[ ON HOLD ] King's Quest 4

Started by Karens, Sun 15/01/2012 09:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgrondo

Karens if you want to prepare an italian translation of the game send me a PM when the game will be ready and finished. I'm a "pro" translator.

Edit:
I've played the demo, it's really nice. I can give you a couple of advices: Could you insert more "jokes" please? i mean... when you try to talk with an animal or with a tree, the player is expecting some jokes in Sierra style. And please, don't use this formula "The debris doesn't need your %s." for objects: it works in english language, but if you want to translate the game in other languages, that "%s" could be a problem. In italian and french language (for example), every "noun" must to be preceeded by an "article", the articles could be fem. or ma., it depends from the "noun" that they preceed. So a translator have to write "I detriti non hanno bisogno di un\a %s." where "Un" is for ma. noun and "una" is for fem. noun. "Un/a" (in french un/e) it's ugly, so please, if it's possible, write the same kind of line for every object without using the "%s". Obviously if it's possible and if you consider to develope future translations. 

Karens

Hi Smaug, sorry for the super late reply! I've been without my pc for ages, my video card went kaput and I've had no access to the password etc, but let me say, wow, that is absolutely the nicest review and comments we've gotten by far, so sweet! and it really helps the spirit and motivation for keeping up the good work, the game is still going strong! and the Gepetto note was genius, we will be sure to use your help now and then for ideas and inspiration, really clever :-)

Hope you're doing good up there in the north! :-)

Karens

Quote from: Sgrondo on Fri 17/05/2013 02:44:52
Karens if you want to prepare an italian translation of the game send me a PM when the game will be ready and finished. I'm a "pro" translator.

Edit:
I've played the demo, it's really nice. I can give you a couple of advices: Could you insert more "jokes" please? i mean... when you try to talk with an animal or with a tree, the player is expecting some jokes in Sierra style. And please, don't use this formula "The debris doesn't need your %s." for objects: it works in english language, but if you want to translate the game in other languages, that "%s" could be a problem. In italian and french language (for example), every "noun" must to be preceeded by an "article", the articles could be fem. or ma., it depends from the "noun" that they preceed. So a translator have to write "I detriti non hanno bisogno di un\a %s." where "Un" is for ma. noun and "una" is for fem. noun. "Un/a" (in french un/e) it's ugly, so please, if it's possible, write the same kind of line for every object without using the "%s". Obviously if it's possible and if you consider to develope future translations. 

Hi Sgrondo, thanks for the reply and interesting info! We're currently wondering if we should do the demo in French, but we'll see, (if we decide to do an Italian version you will surely hear from us! :-)

and yeah, absolutely ,about jokes, we do try to make more funny quotes, comments and jokes, having more elaborate, long jokes might not suit the rather short narration comments, but we will defin. try to make things more funny, the original also had some really funny stuff, so we also try to use that first and then alter, modify things if it gets too corny :-)

Thanks,

Damian

This game looks beautiful

smaug

Well, in my opinion, credit should be given, where credit is due, and that is certainly the case with this project!

And I would also like to mention that I am very glad that you chose to present the game in the 3D sprite/2D background form, firstly because I think it makes it much easier to compare your remake with the original and recognise the backgrounds (and marvel at the brilliant updates) and as such it is a truly great homage to the original game.
And secondly, simply because I tend to get very lost, very quickly, in a fully 3D rendered landscape. I remember I did not quite get the hang of, otherwise great games like Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island or even The Silver lining, but, of course, this is surely just a case of habit, on my part.

If there is any small way I can contribute to this project, I would be honoured and thrilled to do so!

Here, up north, the summer has really settled and taken hold! Unfortunately my holiday is still a month away, but when it comes, I plan on one or two short trips down south. I might even make it as far as Bergen, actually, as I have a friend who lives and works at Mongstad...

Karens

Thanks Damian :)

Yeah, there is something about a 2d bg that is easier to navigate and walk through, I agree.
I also find myself lost in 3d games at times, I love fps games though, like Dragon Age or role playing games like FInal Fantasy etc, I love those, but I usually have to explore every little detail and room so, it can get exhausting X),
but I will never stop loving 2d painted adv. games, point and click games. They will be around for a long, long time imo, even if most gaming 'experts' predicted extinction ten years ago, we still love them cause they're easy to get into, navigate, and beautiful to look at without all kinds of 3d effects flying around. Sometimes it just nicer having a storybook kind of game where you read things on-screen instead of doing them all in 3d,

ah, my step dad worked at Mongstad once as well!, now he works for some other oil company and earns a shi** load of money! lucky bastard X)

if you're instered, we do actually need your help Øyvind :), We're talking about adding some books in the ghost house, which deals with the history of Tamir and the Unicorn/pirates story,, (which has to be created), I dunno if you're interested, but if you are, please let us know! :) (just email me),

We also need a permanent team member to do narrations, they should be light-hearted and funny, and also interesting and clever, so of course I thought of you :), but again, you can think about it and let us know, it would however be amazing to have you on our team though!

We also need a person to do walk behind masks, if anyone is interested, email me at; sjokokroko@hotmail.com

Karens

the final poster for the remake game;

kaput

I'll be honest and say that the portrait in the middle is really cool, I'm not sure it reflects the story perfectly, but it's appealing. The border kind of ruins it, though. It's a nice logo form you have chosen, but the border and other font choices kind of cheapen it for me. I say do away with the border - you don't need it. The subtitle looks a little insignificant and the text at the bottom looks (sorry) like an after thought. You guys are awesome with the graphics in this game and have done a seriously great job thus far. I'd hate to see the cover (really important) tarnish the game.

smaug

I love the poster, I think it is magnificent! If this were the cover of a DVD, or a book, I know I would simply have to buy a copy! As this actually is a cover for a computer game, I simply have to play the game! But then I knew that, allready..!

By the way, Karens, did you manage to convert the last files I sent you..?

Karens

Thanks for the compliments! :-)

Penguin; I agree that the border and text are somewhat big and take up a lot of space, but, I really wanted it to look like a 90's KQ game box, that's the idea behind the look :)
but I will defin. think about it though, making it smaller, it's an interesting idea, but, Im not sure if maybe the text and game title would end up too small, and hard to make out, especially the top one with  glows and star shine etc, but thanks for the input! and likewise with the comments on the ROsella talk portraits, it means a lot to hear that! I was very unsure about the new edits, but hearing that makes me feel a lot better about them! :-)

Smaug, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, Ive been swamped with work lately, but I love the story and it's really good!, it just needs some editing length wise, but I don't really want to cut out anything without your approval, so Im trying to find a compromise.
I will send you an email and reply in a couple of days! and thank you again for contributing with your awesome ideas and stories, it'll make Tamir a much more exciting place to explore! :)

a little update, some final talk portraits,

smaug

Beautiful, beautiful talk portraits! The ones with Rosella in her royal gown, and those of Genesta would have to be my favorites. The ones of Genesta take the character in a more fairylike direction, as opposed to her original appearance, and I, for one, find that very interesting and fitting. Not to mention the fact that she is very beautiful..!

BornOfBlackEarth

The models look great!  I can tell, there's a lot of love put into this production!  I agree with the choice of picking KQ4 for a remake.  KQ6, for example, really got the royal treatment.  It would be a shame to remake KQ6.  But "Perils of Rosella" is one that has been begging for a revamp for quite a long time.

I am quite curious to know how the game engine works, once it reaches that phase.  Keep us posted!  And of course, love to AGSers all around the world!!!

Karens

Thanks smaug and bornofblackeart! :-))

and yeah, SMaug; I guess Genesta and Lolotte probably has more of a fairytale look to them, like a very classic (almost cliche!?:) look, but then again, I didn't care for the very barbie doll kind of look ROsella and Genesta had in the original, while Lolotte looked like an old hag, I wanted her to be more dolled up and , well,, sexy is maybe not the right word for Lolotte :), but more so than Genesta that I saw as a more inncocent, child like character, (maybe a bit helpless as to the more direct, powerful Lolotte who just takes what she wants), it fits nicely with the "please help me Rosella, Im just a small helpless fairy..." X),

Here are some closeups in Genesta's bedroom,

smaug

Gorgeous pictures, as always! I really like the shiny look of the marble floor! I do not think a bed room can get any more "fairyish" than this..!

chaiavi

I am so sorry to be the bearer of these sad news.

I think this is the best thread to write them though.

Karen S, had some health complications which she didn't come out from, may her soul rest in peace.

Karen was a very gifted artist and a close (though virtual) friend of mine and her passing is a big loss to me personally as it is a big loss to the community.

Karen contributed to several projects dedicating her time and talent without regard to herself.

Her greatest contribution to date is her remake to King's Quest IV the perils of Rosella as you can see from this thread.

I myself "met" her at this very thread, and when I saw her graphics I was so blasted away so I instantly offered her to create a team which will create the game using her graphics.

We created the "Unicorn Tales" team and started a site dedicated to this remake.

Karen gave her life essence to this game.
You are welcome to check the site and her art, as well as the progress of the game @ UnicornTales

The latest post talking about Karen's sudden departure can be found here

Farewell my friend,,

Andail

What sad news :(
My condolences!

smaug

I am left utterly flabbergasted by these sad ill news! I never met Karen, in person, but we corresponded quite a bit, and, as we both live in Norway, there was some loose talk about us meeting during next summer. Alas, this will now, never come to pass.
I was honoured to be asked by her, to make a small contribution to this extraordinary project, and her dedication, love for this project and vast talent shone through every bit of correspondense we had.

Not only this team, not only the AGS community, but the whole world of Adventure Gaming is a bit poorer, as Karen has left us.

Good bye, Karen. This world was never meant for someone as beautiful, like you...

Mandle

I did not know Karen, but her soul shows through her incredible artwork.

The community has suffered a major blow with the loss of this gifted artist.

I pray for her and I pray also that this project can somehow be completed in her honour.

Horribly sad news.

TheBitPriest

Very sad!  May she rest in peace.

Sslaxx

That is damned sad news.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk