Rise of the Hidden Sun - New Artwork - November 26, 2012 - "Off the Rails!"

Started by chapter11studios, Sun 06/05/2007 18:21:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenacious Stu

Beautiful game, will probably play this and spend most of the time drooling over the art. Is there a rough release date for this game?

Takyon

This game rouses all sorts of nostalgia in me. It's almost the same feeling I got when I first installed the CoMI demo when I was about 8-years-old.
ghost.

chapter11studios

(click for full-size)

Newly finished screen! See if you can spot all the differences from the pencil-and-paper versions I posted last year.

Edit by Darth - just resized the image to make it not blow-out the lower-res people's screens :)

Haggis

Outstanding... every time i see an update on this thread it puts my Western game in development to shame!

Keep up the good work!

Kweepa

I like that the G is falling off (or has been shot off?) Buryin'. Nice touch!
Shame that Sheriff is spelled wrong, and that Pharkas looks like Phackas.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

chapter11studios

Sheriff is intentionally misspelled. I'm going to have Jake comment on it if the player "reads" the sign. (Signs in the old west were often misspelled because they were hand written.)

Or I suppose I could just change it if it looks stupid. :)

Ghost

I do not know how often I can have this game resurface! I always jump up and down in excitement and want to see it done! Curse you, chapter11studios and your amazing style!
CUUUUUURSE YOU!

No, seriously, this keeps getting better and better. And remember, I was there when you started your optimistic series of game-making articles and had super-huge signposts in the desert!

CaptainD

I thought Stan had moved on from his previously-owned coffin business?!?!  ;D ;D

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: chapter11studios on Fri 13/01/2012 21:21:00
Sheriff is intentionally misspelled. I'm going to have Jake comment on it if the player "reads" the sign. (Signs in the old west were often misspelled because they were hand written.)

Or I suppose I could just change it if it looks stupid. :)

This is something I was just thinking about recently!  How if in your game you intentionally (as you have) misspell something (because the sign-writer isn't the smartest) from the outside perspective it just looks like a typo!  I noticed it was spelled wrong too but I figured you did it intentionally as if you watch Westerns there's always little things like that in there!

Glad to know this is still cookin'!

Tabata

Very well done â€" I love the way this project is going â€" really nice work again!

@chapter11studios:
This can't be a typo - this must be part of an extra puzzle for sure

Anian

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 14/01/2012 16:37:13This is something I was just thinking about recently!  How if in your game you intentionally (as you have) misspell something (because the sign-writer isn't the smartest) from the outside perspective it just looks like a typo!  I noticed it was spelled wrong too but I figured you did it intentionally as if you watch Westerns there's always little things like that in there!
But the difference is in volume/how obvious it is, I mean, to me it looks more like a typo from the game makers, because everything else is kind of very formal. If the sign said "Y'all be shot if I ketch ya around here, by the order of the Sheriff" then it'd be just slang and poor writing of the guy who supposedly made the sing, but the way it is now just seems like a production typo instead.

But I do agree, I'm glad this game is still cooking.  :)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The best way to make intentional misspellings is to make them so extreme and prevalent that the viewer can't possibly attribute them to an accident, ie, "Traspassurs weel be shot by ardur of the sharuf!"  Basically go with hillbilly phonetics.

chapter11studios

New location! Click here for full size version and some discussion of the real-world location that inspired it.

Also: Just three background screens left for episode one.

Grim

The detail on this baby is just insane... Beautiful art!

Eric

Any chance you could share the pencil sketch for this BG as you have for some of the others? I'm interested in the full process you guys are going through to make these lovely scenes.

Ghost

It's like Kyrandia meets the WW West! Awesome detail and a beautiful palette!

I'm loving it. I wanna play it! MINION*! Hand me the genie-in-a-bottle!!!

------
Spoiler
Tabby? Can you be my smiley minion???
[close]

Tabata

... coming right away my dear ...

Jared

It's going to be so cool when this is released, after years of being drip-fed these tantalising updates...  ;D

chapter11studios

Don't mistake the relative silence here for a lack of behind-the-scenes work on Rise of the Hidden Sun. We’re still toiling away, albeit slowly, to bring the adventures of ‘Rattlesnake’ Jake Dawson onto your computer screen in all of his 1024×768-pixel glory.

Since it’s been awhile since my last update, I thought I’d share this little scene with you all. It’s a just-completed location from episode one. We call this location "Off the Rails." Below I’ve posted the original black-and-white line art, an example of the coloring process, and then final finished version. Hope you like it. More to come in the months ahead!

Credit: Layout by Josh Roberts and Damian Isherwood, pencil art by Hazel Mitchell and Damian Isherwood, colors by Jacek Grzeskowiak.

Oh, also: Still no release date. Sorry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk