Indiana Jones and the Crown of Solomon - Summer is here. Time to wrap up CoS!!

Started by cjhrules, Tue 17/05/2005 16:26:10

Previous topic - Next topic

ciborium

So far the only thing I found is that when Indy looks at the scissors; he says, "It's a scissors."

It should be: "It's some scissors." or "It's a pair of scissors."

It's a plural noun because there are two blades.
It doesn't really make sense, but you can't have only one scissors.

Jimmy Harris

How do I escape from the castle? I have the whip and scissors.

MalleTheRedPhoenix

Quote from: Jimmy Harris on Fri 14/04/2006 09:17:19
How do I escape from the castle? I have the whip and scissors.

Spoiler
Push the candles from the table!
[close]
;)

I liked the demo. It has the typical Indiana Jones atmosphere and puzzles. The only thing I don't really like are the face-directons to some objects. When he looks at an item he watchs to the false direction sometimes. But you have done a really good job.

I see forward for the complete game.  ;)

DutchMarco

1) How do I fight? It's been a while since I've played Indy3 so I can't remember the keys. There's no manual, at least a simple "operator's instruction" (what keys do what?) would be in order.

2) When fighting, I pauze the game using the space bar, the "pauze bar" appears and the guard keeps knocking me down. Also I don't really enjoy the chance of dying, if possible the only outcome of a lost fight would be to have to try it again. But that's my opinion, your may vary  ;D BTW with random button-pushing I did manage to beat him so it's not that bad.

3) I found a stray pixel in this room: http://home.planet.nl/~ooije375/ags/indylc2-scrnshot01.png and since you used the same columns in multiple rooms, you'll find it in the room with the knocked-out guard, too. (BTW clever reuse, that)

4) At the car:
Spoiler
I opened the trunk with the scissors, got the uniform, then retried opening the trunk and Indy repeats "It's locked". But I already unlocked it once. This doesn't make sense.
[close]

5) Every item I look at, Indy says "It's a ......". For the finished game there should be more varied decriptions. Just think back to those DOTT, Indy and MI games!

6) When Indy speaks, most sentences don't have a period (.) at the end. This seems a bit odd to me.

7)
Spoiler
Use small flag with uniform? This was a last ditch attempt for me. When it was on the wall, the flag was much to big to be a small arm band for the uniform.
[close]

I'll update this post later as I test more. But first I'll need to know for sure which keys do what when fighting because I just died again!

BTW even though the "old Indy3 style" graphics could do with updating, it does already look very nice. Hope you get all the screens as good as the Indy4 style screens though! Indy3 looks nice, Indy4 looks great! Keep up the good work.

cjhrules

Quote from: ciborium on Fri 14/04/2006 02:58:07
So far the only thing I found is that when Indy looks at the scissors; he says, "It's a scissors."

It should be: "It's some scissors." or "It's a pair of scissors."

It's a plural noun because there are two blades.
It doesn't really make sense, but you can't have only one scissors.

already fixed in the current version uploaded a few hours ago ;)

cjhrules

Quote from: DutchMarco on Fri 14/04/2006 12:31:58
1) How do I fight? It's been a while since I've played Indy3 so I can't remember the keys. There's no manual, at least a simple "operator's instruction" (what keys do what?) would be in order.

2) When fighting, I pauze the game using the space bar, the "pauze bar" appears and the guard keeps knocking me down. Also I don't really enjoy the chance of dying, if possible the only outcome of a lost fight would be to have to try it again. But that's my opinion, your may varyÃ,  ;D BTW with random button-pushing I did manage to beat him so it's not that bad.

3) I found a stray pixel in this room: http://home.planet.nl/~ooije375/ags/indylc2-scrnshot01.png and since you used the same columns in multiple rooms, you'll find it in the room with the knocked-out guard, too. (BTW clever reuse, that)

4) At the car:
Spoiler
I opened the trunk with the scissors, got the uniform, then retried opening the trunk and Indy repeats "It's locked". But I already unlocked it once. This doesn't make sense.
[close]

5) Every item I look at, Indy says "It's a ......". For the finished game there should be more varied decriptions. Just think back to those DOTT, Indy and MI games!

6) When Indy speaks, most sentences don't have a period (.) at the end. This seems a bit odd to me.

7)
Spoiler
Use small flag with uniform? This was a last ditch attempt for me. When it was on the wall, the flag was much to big to be a small arm band for the uniform.
[close]

I'll update this post later as I test more. But first I'll need to know for sure which keys do what when fighting because I just died again!

BTW even though the "old Indy3 style" graphics could do with updating, it does already look very nice. Hope you get all the screens as good as the Indy4 style screens though! Indy3 looks nice, Indy4 looks great! Keep up the good work.

1. fight with the numeric keys. if you face right 9,6,3 and if you face left 7,4,1

GarageGothic

Quote from: cjhrules on Fri 14/04/2006 13:11:011. fight with the numeric keys. if you face right 9,6,3 and if you face left 7,4,1

For the full game, please keep in mind that not everyone has a numeric keyboard (such as laptop users)

DutchMarco

Quote from: GarageGothic on Fri 14/04/2006 13:49:38
For the full game, please keep in mind that not everyone has a numeric keyboard (such as laptop users)
True but you could use the numeric keys above the alphabetic keys, that's how I accidentally won my first fight! :o ;D Now that I know how the fighting works, the fights are almost too easy.

Some more tidbits:
1) Outside the castle,
Spoiler
I use the whip with the wires before reaching the edge: then Indy walks to the edge, walks back then uses whip.
[close]
You don't notice this if you walk all the way to the edge first, in fact that's why I didn't see it first.

Mind you, that's a cracking animation! Good work!

2) "It's a Oriental carpet" is not quite right, he should say "It's an oriental carpet". ("an" instead of "a", and small-caps "o" instead of capitalized "O")

3)
Spoiler
look at carpet fringes, find small brass key
[close]
This was a pixel hunt, with no clues whatsoever.

4) for a more authentic look, maybe you could replace the stock AGS Sierra-style save/load/quit interface with a more LEC-like interface. There are some examples floating around the net with complete GUIs, maybe you could borrow the graphics and logic from them and update them to suit your game.

5) the perspective of the guard house to the right looks wrong. Also, the red zones run at 2 different angles.

5a) (nitpicking a bit here) Inside the guard house, there is lots of room between the door and window, and the door is at the far left side of the room. Outside, the door is more to the middle and there's not enough room to allow for a big table with radio in between.

As for now, I'm stuck outside the airport, I can't open the bar. What should I do? I do have the statue. ;D nice touch!

(BTW I hope you understand that this is all constructive criticism! You've done a cracking job so far, keep it up!)

Afflict

Lol the pespective stuff I raised this point ages ago and never changed... anyway so lol dont go there.

Things i noticed still.. The house you enter the pixels for the windows are still 2x2 looks like but when your outside its 1x1 (even in the zoom in)

nazi symbols backwards at airport..

cjhrules

for a more authentic look, maybe you could replace the stock AGS Sierra-style save/load/quit interface with a more LEC-like interface. There are some examples floating around the net with complete GUIs, maybe you could borrow the graphics and logic from them and update them to suit your game.

are you kidding me?! Do you press "F5" to save? that brings up the save interface from the fate of atlantis....

As for now, I'm stuck outside the airport, I can't open the bar. What should I do?

Spoiler
Use wire with bar control
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

It's very nice (and better to play in your new demo version with skippable intro as well), however some minor critic:

- Why don't you use punctuation in your dialogs? It makes the game appear more unprofessional than it is, really!
- Don't quit the game automatically because Indy died. Although we don't have to watch through the whole intro again, it's still a pain to restart the game every time he dies.
- At the airport, the waving flag is obviously an object, because you can see the GUI change once the mouse hovers over the flag. This looks strange, however, because you can't interact with it.

And I need a hint, too... :)

Spoiler
I am at the airport scene. The guard stands inbetween me and the plane and the zeppeline. I can't walk back and I can't use any other hotspot than the plane. I do have only the officer uniform but whenever I try to do anything, the guard calls me, identifies me and I lose...
[close]

cjhrules

cjhrules

Quote from: dkh on Fri 14/04/2006 16:20:30

And I need a hint, too... :)

Spoiler
I am at the airport scene. The guard stands inbetween me and the plane and the zeppeline. I can't walk back and I can't use any other hotspot than the plane. I do have only the officer uniform but whenever I try to do anything, the guard calls me, identifies me and I lose...
[close]

Spoiler
have you used the aircraftman uniform?
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

Argh, that's a dead end. I didn't pick it up and can't go back anymore!

Allright, I can't wait to see how the game goes on, so I'll play it through again! :)

Keep it up, can't wait for the full game!

cjhrules

Quote from: dkh on Fri 14/04/2006 16:32:09
Argh, that's a dead end. I didn't pick it up and can't go back anymore!

Allright, I can't wait to see how the game goes on, so I'll play it through again! :)

Keep it up, can't wait for the full game!

Spoiler
Don't forget to plug the radio back in aswell...
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

cjhrules:

Thanks for the help, but:

Spoiler
I plugged the radio back in, but I could never take the green uniform, because Indy said he wasn't sure if he needed it... Now I am stuck again. :)
[close]

cjhrules

Quote from: dkh on Fri 14/04/2006 16:43:56
cjhrules:

Thanks for the help, but:

Spoiler
I plugged the radio back in, but I could never take the green uniform, because Indy said he wasn't sure if he needed it... Now I am stuck again. :)
[close]

Spoiler
try to look at it
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

Ah, ok. I got it, although that is not very good puzzle design, in my opinion.

But still, the graphics were really good and mixed well with the older ones. An outro wouldn't have heard either, but I guess we'll get all that in the full game. :D

seaduck

Well, that was fun! And great graphics too!

Wow, so many ways to die or get stuck just in the demo.. the full game will probably be hellÃ,  ;)

Anyway, great job, can't wait for Christmas!

(Some observations: I noticed that the soldier at the airport says "Zepeline" instead of "Zeppelin". The wind thingie obviously has some invisible label, like ' ', because when you point your mouse at it, the "Walk to" text moves a bit to the left.)

DutchMarco

Quote from: cjhrules on Fri 14/04/2006 16:14:17
for a more authentic look, maybe you could replace the stock AGS Sierra-style save/load/quit interface with a more LEC-like interface. There are some examples floating around the net with complete GUIs, maybe you could borrow the graphics and logic from them and update them to suit your game.

are you kidding me?! Do you press "F5" to save? that brings up the save interface from the fate of atlantis....
I use F5 to save. Here are some screenshots: http://home.planet.nl/~ooije375/ags/indylc2-sierragui.png

BTW I have the version from earlier today, which still reads "It's a scissors". You changed that shortly after I downloaded the demo. I don't know what else you've changed in that version, maybe I should get the latest one.

Some more small issues (mostly icing on the cake):
1) I've found this, the walkbehinds seem rather crude on this screen. When Indy's behind a bush, he is covered by a black rim surrounding the bush:
http://home.planet.nl/~ooije375/ags/indylc2-walkbehinds01.png

2) Picking up the airman's uniform.
Spoiler
You apparently presumed that the player would try to pickup first, then look. But if you look without picking up first, Indy says: "Wait a minute!". That phrase only makes sense if you've tried to pick it up first, and Indy said he didn't need it. By looking at it, he changes his mind
[close]

3) It's "zeppelin", not "zepeline". Think of the bandname ;)

4) Some animation when Indy changes clothes would be cool. Now he just flashes from one attire to the next.

5) Maybe allow the player to walk through the gate without opening it to drive the car through? Give him fewer points if he does.

6) The maps have lines running from unnamed spot to unnamed spot. It would make more sense if you added names like "Airport", "Castle Brunwald" etc. to the beginning and end points for Indy's voyages.

Most of my "issues" are really harmless and just icing on the cake. The atmosphere is really captivating! I really am looking forward to playing the full game.

Oh thanks for the tip, I don't know why this didn't occur to me! I've finished the game with 91 points.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk