadeJackrabbit

Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

Cirius

Keep the Reliant, it fits the scene perfectly. Though perhaps you should put Kahn in the bar somewhere, having a short break after his massacre of the Regula I station...

Scarecrow

Quote from: davidnagel on Sat 14/10/2006 14:05:43
The original 3d Doctor Who Adventure Game was created by a chap called Scarecrow (didn't get his real name)

The site went down years ago, but there was a demo released of the game, featuring a 3d Tom Baker Doctor in 3d environments, outside the TARDIS was some 2d aliens.

So, Geoffkhan, if you're interested, I do have this original demo released. I do not know how I stand on redistribution, or even if I'm allowed! I'd rather see if Scarecrow reads this and tells me otherwise! But I think the chap passed away awhile ago - i don't know so don't hold me to it.

That'll be me, then!

Wow! I came across this project whilst reading Mr Butchers' Series 4 speculative plot synopsis list on Outpost Gallifrey. and I'm just blown away. You've done it, Mr Butcher. You've made the game I always wanted to make but never found the time to do it.

As Mr Nagel says, I released a demo - literally two rooms - made in AGAST many moons ago (and feel free to distribute as you wish Mr Nagel)  before discovering Dark Basic and starting over in 3D. I made a couple of models (Police Box, TARDIS control room, Dalek Tom Baker and a Cyberman) and it just sort of sat there not being made for a very long time before I conceded the fact that I'd bitten off so much I couldn't even fit it in my mouth, never mind chew it.

All that remains of my feeble effort now is a render of the console room on my Deviant Art gallery.

All the best with your game, DuckButcher. I absolutely love it.

Scarecrow

PS - if you're not going to seperate each episode into an individual game then can you please - for the love of god - include a save/load option!!!?
Wayne Peters
Senior Artist - Blitz Games, Leamington

Duckbutcher

Quote from: Scarecrow on Tue 10/07/2007 09:20:38
That'll be me, then!

Wow! I came across this project whilst reading Mr Butchers' Series 4 speculative plot synopsis list on Outpost Gallifrey. and I'm just blown away. You've done it, Mr Butcher. You've made the game I always wanted to make but never found the time to do it.

As Mr Nagel says, I released a demo - literally two rooms - made in AGAST many moons ago (and feel free to distribute as you wish Mr Nagel)  before discovering Dark Basic and starting over in 3D. I made a couple of models (Police Box, TARDIS control room, Dalek Tom Baker and a Cyberman) and it just sort of sat there not being made for a very long time before I conceded the fact that I'd bitten off so much I couldn't even fit it in my mouth, never mind chew it.

All that remains of my feeble effort now is a render of the console room on my Deviant Art gallery.

All the best with your game, DuckButcher. I absolutely love it.

Scarecrow

PS - if you're not going to seperate each episode into an individual game then can you please - for the love of god - include a save/load option!!!?

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Scarecrow. I'm heading over to look at your artwork now!

And there IS a Save/Load feature! Press F5. I'm not sure I put this in the 'Readme' to be honest, so sorry about that!

The downloadable game as it stands is still a 'Work in progress' and has a few bugs, these will be all ironed out by the final release date...whenever that is...but glad you liked it!

Scarecrow

Quote from: Duckbutcher on Tue 10/07/2007 16:20:02
...And there IS a Save/Load feature! Press F5. I'm not sure I put this in the 'Readme' to be honest, so sorry about that!...

Ah! That could very well be me not paying attention. Real Dads don't read instructions and all that.
Sorry! :-[

Actually, all this has inspired me. Whilst I'm not entertaining any ideas of reviving the project, I might put a page up on my website with all the concept art and design work from my game.

Crow
Wayne Peters

Scarecrow

...And lo! 'twas done.

Loads of images and artwork plus both AGAST and Dark BASIC demos to download. On top of all that, a Dalek 3D screensaver. See how much I love you all?

Crow's Dr WHO Adventure Game Page
Wayne Peters

Duckbutcher

Quote from: Scarecrow on Wed 11/07/2007 15:28:42
...And lo! 'twas done.

Loads of images and artwork plus both AGAST and Dark BASIC demos to download. On top of all that, a Dalek 3D screensaver. See how much I love you all?

Crow's Dr WHO Adventure Game Page

Wow. That's great. A lot more like what a modern, commercial looking Who game would look like. Not really the sort of thing I'm aiming for with mine  obviously...*cough*IonlyknowhowtouseDpaint!*cough*

In a way I'm glad you never finished it though, becuase from the looks of it no one would have even looked at my effort! ;)

Groogokk

The screenshots look absolutely fantastic! You can tell how cool they are from the fact that I'm looking forward to this game although I never liked the TV series.  ;)

ShadeJackrabbit

Quote from: Duckbutcher on Wed 11/07/2007 16:13:32
In a way I'm glad you never finished it though, becuase from the looks of it no one would have even looked at my effort! ;)
Seeing the few amount of Doctor Who adventure games, I still would've looked at yours Duckbutcher...

Scarecrow

Quote from: Duckbutcher on Wed 11/07/2007 16:13:32

On the contrary, the artwork in your game is great - especially in the second episode.
I've just completed the second episode and I have to say, whilst mine might have looked pretty, it wouldn't have been as entertaining or challenging as yours. I may be an artist but I'm no game designer! :)

I love the way you've handled the TARDIS interior too. Being able to jump from one room to another is much better than having to navigate a maze of corridors in realtime. Nice one.
I especially like the library. The fact that you can go up to the balcony is a nice touch.

...and the Dark Knight returns really is Frank Miller's finest hour :)

Crow
Wayne Peters

davidnagel

The great Scarecrow speaks!

My lord Scarecrow how long has it been... I must say I still sit in awe of your graphics for your game, a real shame it never got finished, maybe one day... Love the new additions to the page, especially that Cyberman! :-p

but more the better than we do have a continuing game of WHO, duckbutcher fabulous new screengrabs - care if I upload them to the website? speaking of which, do keep me informed when you have the next part available and I will make it available from the website AQAP.

I must confess I have not finished playing part two as of yet since I am getting married come September and all the wedding plans have seen me have little time to post here!

all the best to all of you.

Duckbutcher

Feel free to add the new screenies! And yes, you'll be my first port of call when the game is ready for public use. It won't be for a while yet though, I reckon.

I don't want to give a date, as I feel that my rushing towards the deadline of the last demo was a contributing factor in it having quite a few bugs.

Congrats on the marriage BTW!

dunnoson

I would like to offer my services as a betatester.
currently working on:

I am in the Brainstorming stage.  Also am trying to gather a team.
I am committing to this game.

Thinking about creating another game, NCIS themed.

Duckbutcher

Hi everyone, just a quick note and a cry for help really...Originally, when I began this project, it was a bit of fun I was doing casually in my spare time. Now however, I've decided it would be nice if I could make it as good as I possibly can. So with that in mind, I've been re-doing some of the more clunky aspects of the game - certain animations and backgrounds for example have been updated and in some cases completely replaced.

HOWEVER...I'm NOT a professional by any stretch of the imagination and there are still a lot of things I can't get my head - or mouse - around. One of these is the TARDIS spinning in space. If ANYONE can work some wonders with this, I'd be very grateful and you'd recieve a full credit. Remember it has to look good in 300X200 resolution! The effect I'm after is the one you'll all be familiar with from the show - the TARDIS spinning as if hanging from a string at its light. There is a TARDIS animation in the game, but I'm really not happy with it so any help would be appreciated. PM me if interested!

Here's the image of the landed TARDIS for reference. It would be nice if the TARDIS in flight matched this one as well as possible.

Edit - the TARDIS door should be shut, sorry about that...

stevetheblack

I've been looking for a Doctor Who adventure game for so long!  I was even considering making one myself, except I can't draw to save my life.  Thank god that I don't have to now, your game is brilliant!

There are a couple of spelling mistakes (I think I actually spotted 3 overall, and they seem more like accidental typos than lack of dictionary usage) but it doesn't subtract from the game at all.  I'm liking the whole serialised aspect of it all.  The whole episode and cliff-hanger thing is really well done.

The little jokes were very good too, especially the outfits in the wardrobe.  The description of the leather jacket is genius :)

Oh, and kudos for mentioning my little hometown and its famous roundabouts, it always surprises me when it gets a mention, even though the Basingstoke roundabout seemed to be extraordinarily famous amongst British TV shows in the 80's.

Can't wait for episode 3!

Cirius

Your timing is impeccable mr Butcher, I was in the process of touching up my spinning tardis animation,  idly looking over the forum, when lo and behold...

It should be done by the end of the day. Once it's finished, I'l upload it for you.
This is a little taster of what the TARDIS will look like.

I think I copied one of the frames incorrectly, but you get the general gist.

AT67

I'm having a problem trying to download the demo from filefront. Whenever I click on the link it just reverts to the home page.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk