July MAGS

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/07/2004 07:38:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaz and Foz decided not to submit their ideas for this new competition. On the other hand I think the source code of "Apocalype Vel" also is not yet available... Is it? So it's Minimi on his own who set this month's guidelines:

Theme - Animals

- As for most of the time humans are the character you play in a game for this time the main character must be an animal! Big, small - whatever you want it to be. It can also be an insect or a fish if that's what you want to ask...Ã,  :) All kind of ... animal.

- There's yet another guideline that perhaps is even more difficult to set up:
You must also make your own GUI system. So no standard graphics are allowed for this. You might want to stick to the standard GUIs that can easily be implemented using AGS but better try to invent and set up something new.

- No other restrictions
There's no list of items that need to appear in your game. But if you want to include some special things how about using elements that use an animal in their name like the famous "monkey wrench" or a "hot dog"...

---------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in on July 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Phemar

Cool!~I'm gonna enter here!

P.S. Can we use a template GUI?

Mr Jake

Humans are animals  ;D

Minimi

-Templates not allowed!
-Not gonna discuss weither humans are animals or not, but let's say that the animal human is not allowed, happy? ;)

Good luck all who enter. I didn't like too complicated rules though I LOVE animals, and like to see some original ones :)

Mats Berglinn

The rules are very original, however, it seems a bit strict with that GUI rule because it's very hard to think up a new GUI without making it similiar to the Sierra GUI, the SCUMM GUI, the Verb Coin, Apprentice Interface etc, etc, etc, and then trying to script it (not all AGS members are good at scripting C++ or scripting in the complicated AGS way) for a month. I think it's quite harsch if you ask me (I bet nobody would).

I got two question even if I'm not going to be a part of this month MAGS.
1: Do the animals have to be "naked" (no clothes) or is it ok have them wear clothes?
2: Must the animals behave like animals or is it okay to behave like cartoon animals (walking on their hindlegs, dance etc)?

Minimi

ok... you kinda misunderstood. A new GUI is in my opinion then also only replacement of graphics. So in that case, templates are ok, but make your own graphics with them.

Furthermore.. let me ask you this question. Are you less human when you wear shoes? No you aren't, so animals with or without clothes, I don't care. And your second question is pretty clear to me. If it is a animal they can smoke weed if you want to ;)

Have fun this month!

Phemar

Ishmael

I would enter, but I'm afraid I don't have much time... I'll see what I can do, the GUI rule seems to be just like... made for me ;D
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Lucky

Ooh, furry.

I think I might give this a shot, if I can come up with a decent idea that is...

Redwall

Hehe, I have been working on a game with a polar bear as a main character... well, I was until I started working on my Kyojo game again.

I hope somebody makes a game with a unique interface based on an animal's senses, like a dog that has "smell" vision rather than eyesight...

Unforunately I'm too busy to do such a game. :(
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Sinitrena

Great idea to use animals as main character. I think I will enter this month.

Ginny

eYeah, in combination with the GUI rule, the animal rule opens up lots of possibilities for original gameplay. I'm gonna have a little brainstorm and get back to you, but I'm probably entering (or at least trying to). :)

edit: Well, not sure I'll enter per se, most likely I'll think of an idea and make it sometime in the future.. heh. Too many projects at the moment.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Lazy Z

I also like the rules, I have an idea for a game, so I'll try to join too. Not sure though, since I don't know if I'll have the time...

Just for the record, foz did release the open-source version of Apocolypse Vel.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Phemar

Oh shootness. I'm gonna have to withdraw my entry. I just don't have...watsamacallit...inspiration.

And I can't draw animals for crap. Well cheers...

spud

Are cursors counted as the gui or can they be kept with the default graphic

SierraFreak

I'm in this month.  I was REALLY new last month, so I didn't want to participate until I got the swing of things.  I've got a great idea for this month.  It's a little mundane, but I'm going to blow it out of proportion to make it grander.

I can't wait to submit my entry and check out the other ones!  ;D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

DragonRose

Does it have to be a real animal? Such as... oh, I don't know... a dragon?

Me likes dragonses.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Minimi

Spud : Cursors are counted yes. Don't use the standard graphics please.

Dragonrose : Dragons aren't animals, but if you can come up with a really nice game with dragons, then go for it! ;)

[Cameron]

If dragons are not animals, what the hell are they?

Privateer Puddin'

A mythical monster traditionally represented as a gigantic reptile having a lion's claws, the tail of a serpent, wings, and a scaly skin..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk