The Forgotten Element - NEW SCREENSHOT (Rain effects and new Town pic)

Started by lemmy101, Mon 20/02/2006 13:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

You know what I like? And liked from the very first minute on- the very day I stumbled over TFE?

That superb blue-on-black line of trees, with the girl curled up among the roots. I believe that games come with a hook, with a first impression that either drags your interest or fails to flare the spark, and I was surprised that such a simple, placative image made me seek more information. It was *fitting*. It summoned pictures into the creaking cinema of my brain.
When this thread grew larger, I was equally impressed by the skillful little insights into the game's story via newspapers and reports. Let's face it, L&B managed to keep a tight lid on the actual game story, but the little tasters they gave, they all add up to a Ghost with great hopes and expactations.

So all in all, we have here a game that is much talked about, without too much known about it, and all for the better I believe. Just let me get the line out: I wish you all the best of luck, and I am eager to learn what the story will be that started with a silhouette in the dark.

Emerald

Has there ever been a game on this forum that has had as many pages in its thread as FE does?

i k a r i

QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Ghost

Quote from: Emerald on Fri 15/02/2008 19:39:09
Has there ever been a game on this forum that has had as many pages in its thread as FE does?

LOTLL (Legend of the Lost Lagoon - edited by Darth) should at least be close. Quality *does* produce quantity.

lemmy101

Hey everyone! Thanks again for the lovely comments! Just to let you all know things are still progressing. Work comes in fits and starts around our stupidly hectic lives, but it will be done one day hopefully sooner rather than later! ;)

Thanks Ghost for all the kind words on the "hooks" of TFE, we're glad you like the tasters and that they have done the job of spiking interest, sometimes we feel a bit sad that most of the interest is in Mia's chest rather than all that stuff so great to hear you point that out! :)

Anyway wish this coulda been an "it's nearly nearly done!" post but alas it's not yet. The end is in sight but there is a lot to do to get it right yet, as often is the case it took longer than we expected (we shoulda known better really ;)) but we'll stick with it until it's done. Never take lack of information or posts of progress as TFE being abandoned or forgotten about (no pun intended). If there's one thing we consider something we must accomplish it is this game, which is more reason we need to make sure it is as good as we can possibly make it.

Thankies everyone!

L&B

Iv4n

It's good to know that this game is still in production and not forgotten! :)

Galen

Quote from: Iv4n on Sun 17/02/2008 21:40:56
It's good to know that this game is still in production and not forgotten! :)
Forgotten Element Forgotten? Never.

lemmy101

Just a quick announcement to say we're mighty proud to welcome to the newest member to the Forgotten Element team:

MashPotato!

Yay! Mash is going to lend her awesmoe art talents to the game and has already come up with some great stuff! :)

Hello Mash! :D

MashPotato

Glad to be part of the team! :D
*puts banner in sig as final rite of passage* ;)

Ghost

That's great news- congratulations on such a select team!

ThreeOhFour

GAH!

Now MashPotato on graphics as well!?  :D

This game excites me more and more.

dirk delshire

Hey, it's good to see you got a new artist. I know it's got to be hard with only two people on your team.
OMEGA Works Lead Director
Sometimes the art defines the artist but I believe artist defines himself...

Nikolas

HEY!  >:(

3! 3 persons on the team!

And now with Mash onboard there's 4, and a few more helping out as well!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh BTW:

Quote from: MashPotato on Fri 22/02/2008 00:27:27
*puts banner in sig as final rite of passage* ;)

I won't change MY signature! Not by a million! :D

CaptainBinky

Forgotten Element update! Woo!

Well, Mash has been doing some fab work on the backgrounds repairing some of the ones I did that were a bit pap, Philip is on the case with a couple of the remaining scenes, and I've been doing walkcycles (oh joy!).

Nickenstien has been busy integrating particle effects into our AGX system so very (very very) soon they'll all be up and running within AGS itself, woo! That also means we can convert some of our software rendered effects into DirectX now that CJ has released v3 of AGS.

The prologue has ended up slightly larger than we anticipated (still just a slice of the full game mind) but we hope it's going to be worth it. All this extra work we've had to do for the prologue has meant that Act1, 2, and 3 dev time should be significantly reduced so the full complete game should be out sometime this century :D

Wish us luck...

Lemmy&Binky

A Lemmy & Binky Production

i k a r i

I wish you guys luck, because if you guys have luck I'll be lucky enough to play an excellent adventure game.

Im sure at this point, it will be amazing  ;D

Thx for the update!
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Afflict

subspark

lemmy101

Just a quick post to say. HURRAY!

We now have fully functional DirectX particle system in AGX, meaning The Forgotten Element now has an uber lovely 32bit rain effect.

Huzzah!

Thanks go to Nickenstien for his tireless efforts over the past few weeks getting this into AGX (and thanks to CJ for implementing DX9 in the first place!).  Also note some lovely Mash characters now inhabiting Littleroot Town. Huzzah!

L&B (+N+M+N)

subspark

Looks outstanding. Great work you guys.
What exactly is AGX, btw? Is it an AGS Plugin you guys have developed for your productions?

Edit: Is it possible, with your particle tool, to have slower rain dripping off the parts of the building to simulate running water? I think that, along with subtle splash particles for the ground, will beef up this scene even more!

Cheers,
Paul.

lemmy101

Hi subspark!

First of yes, it's possible to do whatever particles we want... some scenes have single drops dripping through the trees, we have steam, fire and all sorts all running through the same system... and we're planning on having water guttering off corners of roofs in the final thing. :) There are also splashes in it already, they're just notoriously difficult to catch in single screenshots but are quite clear when it's running.

We'll look at getting a youtube video up of the rain in action.

re: AGX, we've basically added a new conversation / cutscene engine around AGS in a plugin, along with an editor for editing dialogue / cutscene scripts in Cole & Haag movie screenwriting format:

Click to enlarge

You can look at the example script file by following this link:

http://www.cgempire.com/forgottenelement/Example.rtf

It allows for "Poses" to be set up, to allow characters to move in and out of poses, along with transition frames and speaking frames (like):

:)

As well as a 16 channel music blending system, asyncronus script processing, 32bit overlay system with blend modes such as additive, subtractive, modular etc. Soon we're planning pixel shader support, to allow for gaussian blur, bloom and other real-time postprocessor effects.

It will, of course, be released as soon as we've got it to a level where we're happy to release it. :) Thanks for your interest!

lemmy&binky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk