Background Blitz - Here be dragons (WINNERS!1!!!)

Started by WRK, Fri 10/04/2015 14:19:57

Previous topic - Next topic

WRK

Ok, great, great job everyone. I'm happy to see so many outstanding entries.

Voting starts now.
(time till Friday, midnight)

loominous

Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 28/04/2015 10:41:42
I think we should stop bending the rules with extra days and stuff too. What is the point with having a timed competition if it's always gonna be "can we extend this a few days"?

I agree, though I often find myself in the position of wanting to ask for extensions myself, but personally I find the main purpose of the activity is to get you inspired to start a new painting. If you don't make it in time, then just post it during the voting, and if there's little to no voting activity, end it with just one vote, we just need to pick a person to hold the next one. So just keep things rolling. (this coming from the guy who hosted perhaps the most dragged out activity in the history of the forums).

Edit:

Oh and my votes:

Concept

GreenBeams - I really like how it feels like a living place with history, even without characters. Just an interesting place in a style you're drawn into.

Artistic Execution

Misj' - Nice inkwork! Have been hoping to see a game using that kind of artwork, and have been fiddling around with it myself, though I never have the patience or finesse to pull it off.

Playability

GreenBeams - The staircase would be the tricky part, but otherwise you've managed to cram a boatload of playable areas into that bg.
Looking for a writer

GreenBeams

Sorry, i should really weigh in here:

I'd like to say that i'm happy to forward the BW version for the competition as that's what i managed to get done in the time allowed. For me, time management is a major part of learning to paint and something i reeeeeally need to work on. I find it better if there are real consequences to my not hitting the deadline so, again, PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THE BLACK AND WHITE VERSION ONLY WHEN VOTING.

Also, this way, the colour version can be a lovely co-lab kind of thing that was a product of all the help from the Crits Lounge =D (Thanks again for all the advice!)

OKaaaaay, so here're my votes -
Concept - Misj - For me, this was so original in style. I know that borders on Artisitc Exectution but the mind had to dream up the idea of a certain style before actually doing it and that's what gets my vote here. To play a game with a kind of Calvin and Hobbes feel is a wonderful and interesting idea to me. =D
Playability - Mad - There are things to click, draws to open and plenty of ways in and out of the scene. Nice stuff and well done for diving in! 
Artisitic Execution - loominous - because it's sooooo pretty and i've tried to do those shafts of light/godray thingies and they're hard to get right! Not to mention the almost drinkably wonderful colour (apart from there, where i just did.)

Thanks to WRK for the fantastic competition and it's only a shame we couldn't see more from him this time round =)

Mad

Sooo many entries to choose from...

concept - Misj: Well, what can I say, Kids are scary! I should know, I've got two of my own.

artistic execution - loominous: Composition, lighting, colour scheme - all great. I wish I had just half your talent...

playability - GreenBeams: So many little details, so much to potentially click.

Special mention: selmiak, for pure unadulterated Rainbow Airbrush 80ies Bliss!

Ykni

It's very difficult to choose just one for all the categories. Such great backgrounds.

Concept - Mad: I thought it was the most original approach to the theme.
Artistic execution - Misj': Wonderful what you can do with just black and white.
Playability - Greenbeams: Love all the details, so many places to explore.

Honorable mentions - Loominous: Wow, just wow. Such great lighting. Love the atmosphere you created in that background.

Misj'

Concept - Selmiak: I'm not entirely sure whether it's a sign or an omen...But there's something terribly wrong with this psychedelic world and the weird shape in the back wall.

Artistic Execution - Loominous: I could complain that it's in a typical LoominouStyle...but what's there to complain about? - There's a nice composition, great use of light, excellent mixture of details and overall shapes.

Playability - Mad: clear walking area, exits, and some things to investigate. This was a toss-up with Greenbeams, but in the end I couldn't vote for this grayscale version (I miss the fog from your first post in the critics' lounge).

Monsieur OUXX

Can you gather the entries in a post? With my connection at work sometimes some images get blocked anfd the trouble is I don't even know they're supposed to be there. So I might overlook some entries.

===========

On a different note:
Quote from: loominous on Tue 28/04/2015 11:55:17
Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 28/04/2015 10:41:42
I think we should stop bending the rules with extra days and stuff too. What is the point with having a timed competition if it's always gonna be "can we extend this a few days"?
I agree
I don't agree -- many entries have been posted in the last moment lately, and I think it's part of the creative process for some (including me). They work better in a rush, time for inspiraitona d motivation to grow. If you remove the extra day, you remove half the entries :-D I'm not saying it should be the general rule, but if the competitors ask nicely... The decision should remain the competition host's.

loominous

I don't agree -- many entries have been posted in the last moment lately, and I think it's part of the creative process for some (including me). They work better in a rush, time for inspiraitona d motivation to grow.

Sure, I'm a procrastinator myself, and being one I know that if there's a good chance I can ask for an extension, I'll probably postpone things so I end up needing one.

Like I said, worst case you post your entry during the voting, no big deal, unless winning is of outmost importance to you.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying there should be no flexibility, just that it seems to have become more of a rule than the exception, which isn't ideal.
Looking for a writer

Mouth for war

Yeah! Either do your work on time or don't do it at all!!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

SinSin

So many great entries :-D
Here are my votes,

Concept Misj'    Very reminiscent of Calvin and Hobbes, love the childish nature of Girls/Boys rule would love to see a game.

Artistic Execution Loominous    Absolutely beautiful piece and to me hints at both evil lair and friendly sanctuary.

Playability Greenbeams I can see this BG used in many different situations in both night and day. (would have given Artistic execution too if the piece was not a collab.. I realise that the uncolored piece is the one under scrutiny but i feel the colour use in Loominous' piece just wins it.

Special mention everyone who contributed ANY art just shows that this is a great community with loads of flavours. :)

Regarding deadlines. I feel that we as a group should not be so serious when it comes to deadlines. Its a competition for fun and as long as the deadline does not go longer than 2 days I dont see why there is a big issue.

You cannot rush great art.. (roll)

Here is the full (albeit condensed) list of entries
Sorry for squeezing (I did it to save space less my scrolling finger would drop off) :-D

jwalt

Mouth for war

Misj'

Mad

Sinsin

Selmiak

Loominous

GreenBeams

Off topicRegarding Sprite Jam As most of the people who were involved in the last one are active in this comp.
Last months winner hasn't started a new comp do we think he knows that he should start a new comp?
Currently working on a project!

Mandle

Concept - Mad: I love the way the room tells the whole story about these siblings.
Artistic execution - Loominous: Beautiful colours, beautiful design...Just beautiful everything!!!
Playability - Greenbeams: Clearly defined walkable areas and a nice perspective/angle for a game.

Monsieur OUXX

Concept : jwalt. Come on. Who wouldn't shiver standing there, wondering if they'll enter the Bates manor?
Artistic : Loominous selmiak. Loominous is way better, but I really really like the rocks at the bottom of selmiak's scene. I don't why, but I love this weird rainbow coloring.
Playability : Greenbeams, for all the clickable details. That said objectively, I can perfectly see jwalt's scene fit in Alone in the Dark, Sinsin's scene fit in King's Quest, or Loominous' scene fit in Monkey Island 3. To be fair, I don't think any of those backgrounds is really 100% playable, they're all a bit empty.

selmiak

Concept: Mouth for war - this cave entry seriouly signals danger and threat

Artistic Execution: loominous - fantastic scene, great execution of the world

Playability: Misj' - all entries have very defined walkable areas, this background has the most stuff to click on so I vote for this one.

Mouth for war

playability: Jwalt,creepy place indeed to explore :D
Concept: Selmiak, What's inside your head man, that place is seriously F***** up :D
Artistic execution: Selmiak,  just love your style there!

The other entries were all good. Some honorary mentions:
Loominous, your bg was really great!!!
Misj, well, you always do incredible work!!!

However, none of them made me feel "Oh I must stay away from this place" I thought selmiak and jwalt nailed the danger part very good!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

AprilSkies

mmmh so hard...
you guys made some incredible pieces of art!
here's my votes.. even if I wanted to vote more..

playability: Misj
Concept: Selmiak
Artistic execution: Loominous

www.apemarina.altervista.org

jwalt

Concept - Selmiak

Playability - Greenbeams

Artistic Execution - Greenbeams

[delete}

Concept: jwalt.  You got my vote. I'm already saving up money for a spooky Victorean-era house on the BigSur cliff, with my drawing atelier overlooking the foggy Pacific. I recommend 'Misty' by Clint Eastwood.

Artistic Execution: selmiak. I never visited Amsterdam. But your MagicMushroom-background shows that rainbow-colourful can be indeed frightening.

Playability: Sinsin     >Left-click on hole.   Holding your little brothers hand, you both bravely enter the mysterious cave near the riverside.

@WRK: So nicely crafted trophies, they deserve to be protected behind glass. One day I hopefully have enough votes myself to see what's under that red blanket...
@loominous: As longtime member :smiley: crafting fine art :cheesy:, do you have something playable?

WRK

Good Evening,

I apologize for the delay (I blame it on my recent time
travels and some angry dinosaurs…don't ask).

My votes go to:

Concept: Misj'
Very nice and suprising twist on the theme. In my head
I can imagine that from this point things could go either for happy Peter Pan-esque adventure or pure Stephen King horror (It).

Playability: GreenBeams
It was nice to see all the work in progress and actually to learn something from it. I liked BW version, just because somehow it captures film noir atmosphere.

Execution: Loominous
Cause Hypno Toad told me to do so.

and after complex calculations...

The Results

Third place:
Selmiak

Second place:
Misj' & loominous

First place:
GreenBeams

Congratulations!

Finally, since all of you did really great job with
backgrounds, I managed to get my hands on very rare item:
infamous Jackalope which should act as a special trophy and "Thank You" for all participants.

Once again, well done everybody.

Misj'

congrats Green.

It does show that people should not be afraid to enter a piece in the Blitz even when it's not yet (entirely) finished. :)

[delete}

*clap clap* Mister Green!

Now that you've got your sea monster trophy, I'm eagerly waiting for a 'Loch Ness' adventure featuring your cozy British townscape. Take this opportunity! In former times, with your talent, you would have to illustrate 'Oliver Twist' or 'David Copperfield' for Charles Dickens instead of AGS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk