May MAGS

Started by Klaus, Mon 03/05/2004 08:35:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis Vale

Dang. I was looking forward to the entries in this MAGS because I thought viewing source code would help me. Oh well...

Totoro

Quote from: OSC on Wed 26/05/2004 15:57:59
great games guys, both really nice. My vote goes to Coup De Cup though. Just love the atmosphere.

Of course its cool, but maybe the game which really follows the rules will win, OSC! :)

foz

Quote from: Totoro on Wed 26/05/2004 20:08:54

Of course its cool, but maybe the game which really follows the rules will win, OSC! :)

I don`t intend to upload the source sorry.....
We did`nt realize this was part of the rules until last nite.

I don`t mind giving a global script like minimi has done ...but i intend to re use the interface and scripting that has been put into our game.

A lot of hard work went into making that code and i`d prefer not to serve it up on a plater for all to use.....

I learnt from using the manual and looking on the forums....and from time to time i`m more than prepared to give my help if i can to anyone with a scripting problem.

If we are disqualified so be it.

Its not the winning that counts its the taking part.....hold on, i don`t think we are even able to take part.....which means no entries this month...unless minimi changes his mind.

Foz......

Totoro

Of course its everyones one decision whether to show his code to someone else.
But I am just wondering... for example "Exile" has been open source since I knew AGS. It has a very special interface and quite complicated coding I think. I never saw the interface appear in any other game though. So maybe there are not so many thieves out there as one might think (of course, robbery being the topic this month, we might get little more scared about burglars than usually  ;)  )

Minimi

I won't change my mind, foz, and I think they should adjust the rules. I mean I gave the sourcecode... and heck! Everything is in the manual, totorials or on the forum. If you still can't make game, your unworthy of using AGS, i.m.h.o.

.... *feels twisted*........

Lazy Z

QuoteIf you still can't make game, your unworthy of using AGS, i.m.h.o.

That's a bit rude, don't you think? I don't think they should adjust the rules, rules are rules. Maybe you should have read them a bit more carefully.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

foz

Quote from: Lazy Z on Wed 26/05/2004 23:17:50
rules are rules. Maybe you should have read them a bit more carefully.

I agree if i`d know this fact i would have spent time doing something else.........that said me and jaz have made a decent game...IMO....
(If its not classed as a MAGS game we`ll just put it in the short game section.)

And neither of us are majorly bothered if we get excluded.....
(we want to win but its not that important)..

This game was a way of taking a break from doing MIA....

I`m interested to see what the guys at MAGS are going to do......

Would it be the first time that no game has been entered....???

Foz

Kweepa

Seems to me if none of the entrants are willing to open source their game, the rules should change.
These guys made games that you presumably enjoyed. You'll just have to make your own open source game if you feel that strongly about it.

PS Sorry Minimi...
Must vote Coup de Cup...

[EDIT - While I liked Ralph, I thought the game was a bit simple, and the music didn't fit too well.]
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Minimi

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 26/05/2004 23:45:48
PS Sorry Minimi...
Must vote Coup de Cup...
I just hope you liked the game! I'm satisfied then.

spb

For whatever it's worth, I won't be able to finish the game I had intended to
enter this month.  Whenever it IS done, however, I am planning on making
the source available.  Even if it isn't actually a MAGS entry.

Actually, I'm thinking about distributing just about all my "scratch work"
as well:  the working script, the outline, the rough artwork, and that sort
of thing.  I do most of my artwork in gimp, so including an XCF file (the
native gimp format that includes layers, transparencies, and so forth) might
work, too.

Without getting into the whole opensource argument, I've got to admit I
find it kinda funny that a bunch of people who are (by and large) copying
interfaces (and sometimes entire games) originally designed by LucasArts
and Sierra are getting so torqued over the idea of someone copying their
work.

Totoro

Mmmh, if someone could bring up SOMETHING open source, I think that should win then in any case  ;D

Chicky

How scabby would it be for me to enter my unfinished mags entry, which IS open source?

going by what your saying Totoro that would be an easy win. But that would be pretty harsh on the other entrants, which have obviously worked harder than i have, as i havnt finished.

what should i do? if i would mean "saving mags" from having no entrants, then fine. But i dont want to steal the crown from the great entries so far.

Minimi

OK, I decided to make it open source, to meet the rules, so I can enter the MAGS.

Here is the sourcecode! Please, if you use any of the content of the game, give my website "http://www.solidussoft.tk" credit for it!

http://minimi.spijbelaars.com/RalphTheRavenSource.zip

Every newbie... enjoy these sourcefiles, of ralph the raven! It took me a whole month, to work on it on my own... so keep that in mind ;)

Klaus

Okay now. We all see it's a difficult situation. But it was clear from the first posting in this thread, that the game being open source is a part of the rules. Seeing Minimi offering his code now after this discussion is nice and it will surely be a great help for newbies to create their games. Thanks for that.

Now for the voting I'll allow both entries to be voted for. Why? Next month there will be a contest out of the standard settings. This gives me time to think about how to handle the problems and results of this month's competition... and as you all know it's about having fun and enjoying the games that are created and not about being forced to do things that you don't want to do...

So for voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Ralph the Raven by Minimi
Coup de Cup by jaz

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to the both participants.

juncmodule

Wow.

That's really sad that people are so wacky about open sourcing a project. I mean, AGS is free after all, and so are your games...Your not going to lose any money. I guess I just don't get it. :-\

Anyway, just so those that are posting here and hoping for some source code from some games, I posted the source to all of my games a while back. It didn't get much of a response so I don't think many people know about it. It includes the full source for Keptosh, which was Nominated for Best Game and Best Sound/Music in the 2003 AG Underground Awards.

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?topic=12149.0

later,
-junc

Minimi

Quote from: juncmodule on Thu 27/05/2004 16:11:46
Wow.

That's really sad that people are so wacky about open sourcing a project. I mean, AGS is free after all, and so are your games...Your not going to lose any money. I guess I just don't get it. :-\

hey... I gave it ok? Just read better! ;)

Damien

Quotehey... I gave it ok? Just read better!

Maybe he wasn't reffering to you.

Czar

Yeah, interesting.

I hope you guys seized the moment, cause the magic moments/ten minutes aint comin back.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

foz

Hi all....

I have a compromise....

I want to reuse this interface for a future project....but i will publish my open source for APOC VEL....novembers mags entry.....hopefully any one who wants can learn some stuff from that.....

I`ll do that soon when i get a spare moment.

Foz..

juncmodule

QuoteJust read better!

Minime, please don't scold me for something that you didn't do. I was making a general statement. It wasn't directed at anyone. It was directed at an issue.

I know that you released your source, but only after you attempted to release a game in a open source competition without open sourcing it! :P

Regardless, I think it brings up a few things.

One, people are interested in seeing open source projects.
Two, there aren't too many.
Three, what happens when people don't follow the rules in MAGS? I smell anarchy! (actually I think Klaus handled this really well, and like he said, it's about fun)

So, perhaps CJ will read this. Could we maybe have a open source category added to the games page? Perhaps as a cross category (is that too difficult to do, or time consuming).

later,
-junc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk