December MAGS

Started by Klaus, Tue 30/11/2004 09:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AGS community is a very international community and this is what Sinitrena wants to celebrate with her guidelines for this month:

Internationality

- I want to see games that take place in at least two different countries. It should be possible to recognize these countries (for example if one of your countries is France you could use the Eiffel Tower somewhere in the background).

- Furthermore I want you to use one "country specific" item for each of these countries (e.g. Coca Cola in the USA).

- This game should have a translation in an other language than english as well or two different languages in-game (if you don't speack any other language you could write the words of the speech of one character backwards or something like that).

- Resolution: 320x200 at 16 bit colour.

No other restrictions...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by December 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Bugalicious

i thought coke came from somewhere else.  oh and nice guidelines. I might enter, if i can think of something...

(no christmas stuff this month eh? oh well)
Bugs Page Is Here!

Sinitrena

Quoteno christmas stuff this month eh? oh well
If you want you can use Santa Claus as youre main character, there's no restriction agains christmas in this months guidlines. ;D

Eigen

I might join. I want to use Estonia (my home country) as one of the countries. So if I put in an secret hideout of Kazaa/Skype programmers  :=, would it be reconizable that it's Estonia?

-Eigen

JudgeDeadd

Hopefully I'll join (with my home country, Poland)
You know what they say... no... wait... you don't. What a shame.

Czar

Yeah, Santa should be put as a must, atleast as a background character...
The snow will come by itslef, Etiopia or no Etiopia.
Err, Estonia.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Sinitrena

QuoteI might join. I want to use Estonia (my home country) as one of the countries. So if I put in an secret hideout of Kazaa/Skype programmers  Larry Values!!11, would it be reconizable that it's Estonia?

To be honest: I don't no anything about Estonia.  ??? So I'm sure I will not recognize it whatever you use to make it recognizeable. But if someone else from Estonia can recognize it it's ok. ;)

Lazy Z

Ok, I'm a bit confused,

Quote- This game should have a translation in an other language than english as well or two different languages in-game (if you don't speack any other language you could write the words of the speech of one character backwards or something like that).

So basically can make up our own language, of sorts? What if we use a language that's considered "dead" (like ancient Greek) or one that was never really used, like the Elvish language in Lord of the Rings? And if this is so, does it apply both to the translation and the in-game language?
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Sinitrena

QuoteSo basically can make up our own language, of sorts? What if we use a language that's considered "dead" (like ancient Greek) or one that was never really used, like the Elvish language in Lord of the Rings? And if this is so, does it apply both to the translation and the in-game language?
Well, dead languages are still languages and Elvish has grammer and words, so in my opinion it is a real language. Of course you can use them.
I added the part about some own language because I know that there are a few people arround who don't speak a language expect (sp) english and I wanted to give them the possibilitie to enter as well.
You can use "self-made" languages both in-game or as a translation, but I don't think anybody would translate his/her whole game into elvish  ;) It's easy to translate a game form english in youre mother tongue but in a very different language you never  really learned?
BTW, I would really like to see a game in elven tongue  :D

pcj

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 09/12/2004 10:14:53
BTW, I would really like to see a game in elven tongue :D

That would require another font and probably wouldn't be too feasible.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Radiant

I'm sure there are font files for Quenya or Sindarin (not to mention Futhark) on the web somewhere. I'm also sure that almost nobody would be able to read any of it :)

pcj

Uh, yes there are.  Tengwar Gandalf works quite well, but I can't remember where I found it.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 11/12/2004 11:46:09
I'm sure there are font files for Quenya or Sindarin (not to mention Futhark) on the web somewhere. I'm also sure that almost nobody would be able to read any of it :)

What about Dwarfish, Black Speech and Ancient Rohirrim (Old English)?

JudgeDeadd

unfortunately my computer was down for a few days and thus I won't be able to finsih the game in time... :(
You know what they say... no... wait... you don't. What a shame.

BlackMan890

I can help, I can Translate anything into my Language (Icelandic) :D
Spoiler
cause i am too lazy to create a game
[close]
::)

EDIT
with the word 'anything' i mean any word in english :D
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

Klaus

Hm... A lot of questions concerning fonts and languages, but even four days after the deadline there still are no submissions. So for this competition:
No entry, no winner  :-[

Better luck next month... Hopefully...

Quote(e.g. Coca Cola in the USA).
Coca Cola isn't just in the USA you know, It's a global brand, in fact research shows that 'Coca Cola' is the 2nd most recoginsed word (or phrase) in the world in all languages, after 'OK'

Just like to point that out.

:D

Oliver

Anyway, is this the first time MAGS doesn't have any entries?
You got it!

Coming Soon!

Abulafia

Quote from: Eigen on Tue 30/11/2004 19:33:06So if I put in an secret hideout of Kazaa/Skype programmersÃ,  :=, would it be reconizable that it's Estonia?

An interview with the programmers in a British web design magazine said that they were Swedish. Even there names sounded more Scandinavian than Fin-Ugric.

Guest1138

What's going to happen for the January MAGS?

Czar

Okay, as I saw this topic still open, i wanted to put my 2c:

I only want to say that i am very dissapointed that this years christmas MAGS wasn't (i wont say remotley) about christmas. It somehow broke the just established tradition, and I think a lot of us has hoped (even if by the side) that there will be a few xmas games this year.

Of course, it is not Sinitrena's fault that this MAGS wasn't a great success, it is always in the people.
They choose their destiny.
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about the xmas theme not being here, and i wasn't judging anyone. :)

C.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Klaus

Quote from: Oliver on Mon 03/01/2005 11:37:31
Anyway, is this the first time MAGS doesn't have any entries?
It's not the first time that there's no entry for the MAGS competition. It's always sad to see a big discussion ending in no MAGS game just like in April 2003 the topic was "Simpler Times" (a game that takes place in the past) and two years ago with "New Years Eve".

Quote from: Guest1138 on Mon 03/01/2005 16:23:12
What's going to happen for the January MAGS?
For this case there exists a "pool of guideline ideas". The ideas are collected all through the year and if it comes to the point that there is no new winner simply one of these guidelines is picked from the list. So have fun with the January rules.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk