MAGS March "Cut in Half" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Tue 05/03/2024 03:10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS March?

MORT: Manageably OK Response Team (by RootBound)
3 (33.3%)
Pod Dwellers (by Mandle)
1 (11.1%)
Breakfast Requiem (by jfrisby and Babar)
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Yesterday at 11:55:52

Mandle

I only jut got started today, but things are moving along alright.

4KbShort

Hey my dudes! I just wanted to poke in and say I've not forgotten AGS or the MAGS!
But I've been super busy with a new job and trying to release my first ever game on Steam! (Which means I have to finish it! O_O) So I wanted to give a shoutout to all the people who participated in the last couple months of MAGS and say thanks for keeping it going!

You guys rock!
I have a website: https://www.fordabble.com/
I've made some games: https://4kbshort.itch.io/
I've made some videos: https://www.youtube.com/@encouragingthings
And some game videos: https://www.youtube.com/@4Kbshort

Mandle

Quote from: 4KbShort on Sun 10/03/2024 14:26:21Hey my dudes! I just wanted to poke in and say I've not forgotten AGS or the MAGS!
But I've been super busy with a new job and trying to release my first ever game on Steam! (Which means I have to finish it! O_O) So I wanted to give a shoutout to all the people who participated in the last couple months of MAGS and say thanks for keeping it going!

You guys rock!

Cheers for the good word! Also, "Someware" is the greatest name for a game company. Shocked it wasn't already taken!

RootBound

Well, I had to completely recode the split screen functionality because the jury-rigged way I did it was going to make building the rest of the game an incredible pain.  :X

Thankfully, I finally taught myself how to use viewport and game cameras, so it's not jury-rigged anymore but is a legit split screen.  ;-D

Now that that's done, hopefully the rest of the game should be easier (famous last words  :P )

The foundation is in place!
They/them. Here are some of my games:

RootBound

I really ought to be coding the puzzles at this point, but here I am coding a custom SayAt extender function to keep each character's speech text within their respective viewports... because that's more novel for me.  (roll)

Kastchey

Quote from: RootBound on Sat 16/03/2024 13:52:55I really ought to be coding the puzzles at this point, but here I am coding a custom SayAt extender function to keep each character's speech text within their respective viewports... because that's more novel for me.  (roll)
I know right! Important stuff  (nod)

cat

Half-time! Before you leave for your break, please tell us how you are progressing. Who managed to make a game that is playable from start to finish?

RootBound

Quote from: cat on Tue 19/03/2024 08:30:47Who managed to make a game that is playable from start to finish?

No bonus points for me! (laugh) The game is about 2/3 playable but bugs keep cropping up every step of the way. Turns out I'm trying to do something difficult. :P

jwalt

Quote from: cat on Tue 19/03/2024 08:30:47Half-time! Before you leave for your break, please tell us how you are progressing. Who managed to make a game that is playable from start to finish?

I won't have anything this month. I normally have better luck with the project than I am at the present time. I do hope to continue the effort, but it's not happening this month.

cat

Durinde

Haven't progressed much. Life stepped in heavy. I'm still going to try and produce something since I have a few days off coming up.

Radiant

Quote from: cat on Wed 20/03/2024 08:59:22How about everyone else? @eri0o @Durinde @Radiant @newwaveburritos @Ponch @Mandle
I'm still here. This is sort-of playable in that you can walk through all the rooms, but the in-room activities are still missing.

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Wed 20/03/2024 08:59:22How about everyone else? @eri0o @Durinde @Radiant @newwaveburritos @Ponch @Mandle

Well, I didn't start until the 10th, so not halfway for me yet on my personal timeline, hehe.

But things are going along well. I'm getting some work done on the game most days. In fact, today put in a good 5 hours or so.

Front end of the game is playable start to finish. All content is working, although more of the same content must still be added. But all that will just be added into the same template I have in place for the current stuff, so doesn't take long.

Back end of the game is progressing steadily structure-wise, but not playable yet. Setting the foundations for the template there.

Will post some screenies and info on the game in a day or two.

Ponch

RootBound

Almost there! Just need to code the final puzzle (and you know, make sure the final puzzle is actually fun, but with MAGS that's optional ;)). Also, still need to do lots of testing, because WOW, do I keep finding bugs.  8-0  And also, write the credits. And turn off debug mode.  (roll)

EDIT: And speaking of credits, who did the default Roger walk cycle? Both my characters just paint-overs of this...

Mandle

I'm still here, too. And progress is going strong.

The name of my game is "Pod Dwellers". If anyone is familiar with the game "60 Seconds", they will see quite a bit of influence from it in my game.

You start out aboard the Starship Voidlight. The ship has just come out of warp into an uncharted asteroid cluster and has been struck, rendering its engines and everyone else on board, except you, unconscious. You have a limited number of moves to look around the ship, gather up people and equipment, and stash them in the escape pod, before a massive asteroid splits the ship asunder. You will not have time to take everyone/everything, so will have to make some difficult choices. The items and people and their locations on the ship are randomized each playthrough, making each playthrough quite different.

The ship being split apart is not the only connection to this round's theme; the gameplay is also split into two parts:

If you, or others, can escape in the pod in time, the player will face a new challenge, which makes up the other half of the gameplay. More on that later.

For now, here is a screenie of one possibility for the split-point in the game:

Radiant

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 22/03/2024 22:43:56Probably not going to make the deadline.  :sad:
Same here, and I have plans for the Easter weekend so that doesn't cut it for me. How strict are we on March 31st?

Mandle

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 28/03/2024 15:20:04
Quote from: Ponch on Fri 22/03/2024 22:43:56Probably not going to make the deadline.  :sad:
Same here, and I have plans for the Easter weekend so that doesn't cut it for me. How strict are we on March 31st?

The deadline is April 3rd.

RootBound

Me before any playtesters: This game is the best! ;-D
Me after one playtester: This game is the worst! :(
Me after fixing all the bugs and clarifying the interface in response to the playtester: This game is good. Maybe. I guess. ???

Off to Easter festivities now. I should have my entry ready tomorrow! Have a great day, everyone.  :)

RootBound

Well, I've done it! Here's my entry for "Cut it in half"!  ;-D

DISCLAIMER: No matter how many times I play-test this game, I always find at least one more bug, so at some point I just had to stop. Hopefully I've fixed all the game-breaking ones and eliminated any dead ends (there aren't supposed to be any).

KNOWN BUG: let me know if the music doesn't play. This might be something on my system because it isn't consistent at all. Sometimes the music plays and sometimes it doesn't.  :-\

Without further ado...

MORT: Manageably OK Response Team

Is it an adventure game? Is it a platformer with only one short level? Who knows? You decide! (And let me know?)

Alternate between controlling Green MORT and Purple MORT (single player only) as you descend from the roof and climb up from the basement toward the ground floor where Pink MORT is being held. Can you outwit the robots and malfunctioning lifts to rescue your teammate? And yes, all these characters are paint-overs of the default Roger sprites. I had to cut corners somewhere.

Download for Windows
Download for Linux

Screenshots:

Thanks for playing! I hope you enjoy it!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk