Unsettling game size using 3.4.0.11 (RC2)

Started by Gradir, Thu 22/09/2016 15:52:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Gradir

After switching to 3.4.0.11 the game size significantly raised ( acsprset.spr weights over 20mb ).
Is it normal?

Ok I guess it's all this 32bit png sprites making it. It looks a bit too high tho, since I don't have so much content yet, I'm panicking.
I have no idea how can I delete this topic...

BTW Anyone knows any decent way to export highly compressed png's with alpha (as save for web in Photoshop) as a sequence from frame animation, like Render Video in Photoshop but with better compression?
Cheers

Crimson Wizard

Gradir, I sincerely do not believe simply switching to newer version of AGS can increase the size of your resources. Switching from 16-bit to 32-bit, or increasing game native resolution to hi-res may do that though (assuming you also reimported hi-res sprites and backgrounds).

AGS does not store images as 32-bit pngs. No matter what kind of image you import, they are stored as raw bitmaps (bmp). They are uncompressed by default, but you may enable sprite compression in General Settings. Sometimes that shrinks sprite file size in half or more, although that depends on situation.

20 megabytes is not a big size for modern games, but of course the question is what percent of the game you have finished. I mean, if 20 mb is the weight of only 1% of graphics, then you may start worrying.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk