Music Contest 2005! 1/10 - 1/18

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Mon 10/01/2005 03:13:00

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen, hope you're having a good new year. I bring to you now, the Music competiton for Mid-January.

"An offer he can't refuse"

The goal of this particular Music contest will be to create music to be played during a scene featuring an old-fashioned 'Godfather' style Don. We're talking a large man with a little moustache and a white suit. One who could have you killed with a wave of the hand by huge, angry men whose middle names are 'the'. Yet, he retains his dignity, and is a fair man, as long as you don't step on his toes. You know the type.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Oz

Here is the lobster!

http://hem.bredband.net/galactic/Mafioso.mp3

Sicily style. ;)

A bit unpolished, but I was in a hurry. Leaving town now, take care all!
Diversity is divine!

Rambutaan

Wow! That was pretty amazing - it was so amazing, I can't be bothered embarassing myself in writing up a MIDI for this :D.

What do you use to make your music Oz? ;D

Gregjazz

I don't even think I'll bother posting my entry. Oz has teh uber Gigasamples.

Sweet job, man!

EldKatt

I have crept out of my hole (or perhaps crept into the hole of geekiness) to tell you that I might participate. As usual, I promise nothing except that I'll start too late and finish too late.

And very well done, Oz. Your samples fill me with awe and maybe jealousy.

Gregjazz

Yeah, I'll cook up something, too. We can't leave him unchallenged, can we?

Gregjazz

Ah, but this Godfather-like character isn't always intimidating. He's actually quite the Santa... as long as you don't get on his bad side!

http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/AGScompetition.mp3

No tricks here -- all pitch bends and controller 11 envelopes.

SpacePirateCaine

Yes, compete! The Don is waiting for more theme music, and those who don't join can expect to find a hard drive with copious bad sectors on their pillows on January 18th. Great music so far with awesome interpretations of the theme. Keep 'em coming.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Flippy_D

Hah. Who are you trying to kid. MIDI can't stand up to that. There's no point.

Oz

Quote from: Rambutaan on Tue 11/01/2005 01:24:26
Wow! That was pretty amazing - it was so amazing, I can't be bothered embarassing myself in writing up a MIDI for this :D.

Thanks! I'm using Reason 2.5 (a standard MIDI-based sequencer) to compose my music. No tricks. ;)
Of course you should enter the compo, it's not about the quality of the samples, it's about the quality of the composition!
Diversity is divine!

SpacePirateCaine

Thank you, Oz.

As he said, I won't be basing my decision on what file format I recieve the song in, it's all about how well it fits the theme and actual quality as a song.

Gregjazz

Quote from: Oz on Sat 15/01/2005 13:20:43

Thanks! I'm using Reason 2.5 (a standard MIDI-based sequencer) to compose my music. No tricks. ;)
Of course you should enter the compo, it's not about the quality of the samples, it's about the quality of the composition!

So wait, that operatic voice thing is synthesized? At first I thought you were using loops and stuff. Good job!

Darcness

After hearing the great quality of music already submitted, I find myself wondering why I'm even bothering to enter this short 1:11 minute midi file. I wanted it to be longer, but I ran out of ideas.

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/mafiadon.mid

Free the Floopians, Our first commercial indie game.

Oz

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Sat 15/01/2005 20:59:00

So wait, that operatic voice thing is synthesized? At first I thought you were using loops and stuff. Good job!

Oh no, that's a pre-recorded sample alright. :)
What I meant by MIDI-based is that the sequencer works in the same way as a standard MIDI-sequencer, only you load samples (any sample, .wav, .aiff, .sf2) to "devices" instead of patches to MIDI tracks. I rarely (almost never) use loops. Everything in this composition is note-by-note, composed in a piano roll sequencer, except the vocals.
Diversity is divine!

Gregjazz

Quote from: Oz on Sun 16/01/2005 03:47:20
Quote from: Geoffkhan on Sat 15/01/2005 20:59:00

Oh no, that's a pre-recorded sample alright. :)
What I meant by MIDI-based is that the sequencer works in the same way as a standard MIDI-sequencer, only you load samples (any sample, .wav, .aiff, .sf2) to "devices" instead of patches to MIDI tracks. I rarely (almost never) use loops. Everything in this composition is note-by-note, composed in a piano roll sequencer, except the vocals.

Well, you did a wonderous job -- you even had ol' Greg confused! Can't wait to hear if EldKatt posts anything from his music bakery for this competition.

SpacePirateCaine

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it would appear that the music contest has come to a close. Three great entries, three neat interpretations of the theme I set forth.

Oz, as always your music is among the top class of composers on this board, your samples are top-quality and you have an amazing grasp of musical theory. You truly captured 'sinister' in this competition. The Don feels that this is a very necessary part of his image and congratulates you. He was heard to say, "This is what it sounds like when my temper has gotten the best of me. others would be well advised to listen for this music, and stand down when it starts playing."

GeoffKhan - a musician and a gentleman, in both body and song. Like Oz, you have the ubersamples, and your music is always top-notch. This more classical representation of our Don has pleased him much, as it portrays him as a fair and cultured man. He would like you to know that you're a good boy and would like to sit down with you and discuss a canneloni sometime. Working with you in the ATC is to be an awesome and eye-opening experience.

Darcness - This is the kind of music that I expect to hear for the Don in his every day dealings with his people - you have captured the Don's many sides in one piece. The piece may be in midi, but it serves its purpose well and because it is neutral enough to convey both his subtle power over people, while not being too fearsome.

You all made great music, and I'd like to start off with the cliche 'it was a really tough choice, and in my eyes, you're all winners' line. Still, I think that the song that Darcness provided was, though in midi, the closest to my original idea, which was consequentially made by listening to Torna a Surriento on Nick Stellino's (A PBS italian Chef who includes an italian music CD with one of his cookbooks) Glorious italian cooking CD.

People always seem to be under the impression that midi is inferior to the high-quality sound of the mp3s we get here. Admittedly it sounds a bit outdated, and if we were all lucky enough to have 300+ dollar music software, we wouldn't have to settle, but you have to work with what you have, and Darcness did the deed well.

Congrats, Darcness.

Gregjazz

Woohoo for Darcness!

I like it when songs are judged with attention on the actual composition rather than software/equipment (or samples, in this case).

I'm actually pretty thankful I didn't win this one because the next contest would've been just another thing on my mind -- not quite what I need in these busy times.

So congrats everyone!

Oz

Diversity is divine!

Darcness

I won? I'm totally speechless. Thank you so much for deeming my song worthy of the Don. With the quality of the other songs, I never even thought I had a chance!
Once again, thank you very much.

Free the Floopians, Our first commercial indie game.

SpacePirateCaine

No need for thanks, Darc, you made an entry to the contest that best fit the theme - just remember to be fair to all entries regardless of 'sound quality' when judging your contest.

Again, great music from all of you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk