MAGS January: "The Pub" (WINNER)

Started by Atelier, Tue 03/01/2012 17:21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Moogle

that's right I almost forgot about about that part of the forums. I'll give that a shot. thanks.
OSD online

Sane Co.

Atelier should post the revised rules on the MAGS main page, or in each post, so new people won't go against them without knowing.
Sane Co.

Ghost

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 10/01/2012 05:56:42
You're brave. I'm still sufering adrenalin and caffeine withdrawal, and when I close my eyes I see "z"ombies dancing with an @. Maybe next month...

I restate. I am also brave, I have gotten rid of the superfluous caffeine, and I am officially entering this MAGS.
Screenshot upcoming really very soonishly.

Radiant

Quote from: Sane Co. on Wed 11/01/2012 05:29:21
Atelier should post the revised rules on the MAGS main page, or in each post, so new people won't go against them without knowing.
I thought we were merely discussing the first draft so far, with several people opining  that formalized rules aren't necessary in the first place?

Kasander

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 03/01/2012 17:21:48
First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee.

I can easily meet first and second criteria, but about third, that's another cup of coffe (since I'm greenhorn in AGS). Nevertheless, I would like to participate in this month's MAGS.

I don't want to spoil too much about my game, and some things are still to decide. But this I know for sure:
- the protagonist is a young girl from 1910s-1920s
- the game will take place in a dreamy, weird world
- there will be an inn in it ;)

I have another (non-AGS) project on my mind at the moment, but I'll do my best and will try to make it on time.
Cheers to all the other participants! ;D

Atelier

Hi Kasander and welcome, your entry sounds interesting :D And Ghost, I'm glad you could make it back in :) So it's almost half way and it's shaping up nicely.

Ghost

Okay, this is taking shape... progress is steady. Seems like I can make it to the deadline.

Might & Magic VII. Need I say more? The game was huge, full of quests, and there was a party of unlikely heroes trying to save the world.
Well, technically. Because the epic game also had TAVERNS, and in those taverns, you could play ARCOMAGE, a simple Magic clone.
Rumour has it that quite a number of players never bothered with the game's main quest. They sat in the taverns and played Arcomage.

So here it is- a blatant ripoff faithful recreation of the game that once was played in every pub, nonchalantly called:
A Game Of Cards About Powerhungry Wizards Who Try To Wreck Each Other's Tower With Spells And Beasts While Keeping Their Own Tower Intact (Note to self: Working Title!)

Dualnames

Ghost, this looks AAAWWWWWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWSSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSMMMMMEEEEEE!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

I think Acromage was in M&M VIII as well.  Loved it!  (But did complete the main quest, stupid though it was - never completed M&MVII, too buggy trying to get it to work on Vista even in compatability mode).

Anyway, I digress - I can't wait to play A Game Of Cards About Powerhungry Wizards Who Try To Wreck Each Other's Tower With Spells And Beasts While Keeping Their Own Tower Intact!  A name that Leonard of Quirm himself would be proud of!  ;D

You could always call it AGOCAPWWTTWEOTWSABWKEOTI for short.

Actually, Agocapwa has a nice ring to it.

Radiant

I just realized that neither the original Arcomage nor the free remake runs on my computer, so please finish this :)

Ghost

Yes, I think after MM7 it was in every Might&Magic. The cool thing is that the rules are all there, so no inventing cards or need to tweak. Even if I can't make it to the deadline (3+34=102 cards eat a lot of art), I'll defenitely see this through.
In 320x240, too. Low-res is so much nicer than 640x480 (which is also low res, but less so).

Thanks for the comments, lads, now get your own MAGS started!

CaptainD is also resposible for a possible title: Agocapwa = Age o' Card War

Calin Leafshade

QuoteLow-res is so much nicer than 640x480 (which is also low res, but less so).

I love this sentence.

Tabata

Nostalgic Cards-War?
Nice idea - we are going nostalgic and we will play strong card-fights in the pub ;D

QuoteLow-res is so much nicer than 640x480 (which is also low res, but less so).

It's a real Ghost's Glimpse - and I like it, too!

How about a little interim report from the "rest" of the participants, too?
... and maybe a screenie ?
... and ...
I would love to get some information about all the MAGS-games in work  ;)

Ponch

I should have a screenie up before Friday.

Moogle

Treasure Finder:PMQ
[Mog.Net + Studio3 + Sane Co.]
This is a child's Storybook style game. It explains the story of how the players quest requires him to travel to the hidden world to search for the fall artifacts known as the Dawn stars. The Dawn stars only fall once every 1000 years so this is this once in a life time chance to try and gather 3 of them.
OSD online

Atelier

Ok moogle does it follow the guidelines or have you entered because it has the word pub in the title? Ghost's is just ok I think because it has context (a card game associated with taverns and being played inside a pub). As long as your entry features a pub or makes (not a throwaway) reference to a pub it will be ok - but not if it's just in the title. I'm only checking because there isn't any mention of a pub in your premise.

Secondly I thought icey wasn't competing in MAGS for a while? Not only was it generally agreed he shouldn't as some form of punishment for the debacle last month, icey even said himself he wouldn't:

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 05/01/2012 22:20:26
I already said that I wasn't going to enter cause not only am I busy but I mean I already got to see the two mags I wanted to see and I don't think I want to enter again cause the time is to much to worry about.

Or are you just entering for him because you devised some kind of sneaky workaround? Sane Co you seem a decent guy, could you shed some light? Sorry don't want to cause another scene, just trying to figure out what's really going on.

Moogle

No Icey, Sane Co. and I are working on this game together. i am not really a good drawer so that's where Icey fills in and i can't make music so that's why I have Sane Co..

Usually me and Icey always work together and I am able to release a PMQ game cause I work under Studio3. and I know i didn't explain much in the game he explains that he was tasked by someone in the Pub.
OSD online

Icey

Atelier I said I would not enter from the very beginning however I still offered my help as well to those who would need it for this MAGS. Nobody asked me for help besides Mog so I plan to keep both of my words. I promised I wouldn't enter and I promised I would help those in need.

Also I got my OSD and PMQ mags so I have no more intention of making anymore as of now. It's fully up to Mog what he want's to do if he wins but I just hope it's another interesting mags I will follow up on on the sidelines.

Atelier

Hm ok. Icey actually set the theme: "Create a game where the hero is given a quest by someone in a Pub then leaves to go and do what he was tasked to do." I altered it a bit, but those words conveniently fit almost exactly with the premise of your game, so the whole thing will remain suspicious.

Ghost

I just messed up. Please forgive the double post, it was a MESS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk