Harvey (working title)

Started by Dreadus, Wed 09/11/2005 10:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadus

story:
It's basically about a physicist in the late 18th century, attempting to make a name in the world of science. This probably sounds like a boring game, but I assure you, very little of the game has anything to do with physics. You must exploit your way through towns and become involved in stupid things as well. There will be a few "item assembly" puzzles, where you have to create contraptions out of things you have picked up. Also, the church is after you for practising "demonic rituals" that are actually experiments. You have to take care of them too.

screenshots:
I could show a little more, but it would just be more of the same really, or crappy menu shots.

And for good measure, The Harvey "South" walking animation.
(Excuse the crappy dithering from flash5)

development:
I started very recently, and I think I am getting the hang of scripting in AGS. The scene i showed is the most complete of those i have painted so far, but it was revised about 4 times... there are 3 other versions of it lying around somewhere lol. But yes, now that I am becoming more comfortable with the engine I will soon get a better idea of how fast I can produce... I will see in the next few days.

also:
I have been stumped by one thing in this engine. I managed to implement a Lucasarts style SCUMM bar, but I am unsure as to how I can implement certain verbs such as Pull, Push etc. I see that there is a mousemode for "Pick Up" and there are 2 "Usermodes" But that still is not enough for all nine verbs... I am sure someone has asked this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nacho

You can resize without the blur, resizing "changing the size of the pixels" or simply using a command to set the size of the image:

[ img width=XXX height=XXX ] URL of you image [ /img ]

Set the size the double of your 1:1 image and that's it...

It looks terrific... Dott style without the goofy. I would recommend some visits to critics lounge, specially to learn some easy tips for perspective, and maybe sprite desing, I would make some changes to EGO if I were allowed.

And well, go on with the good work, and remember you gotta post two screeshots or the mod will lock this, which should be a shame...Ã,  ;)

EDIT: Explanation of why the perspectives are bad... And an attempt to improve the sprite, not sure if I've succedded, your look more lovely ^_^. Colours are more common for old 90ies AG pallete, but clash with the BG, it's up to you to redo the BG or keep your pallete. Hope it helps.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

j-Hed

Hiya Dreadus!
I really like the story of your game, very interesting. The graphics look great even though I can agree with Farlander about the perspective but the style of the graphics is just lovely!:)

Be sure to post another screenie! I dont want this one locked ;)

Darth Mandarb

It's nice, and understandable, that you don't want to reveal too much of the game but you still must follow the forum rules!

Please post another screenshot (not a menu screen, it must be an "in-game" screenie) even if it's similar.

ildu

Looks really great. I absolutely love the color scheme. And kudos on the original story premise. Your drawing style is original and good-looking, but you need some perpective and design changes. Bring the background to Crits Lounge and we'll get into it.

DanClarke

looks nice! although perhaps a little empty for a library. I love the cat :)

Dreadus

Heh, You dont need to tell me about perspective. Our teacher wont shut up about it in school.
What I have tried to do is create a room which looks square but actually uses different angles so that it is easier for the player to see everything. As I said, It was revised many times. If its a noticeable annoyance, I could correct it...

And yeah, it is pretty barren at the moment, Im in the process of adding more books between other scene painting.

Dreadus

Okay, two screens now, and the first one has been updated :)
The library is slightly more populated now, but more books are on the way (theyre just really boring to paint ;))
The second scene is inside a tailor's shop.

ildu

Oh, I love the new screen. The character just fits in there so well. My hat goes to you, dear sir.

Mordalles

those are some really good backgrounds and characters!

it reminds me of apprentice 2, and that is the best compliment, since apprentice 2 is my favourite ags game.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Dreadus

ba-bump.
I've kitted the rooms out a lot more, and added a WIP shot of Harvey's lab.
The first two scenes still arent finished, but the library is drawing close.

ildu

Looks much better now. but I still think you should add more stuff. And don't blur those foreground objects so much. It doesn't look that good and it makes walkbehind areas really difficult and bad looking.

Also, for the roof shot of the tailor, there's a mannekin in the foreground. This indicates that there's a mannekin near the roof. For this reason I'd advise you to add a lot more stuff to the foreground, to perhaps indicate a shelf or something. Think Monkey Island 2 -> Booty Island -> costume shop (couldn't find an image) or regular shop:

The library looks really good. It also looks as though you are able to walk off the right side. Is this intended? If not, you should add some stuff there. In addition, the backroom looks a bit empty. The foreground objects also look a bit weird situated in the middle.

Kinoko

I looooove the colours and character design. Very impressive!

ManicMatt

Now now, i like the faint colours, it looks ye olde and quaint.

However, the sprite farlander drawn has a better hat in terms of shape.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this game in the future!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk