Background resolution

Started by SebastianEl, Sat 27/04/2024 20:32:49

Previous topic - Next topic

SebastianEl

Without making it too complicated, what are go-to, easy & good looking settinegs for background resolution and in game resolution to look good on modern monitors?

Crimson Wizard

This question was asked many times, so I once wrote a quick answer in the FAQ:
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/FAQ.html

QuoteQ. What resolution should I make my game in?

A. AGS games are not different from any other games. Think on what resolution would match your chosen game design and graphic style. Experiment, make few test games to find out what's best fit.
It's important to know the difference between "native resolution" and "window resolution". Your game itself may be as small as 320 x 200, but AGS allows players to stretch the game window to any size, scaling your game up (or down, although that usually is not a good thing), without any extra effort from you. So if you want to use "old-school" low-res graphics you don't have to worry about how to display your game on larger monitors.

The thing is, "look good" is not a accurate definition. Everything depends on the artistic style you are working in. For example, if you use pixel art, then there's not much reasons to use high resolution.

Also, if that's your first game ever, I would not suggest bothering about resolution yet, and just find the one which you are comfortable to work and learn with.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk