Background Blitz - lost cities Winners announced

Started by aikex222, Mon 24/11/2014 22:57:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

I'm still in for this one, but am staring over.
I was experimenting with Blender, but my skills there are just not where I can get something useful out of it. I'm now moving to "sure" ground and AutoCad my BG. :) At least I know what and how to to do stuff there, so there's a chance I can get something decent out of it, that I can later on use in my own game. I'll post my Blender file also later on, just for reference where I was going with it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Monsieur OUXX

Still a better story than "Go North" :
Spoiler

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 06/12/2014 22:58:52
I don't think that should be possible. Are you absolutely sure that this is what happened?
Yes I'm sure: the files had different names, were in different folders, and were opened in different programs that do not even know of the other program's file type. It's positively impossible that I did a "Save As" in AGS and overwrote the PSD file, since AGS wouldn't even display the file in the "Save As" window. And I didn't do a "Save As" anyway.
If the .agf data inside the PSD file was complete, I could believe in a human mistake, but the fact that the file is incomplete definitely proves that something went wrong at software/hardware level.
I suspect it has to do with the cached writing onto the USB drives. You know how it works: the OS stores data and then the OS flushes it all when the right time comes. If some USB driver (at OS level) crashed, then maybe the file handlers got mixed up or something. I recall my USB mouse driver crashing approximately at the same time the issue happened.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Okay, here's my WIP after 2 hours work. :)
I know, doesn't look that impressive, and I only threw in a few textures to be able to get an idea of how things are progressing, but I'm hoping I'll end up with something decent when I'm done...
the water is looking very weird, but then again it's the first time I try doing water.  :-[
Might have to try 3DSMax for the final picture render, but this is enough for now.

Link to first version (left for comparison sake):
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/lost_city_2hours.png

EDIT: New version, with improved water and texturing.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/lost_city_3.png

EDIT 2: A little new updated version, added a few details here and there and a dome for atmosphere (and cause I have yet to figure out how to change the sky in AutoCad, if at all possible)...

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/lost_city_4.png

EDIT 3: Here's an interesting (fail) attempt... (laugh)

Adeel

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 07/12/2014 12:19:41
Spoiler
I recall my USB mouse driver crashing approximately at the same time the issue happened.
[close]

And this is why the cool kids use the good ol' PS/2. Been using it for years and never saw any problems. These new shiny 'things' aren't that much better as they claim to be and keep crashing!

Monsieur OUXX

Oh dear. My wrist is hurting..... was doing today a lot of detail work.
But who is comlpaining, I totally wanted to do it in a complicated manner. To see how far I am able to push it after my pixel break. Nope, I am not quiting and do another style, I do it exactly that way! Still 2 weeks left..... Wouuuyaaaah!

55 colors :P
I wanna... I wanna...... I wannaaaa.................... . .

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Cassiebsg

LOL (laugh) Thanks, although am going for something less "earth bound" though. Just haven't got there yet.
Been playing a bit with lighting, but something is seriously off, since I end up with huge amount of light, when I just wanted a scarce dim window lighting... but the light I put in a window is enough the light the entire building across the street... 8-0 But I'm sure that eventually I'll find the "lighting scale" and be able to scale it down to a more realistic amount. Think I'll go back to working on model detail and return to lighting later on.

EDIT: Solved the water mystery at least! Probably also the lighting... I just remembered I hadn't set the units when I started the drawings... it was assuming I was using millimeters, but I use meters... so adjusting that and adding a degree more of quality to the render (take 5 minutes longer), and now I have water that does look like water! I'm a happy camper! :-D I really should go back to modeling some more, but I really wish to play with textures a bit more...

8-0 Nooooooooooooooooooo!
My laptop got crashed in the electricity cut.... it .... in restart it has setup a totaly new system.  ???
What the, did it do to me? That's not fair, I wanna my old system back!

But leastwise it had repaired itself this time. I must check arround, I bearly have internet access.
:~( I hope, I can inform my project mates fast and keep an eye on the system.

Who knows what happens next.^^
I hope their will be soon a next time.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: adventuress on Sun 07/12/2014 19:49:56
8-0 Nooooooooooooooooooo!
My laptop got crashed in the electricity cut.... it .... in restart it has setup a totaly new system.  ???
What the, did it do to me? That's not fair, I wanna my old system back!

If you're using Windows, try a System Restore (if it's activated on your settings).
Rememberer to backup any important files, and good luck!

I think this thread is hunted by all these lost cities... errmmm... files.

Monsieur OUXX

Sorry to hear that adventuress!

And now I'm posting my progress -- not to show off, but only because I'm happy I managed to overcome the frustration of having lost hours of work. I'm back on track!

(STILL A WIP)
[imgzoom]https://33.media.tumblr.com/f77ae367efe42ad01d5c2e8b65325e88/tumblr_ng8pfkwjbH1tsfksfo1_1280.png[/imgzoom]

EDIT: Pindorama, I never got to thank you for the song :D That's a nice song.

selmiak

are you insane? this is biiiig!

*pushes jaw back up into place and wipes off saliva*

Well back in saddle. I couldn't sleep, so I pixelt, I don't know for how long. But yeah, I have a looong way still to go. Before what who knows happens next, here is my current WIP.

I'm working in layers and with masks.
To pitty that I might never will see anything from you OUXX. I however believe, you are a great artist.
And thanx.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: adventuress on Mon 08/12/2014 03:17:36
I couldn't sleep, so I pixelt

Hey very nice old-school dithering and use of limited colors! I feel like I'm watching an Amiga demo! <3

Lasca

Wow! What a bunch of great bg's this is going to be!

aikex222

they are doing a lot of great works here, can't wait to see them all finished  ;-D

GreenBeams

@adventuress - i'm itching to see what you come up with. Already the sneakpeak is giving me some fantastic nostalgic feelings!

@Msr OUXX - the already looks epic.... EPIC, I say! Well done on having the discipline to stick with it after losing all that work!

Thanx for all the kind words.
Well this competition is a nice little warm up for the demo project. And a good training for my own future project, too.
I do not know how the boys will like to have it all be, but for myself I came up with a technic that mixes old school pixel art with modern elements. I call it a reload of good old times, but with some spice to it. And it is a lot of work. (laugh)

My electicity system seems not handling current temperatures pritty well, it keeps crashing. I hope, I'll be able to make it. I just can upload continuously files to my online gallery. If happens the worse, by smart phone I still could post a link to the last step I was able to make.

We will see.

I<3Pindorama!

Ouxx, I who should thank.
Your persistence show respect and love
for your art and this is a Undoubtedly one of many ways to share
with everyone in here the true spirit of an artist. Thanks!

When the Art is the God...no exit my friend! (wrong)
We have to sacrifice our souL!
Hey! This is connected to the contest!

Despite my boldness to put my "ugly duck art" in the same lake where
truly beautiful swans are floating ... I am proud to participate and
learn with so many different forms of swimming and flights expressed
in the creative ideas of each one.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: I<3Pindorama! on Tue 09/12/2014 04:35:27
my "ugly duckling art" in the same lake with beautiful swans
It's not uncommon that voters pick backgrounds for their originality and cleverness rather than just their looks. So keep it up! That's the spirit! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk