Picaroon - The Lost Years - Part 1: Mysteries of the deep

Started by Electroshokker, Sun 11/09/2005 18:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Electroshokker

Quote from: stee-v-boy on Sat 17/12/2005 16:21:50
Hi there. Project looks good - I'm probably being thick but is there a demo? If so where is it?

There WAS a demo once... it featured not-so original graphics (though some were original), and was made for the sole purpose of showing the potential of the project. (aka recruitment)

UPDATE:

Right now the game development is improving and speeding up, with plans for an actual decent design document  :o  ;D 
We tried that earlier, but it never really took off... mainly 'cause we were still 'inventing' the project... untill now, that is.

Now the stage is basically set, and concept art, finished (!) art and more are starting to take off, thanks to the welcome addon of two new teammembers.

While I'm (sad to say) not gonna be available for quite some time (exams), the development will continue under the care of Captain Raptor untill I'm back.

as for the new demo, featuring wonderfull and exciting stuff, it won't be finished 'till sometime in february, at least.

That reminds me, I still have to update the first page to current status!

Electroshokker

UPDATE:

whoa... forgot about this place for a while.

time for an update:

you're probably wondering: why isn't there a demo yet?

well, the reason is the project got bigger, better and more ambitious.

that and the fact a few of us (me for one) had exams.

current status and plans:

sometime in March/April the first part + full intro (with avi movie bit) will be finished.

We'll then seek out a few select betatesters to give us feedback on it.

We won't release it public after that, though. This is not an episodic game, so that would be pointless.

The testing is only to see if we're on the right track and to correct it early on should it prove necessary.

Then we'll continue with the next part, once that's ready, another round of testing (and a new betatesting group), then the next, etc. upto part 7.

Then finally we'll release the whole thing when it's finished.

So stay tuned, check up on us once in a while, and who knows? Maybe you'll be on time for the betatesting of one of the parts. Maybe not. ;D ;)

Once we're ready I'll let you know when the first round of testing will begin and what kind of people we'll be looking for.

note: if you want this game to be finished sooner, we could still use a hand or 2 with the artwork... see the first post here or the website.

and to conclude, here's an appetizer:

see the website for more.

ildu

Quote from: storyteller on Fri 17/02/2006 12:39:03well, the reason is the project got bigger, better and more ambitious.

That sounds painfully familiar.

scourge

hey guys. Your project looks nice.

That bg looks exactly like the room in MI 1 on the ship to Monkey Island in the kitchen. Will we visit that ship again in your game?

[EDIT] Did i say it looks nice?? I meant it looks awesome!

CosmoQueen

Oh I know I'm gonna have fun with this one.

Please finish it!!! LoL
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

splat44

storyteller,

It great and now I understand what you are planning doing.

I do recall playing a demo of similar thing.

I would certainly like to be included among those beta testers. So be free to PM me.

I will track replies.

Regards

Electroshokker

Quote from: splat44 on Mon 20/02/2006 10:36:02I would certainly like to be included among those beta testers. So be free to PM me.

I'll let you know when the time comes.

For now, we've had a setback.  :( yet another artist quit on account of having too little spare time for us, which means we're now down to only 1 person who's coloring the pre-made background sketches. (and she hasn't exactly got tons of spare time either)

As a result, things have slowed down immensely.

If anyone feels interested helping out, contact me.

Steel Drummer

WOW :o this game looks promising. Keep up the bad work  ;D
I'm composing the music for this game:

Electroshokker

Quote from: yodaman11111 on Wed 08/03/2006 00:21:55
WOW :o this game looks promising. Keep up the bad work  ;D

;D

Zyndikate just joined up 2 days ago as a background/animation artist, and is hard at work.

Things are looking up... ;)

WD-40

it most certainly is!! I can give my personal guarantee that the game project is moving right along. 8)

Mordalles

Quote from: storyteller on Fri 17/02/2006 12:39:03

;D are we gonna have to find the key in the cereal box again? haha, i remember being stuck there for a long time all those years ago when i first played monkey island 1.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Electroshokker

Quote from: Mordalles on Sat 18/03/2006 19:58:41
;D are we gonna have to find the key in the cereal box again? haha, i remember being stuck there for a long time all those years ago when i first played monkey island 1.

no. sorry, the puzzles are completely different. (what dya expect, this ain't MI1, and besides, the ship has been sunk to the bottom of the ocean)

the game's moving along... here's another little thingy for you guys:

Scummbuddy

The ship was not necessarily sunk to the bottom of the ocean...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

DanClarke

all looks interesting! I'd just be wary of Lucasarts for something like this. Can you post some bigger versions of your art? It's really hard to tell what's what on the smaller ones.

Electroshokker

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Mon 20/03/2006 21:34:21
The ship was not necessarily sunk to the bottom of the ocean...

quite right. but ya have to make choices: sunk - not sunk... well, we already made the backgrounds, so sunk it is.

Quote from: DanClarke on Mon 20/03/2006 23:01:49
all looks interesting! I'd just be wary of Lucasarts for something like this.

Should LEC bother to ask us to stop (and no negotiating possible), we stop. Using MI names 'n stuff that is. We'd have to rework some of the art as well, but hey, that's life.

It's not impossible for us to remove all direct references to MI. It would then turn into a semi-parody piraty game about a former bigshot game hero and his fans vs the game industry, rather then an homage to the MI games (past, present and future).

But we'll cross that bridge should we come to it.

Quote from: DanClarke on Mon 20/03/2006 23:01:49Can you post some bigger versions of your art? It's really hard to tell what's what on the smaller ones.

Yes I could. and no, I won't. Currently most backgrounds finished are of part 1 (with an exception or two, the grog stand for example is of part 2), and I don't want to reveal all before it's even finished.

You want to see bigger versions? Sign up for betatesting when the time comes.

Yes, it's coming all right. Only 1 more background, a bunch of animations, and some finishing touches needed. If we decide to finish the complete intro first, it's gonna take a little longer. (but it'll be worth it, trust me!)

Oh, I almost forgot:

We need MUSIC COMPOSERS!

The game's really shaping up, but we still don't have any (well, ok, we got 1 original piece) music to go with it!

Electroshokker

Another little goody for you guys:

The inventory. (note: the items are NOT the final in-game items, those are still in the make. I ripped these of CMI)

Any thoughts?

Post them in our thread at the critics lounge.

Electroshokker

another update for you guys:

all our backgrounds are being reworked (once again) in order to get uniformity in style. Right now our backgrounds have all been made in very different styles (because of the many different background artists), which is really annoying.

Our lead artist now, Zyndikate, will now do all the sketches in order to get uniformity. (+ his style is really what we've been looking for, see the example a little lower.)

in other news, part 1 puzzles have been finalized (no more changes)

also, the GUI is now entirely finished, with everything in full working order.

Here's a screenie to show what we've been doing: (that's the verbcoin on which the mouse is resting)

.Sklate.

I must say, I'm really impressed with the new inventory screen shot. It even looks like when you hover over an item, it gets enlarged?  :o Wowee!

This project is looking good! I honestly hope that for whatever reasons, this project doesn't encounter any legal issues.

Hammerite

no thats not an enlarging item, thats a verb coin.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

.Sklate.

Oh yeah ;D Silly me...

The screenies still look good though! Hope to see more posted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk