Need Help with Imported Sprite Problems

Started by sfzapgun, Mon 19/01/2004 21:46:55

Previous topic - Next topic

sfzapgun

Hi Everyone,
I've been tinkering with AGS for a few weeks now, with a vague idea for a game in the back of my mind. It all depends on how comfortable I can make myself with the system.
Anyway, I've been working on backgrounds and sprites for this hypothetical game. I had originally customized the "Roger" sprite as the player character, but was extremely disapointed with how he looked compared to the rest of my BGs and sprites. I searched the net and found a suitable sprite with all the needed views, and I spent quite a bit of time re-drawing this sprite to look like my character.
Guess what? When I imported him into my game he was TOO FRIGGING BIG! He looks like a giant compared to my background objects and other sprites. He needs to be about half the size he is, and I've tried correcting the problem with scaleing to no avail. I also tried reducing him in a paint program to half-size, but the results are so blurred and pixelated to be unusable.
Can someone advise as to how to make the sprite images smaller without loosing detail? I really don't want to go back to square one and have to redraw and recolor 40-odd sprites for the third time...I want to develop something with AGS but this is very frustrating and discouraging to say the least.
Help?  :'(

Ben

Well, the only way to make it smaller without losing detail is to redraw it.. You just have to be careful when you draw your characters, using backgrounds and other characters as a reference to the size.

Probably the best way to fix your sprites is to resize them in a paint program (pixel resize, no resampling), and then zoom in and manually fix the parts that lose detail. And be careful when your draw the rest of your characters  ;)

Akumayo

One of my characters was really huge when i made him to.  Here is what i did, you may want to.  Draw your background really big, like 700x700.  Then (if you can) run your game as a DOS target.  Mabye, your guy won't look so huge if the screen+baground are huge.  

P.S. If this dosn't work, then you have my deepest sympathy  :'(
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk