King Simulator 2013

Started by WHAM, Wed 06/11/2013 07:21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Not a command but a suggestion- Radiant, why not combine maping out the route to Turbinistan AND seeking out strange valuables? Since we know hardly anything about the kingdom's layout? In addition, Kevin would be travelling in company of a merchant who *knows* the route, and might be able to share his knowledge.

Radiant

Because Turbinistan doesn't sound so great so far; it's apparently dangerous and offers goods that we don't actually want. So I'd be more interested in learning about the other directions before committing too much to this one.

miguel

I still think it's cheaper to order Lancelot to train men from our town than to hire another hero, who is (by Lancelot standards) inexperienced.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Tibatonk

Did he just call us an "upstart king"? I say we have Sir Kevin disconnected from his head. Oh wait, we haven't got an executioner yet...

But for real, DO NOT HIRE THAT GUY! It would send a terrible message. We would never be respected as a king again. And what use is a knight who doesn't want to prove himself anyhow? Isn't that exactly what knighthood is supposed to be all about?

>Tell Sir Kevin that we are not looking for a mercenary who is out to serve his own interests but for a true knight who is dedicated from his heart to serve both the realm and its lord as owed to the code of chivalry. A man who lives for honor and glory and not for money alone. And a man who seeks challenge and not refuses it.

miguel

I'm with Tibatonk here.
We have the great Lancelot with us, a capable and honoured man who can train our own people. As a King we would knight the best men after training and accomplished quests.

Tibatonk

Not only this, but we simply cannot allow this cheap nobody to question our authority and upstage us. If we do, we might just as well abdicate right now.

What we need to do, is turn the situation in our favor. We have to make our original proposal - working for us for free - sound like something desireable, like the right thing to do. If we have to make an enemy out of Kevin in the process, so be it. We will in turn gain the respect of Lancelot and this might help us tremendously in the future.

And if we shame Kevin into begging for a second chance, all the better.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Tibatonk on Sat 14/12/2013 20:09:48
>Tell Sir Kevin that we are not looking for a mercenary who is out to serve his own interests but for a true knight who is dedicated from his heart to serve both the realm and its lord as owed to the code of chivalry. A man who lives for honor and glory and not for money alone. And a man who seeks challenge and not refuses it.
+1
Plus: > You would have been compensated for your discoveries or conquests upon your return, but if that isn't satisfactory, that's all I can offer.

I agree that accepting his offer to hire him, changing your initial decision, means he has now won and we would show weakness or to be fickle in our decisions - not very kingly at all.

Problem

Quote from: Tibatonk on Sat 14/12/2013 20:09:48>Tell Sir Kevin that we are not looking for a mercenary who is out to serve his own interests but for a true knight who is dedicated from his heart to serve both the realm and its lord as owed to the code of chivalry. A man who lives for honor and glory and not for money alone. And a man who seeks challenge and not refuses it.
+1

miguel

QuoteQuote from: Tibatonk on Yesterday at 20:09

+1
Plus: > You would have been compensated for your discoveries or conquests upon your return, but if that isn't satisfactory, that's all I can offer.

+1

Baron

I've got to go with the consensus here.  I agree with Radiant's position that the exploration program needs to move forward, and I even think that expendable little twerps like Sir Kevin would be the ideal dragon fodder warriors-in-training to do it.  But the "upstart king" comment is indefensible, so I agree with Ryan that putting up with that would seem weak.  Tibatonk's suggestion of beheading him would serve as a good example to others that we are to be respected at all times, but it would be disproportionate to the offence.  I say we ream him out aloud for his impudence and send him on his way.   

QuoteQuote from: Tibatonk on Yesterday at 20:09

+1

Quote from: miguel on Sat 14/12/2013 19:17:17
>> order Lancelot to train men from our town

+1 on this too, since he's standing there anyway.

WHAM

“We are not looking for a mercenary who is out to serve his own interests but for a true knight who is dedicated from his heart to serve both the realm and its lord as owed to the code of chivalry. A man who lives for honor and glory and not for money alone. And a man who seeks challenge and not refuses it.” -you bellow at Sir Kevin. He chuckles and nods at Sir Lancelot in return.

“And Sir Lancelot here serves you just to be chivalrous and noble, is that it? He and his men pay for their equipment, lodging, food and whores out of their own pocket? Tell me, what quest did Lancelot undertake before being named military advisor of the king as well as the captain of the guard?”

Sir Kevin steps closer to you, gesturing in a threatening way. Within seconds Lancelot and two of his knights emerge to protect their King, causing Sir Kevin to step back.

“Phah! I could care less! But do have it your way, usurper, I shall take my men elsewhere. Pray that we never meet again.”

Before you have a chance to respond to this menacing threat, Sir Kevin turns his back to you and gestures for his men to follow. The knights begin the file out of the throne room, muttering curses. Sir Lancelot gives you a look to see if you are all right as well as to see if you wish to instruct him to take further action.

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Tibatonk

Note to self for future audiences: Don't let somebody we don't know enter with fifteen of his men, all armed to the teeth. Turns out to be potentially dangerous.

Also, if ever asking heroes to prove themselves again, maybe we should offer to pay them a small fee for it. This kingdom seems surprisingly capitalistic.

As for now, I guess its time for our old project?

>>Ask LANCELOT if he's willing to TRAIN, with his choosing, of any able bodied TOWNSFOLK that OFFER their services to be GUARDS.
>>Ask LANCELOT'S advice on finding trustworthy HEROES.

Radiant

Well, let's call in Robina and see if we can avoid a similar bad situation.

miguel

This could have turned into a deadly situation. How does Lancelot allow 15 armed men so close to us?

>Order Lancelot to confiscate all weapons to visitors of the throne room;
>Cautiously reprehend Lancelot for allowing 16 armed men into the throne room;
also,
Quote>>Ask LANCELOT if he's willing to TRAIN, with his choosing, of any able bodied TOWNSFOLK that OFFER their services to be GUARDS.

+1

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Tibatonk on Mon 16/12/2013 17:27:59
>>Ask LANCELOT if he's willing to TRAIN, with his choosing, of any able bodied TOWNSFOLK that OFFER their services to be GUARDS.
+1

Also we definitely need Robina, assuming she's a quality archer, to also train these men. We want any of these men that get trained by the crown to be crown's men, not mercenaries. With a contract that gives them money, food, and possibilities of Lordship and land, prison time if they run from duty. The only out being of age or disability or if the crown approves of the request. Full-time permanent job.

Baron

Quote from: Tibatonk on Mon 16/12/2013 17:27:59
Also ask LANCELOT'S advice on finding trustworthy HEROES.
+1

(actually I modified it into one command, so that the dungeon-master doesn't get all WHAM on us and only run the first line. ;) )

I too am intrigued by Robina.  But I think you guys are overreacting in the security department.  Yes, Kevin was a bit of a hot-head, and no doubt we'll have to murderously devise his doom later on, but he's really all just piss-and-wind, running his mouth to appear the big man in front of his posse.  Boys will be boys...  Now, were Robina to accost us physically and have her way with us, well....  As I say, do we really need that much protection?  :=

In all seriousness, warriors who come into our presence seem to assume a right to bear arms, as was the custom in olden times (indeed, the right of nobility to the present day), so I think we might be fighting an uphill battle on that front.  I think, for the time being, we have nothing to worry about, as Lancelot seems to have calculated all of the outcomes and posted guards to be at the ready.  This attempt on our person has merely affirmed my faith in his abilities.  Our priority now should be to get him more reliable people (as voted above), and then turn our attentions to other audiences. 

miguel

Still, if we'd said the "wrong" words and Sir Kevin and his 15 men decided to attack us (Kevin did say we were the usurper king) who knows what the dice would have called? Imagine a worse scenario where Lancelot gets injured and loses a battle. Would Sir Kevin spare our life?

Fair enough that a Sir has the right to come armed, but the bulk of his men should stay outside.

Baron

It wouldn't matter how many armed men there were, if we'd just build that damn trap door! :=

miguel

You mean with a giant unsuspicious lever on the side?

kconan

Quote from: Baron on Tue 17/12/2013 22:19:47
It wouldn't matter how many armed men there were, if we'd just build that damn trap door! :=

Yes!  I'm telling you...Punji stakes and/or stocked with hungry lions.

And the bigger the unsuspicious lever the better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk