Fortnightly Writing Contest: Outlandish! (VOTING until EoD April 27th)

Started by Mandle, Thu 04/04/2024 14:45:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

I'd prefer a tie-breaking vote.

Though I wouldn't mind giving hosting duties to Stupot - I can't think of a good theme right now anyway.

QuoteOh FFS... I posted in here yesterday but AGS seems to think I didn't. I SAW it posted with my own little beadies, I swear!

The forums do seem a bit -sporadic- the last couple of weeks: sometimes they load, sometimes they don't, sometimes they're slow, sometimes fast...

Stupot

Mandle

Mandle

Sorry, I got a bit busy with work but I have read Sini's and Stu's stories and made my decision.

I read Stu's first and it was excellent.

Feedback for Stu:

Spoiler
I think it is one of your best ever in the FWC. Apart from the hilarious situations that actually made me laugh out loud for real a few times, the way you pull the reader in is done great. And making it chapter 6 of a memoir is brilliant. It says just enough but hints at a much richer world so doesn't seem contrived to just be a short story that exists because someone made it up. I loved the little "boring" touches like "The Brown House" (also double-meaning considering the ending) and betting with lentils, and "a thoroughly early night", all providing a beige patina of dullness. Nice touch slipping in the touch about how the lighter got in the house without me, at least, noticing at the time.

Oh, and using the interviews as exposition about the characters was a master touch! Especially because that's what they are there on the shows for in the first place, so some of the best (and meta) seamless exposition ever right there! Like with the content warning, it is exactly what it is, a story device, but has a perfectly good reason to be there in the context of a memoir. And the few moments I had where I thought "could these showrunners really be this dumb?!" I remembered they are reality TV producers and it was totally plausible.

Like I said, I read this one first and it left me with the warm feeling of having read a story I really enjoyed. So, I was pretty sure it would be my choice, but then...
[close]

...I read Sini's next:

Spoiler
My God, Sini. You took it to a whole new level this time. Your story was MASTERFUL! I'm gonna sound petty here maybe but I think it's also one of the best and most genuine compliments a writer can get: I felt actively jealous while reading your story at how GOOD the writing is. You were in the ZONE!

And the story was one that matched the excellence of the writing. Such an unexpected story that really feels like it must have happened because it is so grounded and outside the norm for what a fiction writer would come up with. IS it inspired by a true event? If not, it REALLY felt like it was, and even more kudos to you.

I have nothing more to say. It's flawless. You get my vote. Over to you!
[close]

Baron, I have yet to read yours, but I will soon AND post feedback for sure!

EDIT:

Just read Baron's and

Spoiler
It was good with a nice central idea that was charming and also creeped me out a bit. I'm a sucker for those "creepy things kids say" stories, like the dad overhearing his toddler asking his newborn brother, "Timmy, can you tell me about heaven again? I'm starting to forget."

Anyway, it felt a bit like you were pushed for time and couldn't round out all the details as well as you would have liked, but I still enjoyed it. One question: was it an actual monster in the fridge, or was that another garbled sentence from the boy that the reader was supposed to get? If the latter: what was it? Cos I couldn't get it.
[close]

Sinitrena

Thanks everyone for your votes and words. This was a good round with some interesting stories!

QuoteIS it inspired by a true event? If not, it REALLY felt like it was, and even more kudos to you.

It is not. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know what I was writing about until after the fourth paragrph (so after the description of the house). I just startet to write.

See you all in the next round, once I've come up with a topic... I'm sure I'll think of something by tomorrow at the latest.

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 29/04/2024 17:38:19I didn't even know what I was writing about until after the fourth paragrph (so after the description of the house). I just startet to write.

Ah, one of those times the magic muse happens by... opportunity well grabbed!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk