GUI interferance question, 'portrait click'.

Started by vertigoaddict, Wed 16/05/2007 15:43:37

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigoaddict

Okay, first, I'll post this image just to make it easier to explain:

Well, I wanna make those games where you left click to interact and right click to 'look', but that's not really my question.

Okay, see that portrait of the girl on the bottom left side corner? I was:

1)wondering if it is possible to place a potrait there
2) able to use animations on it when character is speaking (making a talkie game) and having the speech next to it.

real question below:
3) I was wondering if it was possible to just do this...um... thing. You click on the potrait and the black space shows her inventory; you click again and it turns back to normal.

4) I don't know a thing about scripting and don't really have the time to learn, so I was hoping someone could help me with this....

Ashen

1)
Use a GUI Button object and set it's graphic to the portrait image.

2)
See the (very) recent thread How can I make GUI talking animation frame with speech text?. Alternatively, Shade's expression-speech-style module could probably be modified to serve.

3)
Use the GUI.Visible Property. If you've made the portrait a Button, this should be very easy.

Please at least try to code things yourself before posting. This includes searching the forums, the manual and BFAQ.

4)
Personally I don't get this reasoning. The basics of AGS are so easy to pick up that it'll be easier to learn them yourself than to have to rely on the forums for everything. However, if you really can't (or won't) learn, you may want to try recruiting a programmer from this thread.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Khris

About 2:
I believe using a character is easier and more elegant. Make it non-clickable, always move it to the current room in on_event and simply make it talk using Character.SayAt().
(Manual search results for the bold words should tell you how to achive this.)

Ashen

Actually, that's a pretty neat solution, and does away with the need for a lot of the code from that module. Leaving it as clickable would mean you could run the code for turning the inventory on and off from it, or if you made it non-clickable as Khris says have an 'invisible' button behind it for that. However, if any of the rooms are going to be scrolling, you'd need some repeated_execute code to keep it in place.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

vertigoaddict

Thanks, after my exams are over, I'll read the tutorials. Sorry if it seemed like I was too lazy to look over the forums, I didn't mean to and my real question was no. 3; I only mentioned the other questions in case a problem may arise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk