Monster Workshop - full sketch due tonight (Monday)!

Started by Andail, Sun 05/05/2013 17:24:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Yeah, Kasander, it's amazing to see Frazetta's perfectly harmonious compositions. That along with the dynamic poses of his figures are just eyecandy. I had books of Frazetta which I studied before there was even an internet, but I didn't understand until almost recently how much he worked with geometry.

Cerno

Just a short comment on Misj''s comments:
First of all, awesome and invaluable input, kudos!

Second, Miguel, what I really like about your initial design is the similarity to an Oni from Japanese mythology, especially like the ones depicted in Onikirimaru by Kei Kusunoki (example).  I'm not sure that this was intended, since you were going for a reptile, but I like the look a lot.
123  Currently working on: Sibun - Shadow of the Septemplicon

Ghost

Week 1, Step 2 - Roughs
So, I'll defenitely go for a "spliced human", but I want more than just a "Fly" copy. Why settle for one insect when you can mash up everything? So far I got a rough pose; now to research what makes a nice mash.

- Zombie-gait pose is always nice.
- You can say about Fly 2 what you like, the monster *was* awesome.
- The telepod's design in the movie is based on director Cronenberg's car's cylinders. The guy's a show-off.
- Also a painful testimony to the fact that I still can't draw a circle on my tablet.

waheela

Update! (Click here to go to the original post.)

Week 1, Step 2: Thumbnails (May 9, 2013)
After looking through a bunch of reference images, I made 5 thumbnails in order to explore
the composition of my piece. I always force myself to do 3-5 thumbnails before starting a pic,
even if I already have a strong idea on what I'm going to do. It's a challenge to go against my
preconceived notions for a piece, but sometimes, I'm able to come up with a more dynamic composition.

My first idea for the piece was the bottom, left image, but I ended up going with the top, right image instead.

Week 1, Step 3: Rough Sketch (May 9, 2013)
Here's the beginnings of a rough sketch. During the sketching, I often flip the canvas horizontally or
vertically. Your eyes get used to seeing the image in its regular form, so rotating or flipping it allows
your eyes to better spot glaring errors with the piece.

Here's the end result. I think this will be enough to build on, but I may revise it in the coming days.

I often have trouble with perspective, so I suspect I will have problems making the cards/table/hands look right. If anyone has any pointers, I'd be much obliged. :)

selmiak

Ghost, screw the circles, these fingers look creepy already :D
I remember fly 2 as a really bad film as a whole, I can't even remember how the flymonster looked in part 2, so it can't have been that good. But fly 1 great :D

nihilyst

Update: added two composition sketches, one with rough values.

Week 1, Sketch 2: two ideas for composition; one already with rough values

This one shows off the entire lake's floor with the creature growing out of a huge mess of a blob that covers the ground. On top, there's a boat visible to showcase the hugeness of the 'thing'. The tentacles reach out for it, but can't reach it, as if they were trying to break loose and escape their body, but they are stuck. They have to wait until they have grown even more. I'm not too happy with the right side yet; I'll have to revise it.
In the value sketch I tried to capture a rather tranquil feeling, with patches of sunlight shimmering on the floor, showing that this creature is part of the normal world and not evil at all.
Ideas: Cover the ground with some pimples and other gross stuff. No one should ever feel comfortable diving down there.

This second pic is closer to the water surface. But the more I look at it, I get drawn back to the first concept. Yeah, I like the first one better and will work on it from now on.

(Click to warp to original post)

Cuiki

A little update:
Week 1, Step 2 - First sketch

[imgzoom]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/missy_L/sketch-1.png[/imgzoom]

Not particularly happy with the way he turned out. I wanted to make him look like he's in great pain (that thing in his hand is supposed to be his own chopped-off arm), whereas now he just looks like he's doing some sort of a gay dance move. Any suggestions appreciated of course, though I hope the whole thing would look at least a bit better once I add colours and textures.

(original post HERE)
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

miguel

Misj':
QuoteMiguel, those human reptiles do walk among us. Please ignore my drawing-style... ;)

Thanks for the time you took "reading" my drawing. By the way, your skill is fantastic.
I liked what you did with the tail, it does look better.
I understand what you mean about the scales making Nitro cluttered and hard to "read" but I do love every one of his scales and it becomes less confusing in full size.
Anyway, as I write this lines, me and my wife decided to adopt the lizard and he'll be living with us.

Cerno:
That's one mean looking dude. Cool stuff! But, no. I didn't base my lizard on it or anything else. Just the pictures I showed for reference, specially the one where that dude is making out with a lizard.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Misj'

Added another small sketch just playing with and exploring the character.

I have to say, the wings are going to be a challenge to position with the right energy and stance. Then again I haven't tried any stance where she's actually using them. Maybe it's about time I should explore what she'll look like when jumping/flying. That could be quite interesting.

Quote from: miguel on Fri 10/05/2013 00:10:22Thanks for the time you took "reading" my drawing. By the way, your skill is fantastic. I liked what you did with the tail, it does look better.
Cheers, it was a fun exercise.

Misj'

Quote from: waheela on Sun 05/05/2013 18:47:18I often have trouble with perspective, so I suspect I will have problems making the cards/table/hands look right. If anyone has any pointers, I'd be much obliged. :)

This one's for you, Waheela

nihilyst

Week 1, Sketch 3: Refining the first sketch

Another revision:

Changed the right side to achieve a better flow. Changed values and set up some colors to establish a mood.
Added a sign in the foreground as a hint that there might have been a town or a factory which has been flooded later.

waheela

Misj', thank you so much for the feedback! You had some really great comments that I'd like to try out with the piece.

• The light source/shadow idea is a really interesting thought. I'll be experimenting with that next week for sure.
  • I really like the way you made the hands and cards more dynamic. It's a lot more interesting to the eye. I'll be playing with that idea more as well.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts! :)

dactylopus

I'd like to go ahead and join in the fun.

I decided to work on a Furry Monster:

So those are my primary references thus far.  I'd still like to investigate more face ideas, and establish some references for the pose.

Mordalles

some really great stuff in this thread.

Week 1 Step 1 (10/05/2013): I just want to do something easy as i've never really drawn a monster before. i wanted to monsterise a bunny but decided just to monsterise a turtle. he will drag something. (disclaimer, that bunny is just a quick sketch of a google photo. :D)
I'll just leave it in a relatively basic pose, as I don't want to jump in over my head.

now, the idea is to really monster up these basic shapes in the week to come.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

miguel

10th May 2013
step 8 - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Right, Nitro got some colours thrown at him. Basic tones assigned and light source as well.
The real work starts now as I want him to be wet and glossy without using any PS effects.
Tail changed position as suggested by the incredible Misj'.
Stay tuned for more on 'How Not To Draw Your Lizard'
Word of the Day: Bananarama

Original thread with all updates and great jokes
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Misj'

I added a new pose for Sandra (she's named Sandra now). It's an attack-pose that will probably serve as the basis of my final high-res piece. In the nature of feedback and criticism I've chosen to take a look and point out a few places where I went wrong. No paint-overs though...because that would be just weird. :)

cat

cat

Quote from: Cuiki on Thu 09/05/2013 23:52:54
I wanted to make him look like he's in great pain (that thing in his hand is supposed to be his own chopped-off arm), whereas now he just looks like he's doing some sort of a gay dance move.
I like your monster! I just didn't recognize the pain, probably because of the pose - I thought he copped his arm off to use it as a weapon which makes the picture even more creepy  :)
Maybe you could draw some blood dripping from the cut arm and his wound?

selmiak

first sketch from paper to the computer

seems a bit undynamic but also somehow fitting for this surprised looking blob...

first post

EchosofNezhyt

Damn Misj your a really good cartoonist.

Edit: I really wanna get something done but I've been super stressed lately and kinda meh feeling. Grr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk