dialogue question

Started by stranger, Wed 07/04/2004 18:10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

stranger

I just created my first dialogue in the script box and everything is ok, I was reading along with the tutorial and I got to this part.

"Now, still with the Merchant selected, click the Interaction button. Using your skills from earlier on in this tutorial, add a "Game - Run Dialog" command for when the player talks to the Merchant. Close the window, save the game, and we're all set!"

That is directly from the beginners tutorial, the conversations and dialogue part of it. Thing is I have no clue where it explains the whole run dialoge issue and I dont want to go searching for it, could someone tell me where in the tutorial it is, what section. Or just tell me how to begin to the conversation I have created. I have already set down the character and all.

Bryan

If I remember correctly, you haven't added a Run Dialog interaction at this point in the tutorial, but you've learned the skill of adding interactions in general.
"Game - Run Dialog" is just another option on that list.

this space intentionally left blank

stranger

Ok i got it, but I have a slight problem, the character the main character is talking to has a talking animation, and the character being talked to by the main character(when he talks) his talking sprite shows up and works, but it shows up on the far left hand corner of the screen. how can I make it so the talking animation stays in the same position as the idol sprite.

Scuthbert

This could be caused by for example, your normal sprite is like this

#####OO
#####OO
#####OO
#####OO

With # is transparent and O is the character

And your talking sprite looks like this

OO#####
OO#####
OO#####
OO#####

If so align them both to the left/right whatever

OR: I could be completely wrong!

PS: ISN'T MY ASCII ART GREAT! :D

stranger

where do I go to align the talking sprite, or to see where the talking sprite is?

Scorpiorus

Quote from: stranger on Wed 07/04/2004 19:17:54Ok i got it, but I have a slight problem, the character the main character is talking to has a talking animation, and the character being talked to by the main character(when he talks) his talking sprite shows up and works, but it shows up on the far left hand corner of the screen. how can I make it so the talking animation stays in the same position as the idol sprite.
There is a pop-up box in the general settings - speech style. Set it to lucasArt style. Currently you use a sierra-like close up portrait. :)

stranger

Ok thank you very much, but I have just one more question. This is actualy quite broad of a topic. When my characters talk..they dont automatically face eachother so one could be facing the screen, while another could be facing a wall and talk to each other..which is unnatural. How do I get it so both characters look in eachothers direction.

Scummbuddy

open up the ol' manual, and check out FaceCharacter

the manual is a fantastic tool, and there for a reason.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

stranger

no i got it, ur definitley right the manual kicks ass.

stranger

I still have a general question. Is there a way to just point out the location whenever u make a hotspot or whatnot. THat way you don't have to like go and put down the coordinates on every single object or hotspot.

Scummbuddy

you mean "hotspot interactions"?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

stranger

i mean how would i make it so once your character walks in a room, he would face a specified location?you cant do hotspot because than even though when you ENTER the room the hotspot would work, when u leave the hotspot would cause your character to turn around.

Scummbuddy

-Hoagie from DOTT

Scorpiorus

Just put that FaceLocation() on player enters room after fadein.

stranger

Is there anyway to do without scripting?

Scorpiorus

Yes, open interaction editor, then again click Player enters screen (after fadein) and choose the Character - Face location action. Next, specify the character and X, Y co-ordinates.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk