Updated 06/29/04 : Bad Acid - TEST #2, Screenshots and Info

Started by CobraKaun, Thu 24/06/2004 08:11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraKaun

Updated 06/26/04 : Download Test 1 of Bad Acid @ http://www.sustain-niagara.org/badacidtest1.zip
Updated 06/29/04 : Download Test 2 of Bad Acid @ http://www.sustain-niagara.org/badacidtest2.zip

Hey there everyone, I am new to AGS programmingand the Forums, but definately not the adventure game genre. I remember playing Police Quest 1 on a good ol' XT with a black and orange monitor.... ahhhh... those were the days.... before there was a such thing as a "mouse".

Anyhow.... I've been playing with the idea of creating an adventure game for some time, and I think it's about time I give a serious go at it. I've been playing around with AGS and scripting for a while now, and have most of the basics and some advanced work down.

My first project, which will be a Long Length adventure game, is as title above, named "Bad Acid". The premise of the game is a person such as you and I, who through a partying mishap (take a guess from the title) has found himself spun into the world of an adventure game. Using wit and knowledge from adventure gaming experience, you must navigate your way out of the game and back into your own world. The game will be humour based (good humour I hope, I am trying to veer away from any "low brow" humour ((ie. no ass and titties)) with medium based puzzles. I am hoping to have about 10 hours of gameplay if possible.

However, there will be drug references and possible usage as part of the plotline (in the style of Alice in Wonderland drug usage... ie, mushroom to make you small... etc)... though I doubt it would be enough to offend anyone. Certainly won't be up to the standards which movies, television and the media expose to everyone on a daily basis.

So, I'll be using this thread to discuss the game, give updates, post pictures, screenshots, demos, etc.. I'm assuming sometime I will need beta testers as well. I appreciate and welcome all comments and critique. Below I have posted a screenshot of a room I've been working on today, I hope you all enjoy the style. And before anyone points of the randomness of the directions on the shadows and how it is impossible lightsourcing, "I am aware, that is part of the feel, and I did do it on purpose."... it will be touched upon in the game.

Thanks for looking!

The Book

CobraKaun

Indeed I do! Me and the team have been working on this thing for about 12 hours straight now.

All the game mechanics work now (inventory/inventory scrolling, use of inventory items), many interactions, GUI's, saving, loading, retarting... plenty of game script already written and implemented... etc etc etc... so much work today it's ridiculas. As well, a hidden "game inside the game" as you may have seen the oddities score keeper. =)

I'll explain more later, for now, enjoy these three screenshots. Still some work to be done in this room, the bookshelf is kind of empty still but we are working on those sprites right now. Just wanted to get the screenshots up for you guys tonight.

I'll post more as it's done. I'll probably have a playable test for people by the end of the weekend.

Enjoy!

The Book

Wow! That's really good!

What is the "oddities score keeper" - and what are these oddities?

CobraKaun

You'll have to wait and play the game to find that out, it's not really essential to beating the game at all, it's just a fun little sub game within the game.

Scummbuddy

i love your in-joke, [but its LaverneÃ,  ;) ].... keep up the good work. this looks like its going to be a lot of fun. I also really like your art style and your game idea.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

CobraKaun

Thanks for your compliments guys. Alot more work done by the team today... alot of little things that make the game seem more full and fun to play...

My bad on the error in my msg there.... I'll have to fix that. Guess I should have double check in DOTT first. So far the first room is completely finished, and the second is about 90% done. I am going to release what is done in the next day or two for people to get a feel for how the game will play. Alot of the artwork is already done, it's basically a matter of piecing it together.

Alot of work has been put into thr story, and I am sure you will all enjoy it. About 90% of the puzzles and the way they co-oridinate with each other has been completed as well.

Anyhow, I'll update with some more soon, and put up that playable demo. Mind you, it isn't much and shouldn't take anyone more than 10 minutes to get through, there is no completable puzzles yet either. But it'll give you a taste and a feel.

.. maybe even make some people anticipate it.

CobraKaun

Ok, well I got a little more finished tonight than expected... it isn't much, but you can go grab the test at :

http://www.sustain-niagara.org/badacidtest1.zip

So far the game has 4 obtainable items, 4 oddities to be found, about 90 custom description and dialog options available. So make sure you use all your available functions on everything, 95% of responses will be custom made for that item, and many of them are quite humorous... at least I think so. 2 rooms, so walk out the first room to the left.

I have spent alot of time on the "little things" to make the gameplay more enjoyable... as I think those little things are the best part of a game.

Well, tell me what you think so far and enjoy.

Remember, this is just a small 2 room test so people can see what the game is going to be like and play like, so don't be too critical. =)

Incase you're wondering, right click or scroll your mouse to move between interactable options (little feet: walk to, eyeball: look at, mouth: talk to, close hand: use, hand looking like it's picking up something: pick up).... those will all most likely be slightly altered in the future, but give me your ideas on that as well.

Oh! And I know the current dialog function is ugly! It's being updated. As well as the (ESC: Quit) Quit, Restore and Save functions.... which will be a menu that appears at the top of the screen.... I just havn't done the code to go with the graphics yet.

Anyhow, no more typing for me, or reading for you right now... go check it out, and tell me what you think!

[Cameron]

Great graphics, interface, characters and comedy. Found all 3 oddities and spoke to painting.  Unfortunatly no sound, it would be great to have some music in there. Whenever you need a beta tester im here to help.

ScottDoom

I had music when I played it... I don't know why you didn't, Preparación De Ensalada. I didn't really like the music though, so you weren't missing much. I mean, the music was good. It was just that I didn't think it fit the whole scene. If you leave it that way it won't bother me too much.

The responses given when interacting with stuff is really funny though. I got all 4 items, but I only found 3 oddities. I can't seem to find the last one. The graphics are really nice too.

[Cameron]

Quote from: ScottDoom on Sat 26/06/2004 13:01:05
I had music when I played it... I don't know why you didn't
I had my speakers off :-[

CobraKaun

That's really just a placeholder music file since I havn't at all concentrated on music yet. =)... glad you guys enjoyed it so far. If it helps, there are 3 oddities in the first room and one in the second.

CobraKaun

Well, things are progressing smoothly here. Alot more little things have been added in, mostly new animations (such a hair swaying while walking... character actually reaches out for doorknob and tries to turn it in first room).... dialog and the way it works has been updated, and instead of using ESC,F5,F7,F9 for functions a custom menu has been added to to top of the screen that appear @ Y-Axis Pixel 0....

The third room of the game is starting to come together and about 99% of the story and puzzles are figured out now. Hopefully some of you have become interested in the project.... I'm going to try and set up a website for it soon w/ alot more info.

For those of you who havn't tried it yet, get a feel from the demo... let me know what you think. It's inferior to what I have now, but still gives a good example.

I'll post some more content soon.

CobraKaun

I am going to be moving today, so I may be without the internet for a few days. I have uploaded a second test, which doesn't really add much to length of the game... but it does add a few things.

Changes/Additions :
Test of opening screens/cutscene added.
These screens will be updated, but I wanted to make sure I could script it properly and use room changes/gui hides/hide characters/music fading... etc... and it give you a little more idea on the story.
Added a few animations, for example, when the character tries to open the door now, instead of just assuming it's locked, but actually reaches out for the doorknob... though sound still needs to be added.
Updated the dialog a little with Vigo, made it so it extends from the bottom of the screen now.
Added custom menus. Put your mouse to the top.... 100% custom now on Save/Restore/Restart/Quit
Custom Pause Game added w/ Space Bar.
Fixed and tweaked a few other things as well.
Still lots to do.

Anyhow, check it out :
http://www.sustain-niagara.org/badacidtest2.zip

Let me know. I'll be back in a couple days.

Cobra Kaun

[Cameron]

Found 4 oddities.  The music was fitting and the cheers were quite encouraging. Animation is good, so are the menus. I duely await the realease of your game and hope to do beta-testing for you.

CobraKaun

Thanks alot for your positive comments. =)
I'll definately let you Beta test when the time comes.

I thought the cheers would be encouraging as well.

Has anyone else found all 4 oddities yet??

CobraKaun

Welp, finished moving and back online... finally.... sheesh. I've continued production on the game, and things are moving along. I'll have more for you guys soon.

Chicky

CobraKaun

hehehe, don't worry, there won't be any more tests really until I need beta testers, but I'll update status etc in the meantime.... just wanted to release those so people would see how the game would play.

Mephistophilis

I found all 4. Great looking Game can't wait till More is done.
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk