[ ON HOLD ] King's Quest 4

Started by Karens, Sun 15/01/2012 09:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

smaug

Which, of course, is much closer in time, than early spring! Especially in the part of the world which I live in, where early spring can easily be defined as the month of April! May the Gods of programming and coding take kindly to you, and make your Quest swift and free of peril..!

splat44

Wow I didn't realized it was that soon! Looking forward to test this!

Karens

Yep :-) thanks!

a little update, the man hating whale! :O
http://i46.tinypic.com/u4fhz.jpg

Frodo

That whale is AWESOME!  :grin:

smaug

That was one fantastic looking whale, surely he is the Prince of Whales (???), and a great, great picture! I suddenly had a flashback to the first time I witnessed the classic 1956 film version of Moby Dick, at the tender age of 10 or 11. It took a firm grip of my imagination and interest, and has never let go!

I was just wondering whether this picture is a still, taken from an animated cut scene, or if it is a standalone piece? Regardless it is a work of art..!

Karens

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 13/02/2013 01:31:31
That whale is AWESOME!  :grin:

Thank you Frodo :-)

Quote from: smaug on Sun 17/02/2013 18:43:08
That was one fantastic looking whale, surely he is the Prince of Whales (???), and a great, great picture! I suddenly had a flashback to the first time I witnessed the classic 1956 film version of Moby Dick, at the tender age of 10 or 11. It took a firm grip of my imagination and interest, and has never let go!

I was just wondering whether this picture is a still, taken from an animated cut scene, or if it is a standalone piece? Regardless it is a work of art..!

hehe! that's a funny remark, and we do need some funny whale quotes for the game..hmm... ;)
but no, this is a pic from the demo, only a still. If I could animate with that kind of render quality I'd be up there with DIsney and Pixar I think :-) , and just rendering one still like this takes about 2-3 hours of render time :(

Those animated movies usually need many network farms of computers to generate all that high end 3d, it all takes an enormous amount of computing power and time,, Im just a happy wannabe amateur :)

smaug

Well, one picture can tell a whole story, and that certainly is the case with this whale picture. I have been, and continue to be, an avid comics reader, and I have many single frames, particulary those masterpieces from Carl Barks, burned right into the back of my brain, and there they will stay, for as long as I live. Much the same applies to this wonderful whale picture...

As for Disney and Pixar, they might just headhunt you, if they ever get hold of a copy of the full game, once it is released...

Karens

Quote from: smaug on Mon 18/02/2013 21:13:27
Well, one picture can tell a whole story, and that certainly is the case with this whale picture. I have been, and continue to be, an avid comics reader, and I have many single frames, particulary those masterpieces from Carl Barks, burned right into the back of my brain, and there they will stay, for as long as I live. Much the same applies to this wonderful whale picture...

As for Disney and Pixar, they might just headhunt you, if they ever get hold of a copy of the full game, once it is released...

Thank you! that's mighty sweet of you to say Øyvind! If I were a person who blushed this would be the time!  heheh :-),
I guess the whale is a bit cartoony, cause I changed the teeth, they're actually a couple of human teeth I stole from a daz model, as you can see from the inside of the whale (same set of teeth),, and it'll look better when animated,,

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/Karenssss/whale_screen2_zps22e6bc45.jpg

also, if you have any ideas for what to put in the bottle, plug, in the stomach (of the whale), like something funny maybe,, please let me know, so we could add that to the demo. In the original it was just a cheesy sales ad for hintbooks,, but, hmm!, ,maybe we could have it like the man in there, the skeleton, wrote something before he died,, maybe trying to throw it out the blowhole in vain,,
"Please help me, if anyone finds this I'm inside the whale,, no kidding!".... hmm :-)

smaug

And it is done, I think...

Karens

heheh, that's is really cool, I love the plug idea, and the Italian-ENglish way of writing, funny, I will present the idea to the team, but I doubt they will object, this would be perfect for the plug, and very fairytale-ish in the style of the rest of the game,, and I like how it's revealed little by little when reading it, nice!

ps: could you remove this post? as to keeping it a surprise for the people trying out the demo, as for the letter, you can use my email;
sjokokroko@hotmail.com

heheh,, so cool :PP

Karens

The demo is being finalized, so we need play testers,
those interested can email me at;

sjokokroko@hotmail.com

or visit our forums at;

http://unicorntales.org/kq4-perilsofrosella-remake/forum/Forum-Joining-the-project

smaug

I do not see myself as a qualified tester, by any means, but I beg that you make sure you acquire the fastest and speediest testers avaliable, so we, the fans, can enjoy the demo as soon as absolutely possible..!

Karens

Yes, hopefully it won't be too long now! :)

Frodo

I emailed you, to volunteer as play tester   :smiley:

arj0n

I would have volunteered but I have to much test-projects running now, sorry.
But you've Frodo on board, so your project is in good hands  :)

Karens

Yeah, we have a few testers on board now so I think the demo will be out shortly :)

Shadow1000

WOW! Can't wait! Thanks, Karen!!

SHADOW

Karens

smaug

I have now played through the demo, for a second time, and I would like to share some of my thoughts regarding the demo...

Where to start?

The visuals are breathtakingly beautiful! The backgrounds, Rosella herself, the talk portrait (with matching facial expressions), they are all exceptionally well excecuted! This world is vibrant, beautifully textured and lit, in short: It is alive!

The sounds are ambient, non obtrusive and help make the few demo screens live and breathe! The subtle arrangement of Greensleeves was perfect as pre- and post score, and especially effective and emotional during the closing scene, with Rosella and the unicorn. I almost had a tear in the corner of my eye, there, for a moment...

The puzzles were great! Not to reveal too much, but I really liked the whistle puzzle!

My favorite moment? The shark attack(s)! Complete with John Williams' immortal two-tone cello chug! I will tell you, my hair stood out in the back of my neck!

I honestly believe that this project will set new standards in amateur game making, and certainly in remaking of classic games, that other developers will strive to meet, for years to come! If the original KQ4, (itself a sizeable technical leap in the adventure game genre) nowadays can be seen as an old twelve inch, black and white TV movie, then this remake is a glorious 60 inch LED TV, widescreen, HD, 7:1 surround version of the same movie!

Keep up the amazing, brilliant work, and thank you for letting us share in the magic..!   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk