The Forgotten Element - NEW SCREENSHOT (Rain effects and new Town pic)

Started by lemmy101, Mon 20/02/2006 13:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickenstien

Lemmy and Binky.

I'm realy eager to play thisÃ,  ;D

How many Locations etc will it have ? what kind of length demo will it be ?
Also, what kind of audio are you using ?

Cheers,
Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Nick.

Gregjazz

Those graphics are... nice. I can tell you're having fun doing the art and animation.

Now how are we supposed to concentrate on solving the puzzles in the game when the main character looks like that? ;)

Squinky

Good looking graphics. Be careful around that rack of hers though, it looks sharp.

Barbarian

Amazing what a sexy-looking female character in a game-in-production can do.  I mean, here you post about your game just 1 day ago, and already you're into a 2nd page of replies, whereas some games-in-production can be around for months and barely garnish a couple of replies.  ;)

Regardless, WOW, the character looks "schweet", *Yummy*, and you have good artistic talent.  Best of luck with your game, and keep us updated of your progress sometimes. Oh, of course more pics of that lovely character would be quite welcome here too I think. Heheh..  :=
*Saves the picture in secrect "AGS Fantasies" folder*
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

You guys are really melting over a computer animation???

I like the backgrounds a lot, they look good and realistic.

About the story: It sounds cliche, but I think I'd first await the demo/full game to see what's all behind it (I'm female, so don't expect puns!)

To be honest, I feel a bit offended by her ehrm... front. But as stated before, I'm female.

Honestly I don't even know or I want to play the game, but if the story is really good I'm on it!

~Yurina
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

lemmy101

Quote from: Nickenstien on Tue 21/02/2006 00:04:48
Lemmy and Binky.

I'm realy eager to play this  ;D

How many Locations etc will it have ? what kind of length demo will it be ?
Also, what kind of audio are you using ?

Cheers,
             Nick.

Hi Nick, we'll have about 12 locations in the demo. It should take about 30-45 mins to play through, and serves as the prologue and introduction to the full three act game.

re: audio, we're using midi, but we're working on a plug-in which may allow us to try something a little different with it. ;)

Thanks everyone for their kind words, you horny devils. Yurina: we're sorry you've taken offence to our main character, hopefully when or if you play the demo you'll be able to find some enjoyment in it regardless.

HillBilly

Quote from: Nikolas on Mon 20/02/2006 14:00:43
But what's especially nice is that in the 1st screenshot, she's carrying a hanger, so she can hang her clothes, should the need arise! ;D

I thought it was for emergency abortions.

Anyway, looking good so far. And those nipples are probably just stiff because of the cold, right?

Right?

DanClarke

Looks excellent, the BG in particular looks awesome, and the GUI reminds me of Simon the Sorcerer, nice and neat. Just don't let certain things...erm...cloud over other aspects of the game.

Redwall

Christ, it's Lara Croft all over again. Didn't a discussion about the objectification of women just get over in GenGen?

Regardless, I'm sure it will be a good game, and I'm looking forward to the demo.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

CaptainBinky

Quote from: Redwall on Tue 21/02/2006 12:51:07
Christ, it's Lara Croft all over again.

The thing is, we discussed this quite a lot before we finished nailing the story. And what we concluded was that (and obviously we're not girls) we didn't see any problems having a female lead character even if she were a bit, how shall I say it, male targetted. I mean, you're not going to have an unattractive woman as your main character, and at the end of the day it's her who ultimately saves the day. So that makes her a positive role model surely, as opposed to her featuring as a random NPC who is there solely for gratuity.

I mean, if the main character was a bloke of Swartzenegger proportions then no-one would have a problem, but surely that's exactly the same scenario only the opposite sex?

I didn't see the discussion on GenGen, but I would be interested to hear the general conclusions.

A Lemmy & Binky Production

hjarse

I couldn't help but laugh at the previous replies to this thread, considering that they all seemed to be focusing on a certain (how shall I put this?) area of the game. ;D

But so far I think it looks really good (I expect that sounded like it had an alternative meaning... oh well...)

Anian

Quote from: CaptainBinky on Thu 23/02/2006 13:08:38
I mean, if the main character was a bloke of Swartzenegger proportions then no-one would have a problem, but surely that's exactly the same scenario only the opposite sex?
good point, I even think there should be more of female heroines with such...feminine attributes, at least for every male macho-superhero guy  ;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Alun

Quote from: CaptainBinky on Thu 23/02/2006 13:08:38I mean, you're not going to have an unattractive woman as your main character

Whyever not?   ???

Seriously; I'm not saying you should have an unattractive woman as your main character.  I don't have a problem with your main character as it is.  But the blanket statement that an unattractive woman just isn't an option as a main character puzzles me.  Why couldn't a game have an unattractive woman as a main character?  After all, there are certainly plenty of games with unattractive men as main characters.  (Bernard from DOTT, to name just one, isn't exactly an Adonis.)  Why should unattractive men be okay as main characters, but not unattractive women?

Again, I'm not saying you need to tone down your main character; I'm not objecting to your game.  But I disagree with the implication that an unattractive woman could never work as a main character in an adventure game.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Pet Terry

Quote from: Alun_Clewe on Thu 23/02/2006 18:14:35
Why couldn't a game have an unattractive woman as a main character?  After all, there are certainly plenty of games with unattractive men as main characters.  (Bernard from DOTT, to name just one, isn't exactly an Adonis.)

So eh, you found Laverne attractive? :=
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

CaptainBinky

Quote from: Alun_Clewe on Thu 23/02/2006 18:14:35
Quote from: CaptainBinky on Thu 23/02/2006 13:08:38I mean, you're not going to have an unattractive woman as your main character

Whyever not?Ã,  Ã, ???

Seriously; I'm not saying you should have an unattractive woman as your main character.Ã,  I don't have a problem with your main character as it is.Ã,  But the blanket statement that an unattractive woman just isn't an option as a main character puzzles me.Ã,  Why couldn't a game have an unattractive woman as a main character?Ã,  After all, there are certainly plenty of games with unattractive men as main characters.Ã,  (Bernard from DOTT, to name just one, isn't exactly an Adonis.)Ã,  Why should unattractive men be okay as main characters, but not unattractive women?

Again, I'm not saying you need to tone down your main character; I'm not objecting to your game.Ã,  But I disagree with the implication that an unattractive woman could never work as a main character in an adventure game.
i agree - i was speaking generally. it's no coincidence that most of the top actors are good looking. unless it's essential to your plot, then it makes sense for your lead to be attractive.

Alun

Quote from: Alun_Clewe on Thu 23/02/2006 18:14:35So eh, you found Laverne attractive? :=

• Well, it's Bernard, not Laverne, who's usually cited as the "main character" of DOTT.
  • I have a horrible confession to make.  I've never actually played Day of the Tentacle yet.  So I don't actually know what Laverne looks like.  I'll...I'll try to remedy that as soon as possible.  (The not having played DOTT, I mean.  Not the not knowing what Laverne looks like.  Though the former would lead to the latter anyway.)

Quote from: CaptainBinky on Thu 23/02/2006 18:43:56unless it's essential to your plot, then it makes sense for your lead to be attractive.

But again, male leads can be, and often are, unattractive, without it being essential to the plot.  Why shouldn't this be true of female leads as well?  There's a bit of a double standard.  (Though I'm sure there are more that aren't occurring to me, right offhand the only unattractive female lead character I can think of from an AGS game is Granny Zombiekiller, and she barely counts (seeing as she was only in one MAGS game, and the originally promised full game starring her never materialized).  Besides, who's to say Granny wasn't quite a looker in her younger years?)

For that matter, even with the "essential to the plot" part--are there any adventure games in which there are unattractive female leads even when their unattractiveness is essential to the plot?

(Note: This is not an invitation to post lists of unattractive female characters in AGS games.  As I said, there are probably more that aren't occurring to me.  Still, they don't seem to be as accepted as the very common unattractive male characters.)

I concede that this isn't something unique to adventure games.  The same situation occurs in movies and TV; unattractive leading men are far more accepted than unattractive leading women.  I still don't think that makes the double standard right.

Anyway, it's just a tangent that has nothing really to do with this game, so, ah, I'll shut up now.

(Now I want to make an adventure game starring an unattractive woman just to make a point...though I have several other games I want to make first. ;) )

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Afflict

Laverne is by far the kewlest game character, completely NUTS! Absolutly gulable and well blond and blue eyes not nasty at all just fell on her face one to many times ;)

I think that everybody deserves to be an adventure hero, Hot bold, fat,hunky and even downright ugly. I think as long as the player relates to the character or enjoys being the character in some way you cant go wrong. As for pleasing all of the ppl all of the time, ill right it on my to do list that is somewhere under my never ever gonna happen rock.  :)

Darth Mandarb

This isn't a discussion thread ... you want to talk about the virtues of female leads do it in the Adventure Related Talk & Chat of the GenGen.

All further ramblings will be deleted.

Nickenstien

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 21/02/2006 11:09:22

Hi Nick, we'll have about 12 locations in the demo. It should take about 30-45 mins to play through, and serves as the prologue and introduction to the full three act game.

re: audio, we're using midi, but we're working on a plug-in which may allow us to try something a little different with it. ;)

Cool!!  I definatley think serialisation of the game is a good way to go! Keep us all craving for more with cliff-hanger endings to the chapters  ;)

This is looking to me like its going to be a realy high quality game! have you considered doing a deluxe-Talkie version when all of the Graphics are finalised ?

Keep up the good work Lemmy&Binky   ;D

CaptainBinky

Quote from: Nickenstien on Fri 24/02/2006 02:35:16
have you considered doing a deluxe-Talkie version when all of the Graphics are finalised ?

Thanks for your interest - as far as talkie versions are concerned, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves - we're focussed well and truly on just getting the three acts and prologue complete. After that, who knows? If it turns out to be popular then we may consider some sort of "deluxe" version - after all we'll be releasing a combined "full" version of the game once act 3 is complete. However, most likely, we'll be a bit sick of it and want to work on something new  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk