Picaroon - The Lost Years - Part 1: Mysteries of the deep

Started by Electroshokker, Sun 11/09/2005 18:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

calacver

This is just about the best looking adventure out there. You make bill tiller proud!

Electroshokker

Quote from: CosmoQueen on Mon 18/09/2006 06:10:07
The game looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it!
Quote from: calacver on Mon 18/09/2006 22:38:25
This is just about the best looking adventure out there. You make bill tiller proud!

;) thanks guys! We really appreciate it.

Anyways, here's the latest news:

- new name: The RMI Project (revival of), the project's codename, now has transformed so much we decided on the official name. The new name will be revealed in due time.
- website in the works: It's been ages since we got time for it, but there's actually been some progress in designing our website. I can't say when it will go online ('cause I ain't got no clue when it'll be finished, much like the game itself), but I can say it will sport nice progress report stuff and easily updatable.
- background graphics going...slow. as usual. (current rate of progress: 1 background in about 2 weeks. (damn that's long! and that's provided they got enough time to work on it!), BUT on the plus side, the new backgrounds will look even better then the old ones. (which are also scheduled for some minor updates)
- character design and animations: nothing, nihil, nada, zip. Recruiting a decent character concept artist and animation artist is hard, so it seems. (especially if they gotta work for free) I tried contacting a few who seemed to be passionate about Monkey Island stuff, but no luck so far. (haven't had a single reply yet) :-\

If you know anyone who can design really nice characters (which fit the game style) or are one yourself, please do not hesitate to let us know!

- some 'special surpises'... have been made as well... ;D

All in all, looks like we got ourselves a really, really, really long road ahead of ourselves. But a new beginning's been made, and the future looks shiny now!

Electroshokker

Well, guys, this is it: the new (and final) name revealed:

MI - The Lost Years

we also got ourselves a small website now (of decent quality)

check it out!

dsg_charly

More MI, this is nice.

Keep up the good work, I know how hard it is to make decent graphics (since I'm alone making my game).

Please add more screenies and artwork, the website seems a little empty.

Electroshokker

Quote from: dsg_charly on Fri 13/10/2006 09:45:24
Please add more screenies and artwork, the website seems a little empty.

I added some new ones on the first page at the first page of this thread (note that the main character is currently being revamped)

as for the website: Once we've got enough backgrounds, sketches, screenshots etc. made to create a gallery it will be displayed in the media section.

For now the website's bare bones only. We're still focussing more on making the game itself then the website, after all.

fentongames

This looks really good! Much better than before!Ã,  :D

Maybe when the game is done, it can go head to head with the Fountain of Youth project.Ã,  ;)
Time Kid, coming this summer.

Daniel Thomas

I would like to add that none of those backgrounds in the screenshots are used nor final.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

ShadeJackrabbit

This is more exciting than... anything to do with monkey island. It looks really good. You guys should be paid money for this!

boojiboy

Is there still a demo of this for download?

gypsysnail

Wow Electroshokker! Those are gorgeous screenshots!!! I want to ask you, did you draw the graphics on paper and scan to computer, trace the lines and then do the rest of work in photoshop? I am asking this as I have not done backgrounds for a game before even though I am an artist and paint on canvases, and I am currently doing my first background this way, drew it on paper then scanned it and so on. Let me know and anyone else who reads this thread too and is working on or has done a game too, how you have done your backgrounds? I realise it is a much easier way than drawing from scratch on computer :).
Cheers, Snail
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

buloght

The game graphics are brilliant. I always like it when the talented folk like the loominous-people do the backgrounds (make a game you talented freak) and this would be what I would have in mind, so thank you guys, this is nothing short of professional, zyndicate (just realized you did the amazing zeppelin bg for the blitz).

Daniel Thomas

@gypsysnail: Yes, they're drawn on paper and then edited(almost always needed) in photoshop. The coloring is then done in layers below the lineart in photoshop.

@buloght: Thanks, hopefully the new backgrounds are even better (atleast I think they are), but Im not doing the coloring. The first background in the first page is not colored by me, but our former colorartist who left (we got a new one).

And yes, loominous, do a game now! :P
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

joelphilippage

Do you have a tutroial for those backgrounds?

Electroshokker

Quote from: joelphilippage on Fri 10/11/2006 13:09:50
Do you have a tutroial for those backgrounds?

No, it's all Zynd's work. Maybe if you ask him nicely he can make you one...

You might also want to take a look at How to Draw Monkeys the Lucas Arts Way: An Analysis of the Funny pictures in the Curse of Monkey Island by William 'Bill' Tiller (there's a pdf floating around somewhere with the same text + pictures) as it is a big inspiration.

QuoteThis is more exciting than... anything to do with monkey island. It looks really good. You guys should be paid money for this!

Nah.

- Exciting? => wait 'till we finish it, THEN get excited!  ;)
- Get paid for it? => Just the fact that a lot of folks like it is reward enough. We actually like making this game. I just hope that our puzzles, witty dialogs, music and other stuff will get as good a review from you folks as our art.

Speaking of which, we've still got a lot of work ahead of us. Better get back to it.

Da_Elf

i hope this is of some sort of use to you

EDIT opps forgot to add the link
http://www.scummbar.com/games/index.php?game=1&sub=info

Scummbuddy

Quote(there's a pdf floating around somewhere with the same text + pictures) as it is a big inspiration.

http://lucasstyle.com/tutorials.htm
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Electroshokker

@Scummbuddy: yep, that's the one. thx for the link.

News update:

1) We've decided to recruit an experienced dialog writer to help us out and speed things up a bit. If you feel a sudden urge to write monkey island dialogs coming up, check out this thread.

No-one on our team is a native english speaker, and while we do have our moments of brilliance, good dialogs don't come particularly easy or fast.

(And with me having a day-job (since last month) scriptwriting has slowed down enough already)

2) Backgrounds however are coming along nicely. With rush having joined our little band as a color artist, things are looking up.

3) I'm planning to update the website sometime soon by uploading new stuff you can look at and listen to... hope you got the ogg codec installed.

Electroshokker

News update:

Not 1, but 2 dialog writers have offered their services, and send me a sample of their work.
Therefor the 'dialog writer wanted' sign is removed... for now.

Let's hope one of them matches our high standards... :=  ;)

andy256

Hey Electroshokker, this looks fantastic i'm a big mi fan myself, would like to help out, but would not know where to apply myself, please email me if u need an extra helping hand.

Dan_N

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes and words to that effect. Electroshokker, this is a great ideea and quite brilliant. I saw that you've got the story almost finished... I wanted to add to that bit... even if it was just a little. I'm a big MI fan, although I've played only the first two games and half of the third. I must admit, I liked Ron Gilbert's style better. I also like what you've done with Guybrush. Given him his cool look I see, beard, coat. Brilliant, I really hope you guys'll finish it and I really hope LucasArts won't come down on you guys with the hammer of lawyers... Brilliant ideea, I'm behind it 100%! Keep up the good work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk