Picaroon - The Lost Years - Part 1: Mysteries of the deep

Started by Electroshokker, Sun 11/09/2005 18:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. Funnily enough, what you're getting is a MI game that graphically is starting to look and feel like Discworld II.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Dan_N

Fawfulhasfury is good.

Cyrus

Quote from: Electroshokker on Mon 05/02/2007 20:02:46
make a "deluxe" edition with full voice-overs and tons of extra little goodies.
What kind of goodies? Easter eggs?

Electroshokker

From now on I'm only give an update once a month and share some thoughts about our progress and answer any outstanding questions. There will be no more graphic updates.

June 2007 - Good times and free grog all around!

Celebrations all around as we've actually managed to get a full core team assembled! (geez, I wonder how long that'll last...  ::))

Finally, after all this time, we now got everyone we need busy helping create a great game!

...and that's all I'm saying this month  ;)

Q&A

Quote from: Cyrus on Wed 02/05/2007 09:10:40
What kind of goodies? Easter eggs?

At this point in time I will not reveal any such details. Let's just say that once (IF  ;D) the entire game is (GETS) finished you're going be able to figure it all out...

Regun

i am a big fan of monkey island so i have to play this game!!!

how soon do you think that the game is avaible???

SuperDre

The screenshots look amazing... keep up the great work...

Cyrus

Well, you've found an animator. Do you now have the release date of the act 1?

WD-40

Wow, this is looking really great. Can't wait to play the finished product. Keep up the good work!

scalad

Quote from: boojiboy on Sun 05/11/2006 03:01:13
Is there still a demo of this for download?

I would also like to know if there is a demo. I have tried looking but can't find one.

Cyrus

As Electroshokker already said, an earlier  version of TLY was planned: The Reveal of Mi project, which looked a lot different and had a demoversion. But this version is not going to have demo.

Electroshokker

Monthly update: July 2007 - The wheels are starting to turn.

Not much to mention this month. A roadmap was set up, goals were set and we're now slowly moving forward.
Some of our teammembers are on holiday, so in some fields progress is a little slower then in others.
I've been rather absent-minded of late, due to increased work pressure, but with my 2-week holiday starting monday, I can finally put my full attention back into game development.

Q&A

QuoteDo you now have the release date of the act 1?

Short answer: Before 2014.

Long answer: No. This project isn't about setting a release date and working towards it, it's about creating someting of excellent quality, and using as much time as is needed to get it done. It's very hard to predict when that'll be. I updated the main page of our website to display where we are in our roadmap. Check there to see how much closer we are to the completion op part 1.

QuoteIs there still a demo of this for download?

There never was a demo of MI - TLY. Waaaaay back, I wanted to build a small MI fangame, (hence the demo of which people talk at the beginning of this topic), but frankly, was quite a mess, and wouldn't have been very fun to play. That project, called RMI, was discontinued. The entire story was re-invented, the game puzzles re-designed, so that in the end you would be able to play a quality game, rather then a quick and poorly constructed one.

Once part 1 is completed and released, the reviews will help us decide whether or not to continue with The Lost Years.

Cyrus

Of course, you shouldn't sacrify quality for speed, we can wait as long as nesessary. By the way, I've seen some screenshots of this game's inventory... Are you going to use the plot line of the snake from MI3 and different objects eaten by her (including cereal, secret materials, etc.)?

Darth Mandarb

Cyrus ... since you obviously aren't willing to listen and take the question after question (after question after question) into PRIVATE MESSAGES as you should ... how about you wait for a few days, accumulating all your questions, and then ask them all in one post rather than cluttering up this thread.

It's not that difficult a concept to grasp ... really it's not.

Electroshokker

Monthly update: August 2007 - Filling in the missing pieces.

Things have been rather slow this month, with the main focus turning back to the script, puzzles and dialogs. While the main puzzles etc. were already written, many of the minor, detail stuff was still missing.
You know the kind, where you can try to interact with EVERYTHING and there's (at least) a witty comment for trying. So I've been filling in the blanks.

Electroshokker

Update: December 2007

Eghm, right, I was supposed to update this thread... ::)

Anyways, the good news is, all is going well, we got a full team and we're working very hard to get this game ready;

Still no expected betatesting date, since our animation team is still busy catching up.

...well, can't reveal any more... you're just gonna have to wait and see.  :-X

Got tons to do...

EDIT: oh, yeah, our main character's new look is finally ready, but I'm not showing him...just yet. I can tell you he looks very little like the previous versions. But this new one can actually walk around already...

Cyrus

I'm very glad to see you keep moving on. By the way, are you going to release a real trailer instead of the "Monkey Wars"?

Da_Elf

whoo hoo. this is great news. glad to hear things are heading in the right direction. i believe my project is stuck waiting at the bus stop and isnt going in any direction

Electroshokker

After a long silence I'm proud to present our brand new website and reveal what has been brewing in our development team chambers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
from our brand new FAQ:

What happened to MI - The Lost Years!?

"MI - The Lost Years" is now called "Picaroon - The Lost Years" In order to prevent copyright infringement, we've decided it was for the best to rename the game and characters, so nothing can ever prevent you from playing this wonderful game we've worked so hard on (and still are). "MI - The Lost Years" was inspired by the popular Monkey Island Game Series, but didn't have too many direct references, so it was easy enough to "convert" to a whole original game.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ohnoes! Will this delay the game even more?

Don't worry (really), this won't change the game that much. We already had designed our script and story so it wouldn't interfere with the 'old' MI reality (we had a new one, in a different time zone no less), so no worries there.

It's sad that we can't call our game an MI fangame anymore but we'd rather not risk getting shut down after all the hard work we've put into it.

Instead, we keep it at 'MI - inspired' and keep true to the spirit of MI as much as possible.

Check out the first post in this thread for some brand new screenshots (or just go straight ahead to our brand new website )

P.S. Did I mention our new website has LOADS of new content for you to check out?

(oh, and ignore the Picaroon logo in the screenshots. They're actual screenshots with the picaroon logo added afterwards)

Cyrus

Will the plot be ABSOLUTELY new or contain only some changes?

Peder 🚀

This looks sweet 8).

The new website looks really nice!
I dont think ive posted in this thread during its life but this game is looking really good!
And I can now officially add this game to my "games I'm looking forward to" list.

I had a listen to the music to, which also sounds really good!

Peder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk