Release Something (NOW)! - October 30, 2005

Started by Kinoko, Tue 27/09/2005 01:44:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

Sorry, I took it down to fix a rather largish bug. It's back up now :) Sorry!

Tom S. Fox

Haha! Will the dialogues stay as they are? They are so funny!  ;D

Kinoko

I did about 60% of them 5 minutes before uploading so... perhaps not. But... perhaps! I don't know.

Ishmael

How long will this be 'open'? I'd like to squeeze something in but it's not done yet :-\
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ponch

Well, I really wanted to Release Something, but my birthday was this weekend so I'm away with my sweetie and I forgot to put the tech demo on my laptop. So naturally, I can't upload it until I get home tomorrow.

Will this be open until Nov. 1 or will I have to wait for the next one?

Well, the only way I can salve my guilt about letting everyone down is to go and get in the sauna again. I'll be thinking of all of you while I soak, really.

- Ponch

scourge

hey kinoko, why doesn't your link have anything on, don't remove it yet please :) i wanna see the amazing gift of aldoraÃ,   ....

OH wait its working now, but whoopsie-doodle, why don't i have permission to download it, aint i special enough  :P

GT

Ok, here is the link to one of my first games I created. I didn't really create it for release something but it hasn't yet been released yet so I suppose this is the appropriate forum for it. Before you download this game I would like to say that I am only getting to grips with the basics of AGS and so this game is nothing more than one guy moving to one room to the next (There are only 6 scenes/rooms). Only download it to play if you really haven't anything else to do, otherwise it's not worth your time. To me it was an absolute triumph but in comparison to the rest of the games I've played, (even the really bad ones) I can probably say that this would probably rank as the worst one out of the lot! So don't say you haven't been warned how bad this game is! The object of the game is to get one object and give it to a beggar, but their are a few objects you can pick up (try not to click the eye arrow on any object you pick up, as this can sometimes crash the game). Well that's about all I can say about the game really except one interesting fact I haven't yet told you. The  character frames were first drawn by me in pencil and then scanned into my computer, I then used the windows programme "paint" to paint the frames, this shows how bad my drawing skills are. But I have to say that there is some humour in the game and the movement of the character is enough to make you laugh, (well it made me laugh after I created it). This game can be downloaded 25 times from now until the 6/11/05. Thanks 

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Q6BCFI1EJ7380WJ35HUI3YVQ0

Kinoko

I don't know why the link isn't working for you, there's nothing wrong with it. Works fine for me and everyone else.

Er... try again, maybe?

Nikolas

I can't download it either. I tried both explorer and Netscape but no good. Would it be possible ro upload it somewhere else? I would really like to see it. I've been waiting for this game!

Pretty please?

Kinoko

Nope, I don't mind! I don't know what the problem is though but I'll check it out when I get home.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You will find a new Mind's Eye demo for a limited time at the bottom of the first post.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=22689.new#new

Nikolas

Thanks Vince!

Kinoko, that's a very professional game. Well done...

sergiocornaga

Okay. For the game I mentioned briefly a while ago I've managed to hammer together a webpage and a few screenies. You can find the webpage right here.
You'll find a link for download there too.

Vince Twelve

Kinoko:

The pre-demo was really great.  As you warned, there were a few bugs here and there (it may have been my crappy laptop keyboard, but the diagonal-down movement wasn't working; the reporter spat out a random "H" at one point; and I managed to imbed myself in a wall once and had to restart), but you replicated the old-school feeling really well.  Very nice!  One thing bugs me about the old-school formula though.  Why make the A button the "run" button?  Why not make it the "walk" button.  Walking is painfully slow, so people will play 98% of the game holding the A button to run and only let go when they need to be very deliberate about where they're standing.  Why not let run be the default so we only have to play 2% of the game while holding down the A button?

Also, I thought the keyboard layout should be tweaked a bit...

Just my $0.02 USD.

The things that I loved:

-Using reporters to save.  (Will there be a random reporter standing at the entrance to Evil Boss' lair trying to get the scoop on the final battle?)

-Singing to the plant.

-Everything.

edmundito

Um, I'm releasing something else...

A DEMO FOR RON MOVIES, INCLUDING A MOVIE MADE BY ME!

I'd  like to thank Grundislav for correcting the foreign language used in the movie,  Petteri for improving the theme used in the movie loading screen (one that some of you may recognize ;)), and specially Scotch for helping me understand plugin writing for AGS 2.7 and beyond.

Also, the editor that you saw earlier has been turned off, it's just too buggy... you could attempt to write your own movie, but it wouldn't be as easy! So, enjoy!

PS- You may wonder why it's called Coppola... that's the uh, the name I gave it for version 1.0, named after famous director Francis Ford Coppola.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Ubel

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Tue 01/11/2005 05:03:01
Why make the A button the "run" button? Ã, Why not make it the "walk" button. Ã, Walking is painfully slow, so people will play 98% of the game holding the A button to run and only let go when they need to be very deliberate about where they're standing. Ã, Why not let run be the default so we only have to play 2% of the game while holding down the A button?

Or better yet, make a setup option somewhere in the menu GUI where you can decide wether you use A for running or walking.

Very impressive job Kinoko! I really can't wait for this to be finished!

Kinoko

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Tue 01/11/2005 05:03:01
As you warned, there were a few bugs here and there (it may have been my crappy laptop keyboard, but the diagonal-down movement wasn't working;

Ah, this is almost certainly to do with the key combination and your particular keyboard. Some keyboards can't take certain combinations of keys. Up-left never worked on my computer back home but it's fine on my lap top. This is partly why you have the option to change the keys using the TAB button (or before you start a game).

Quotethe reporter spat out a random "H" at one point; and I managed to imbed myself in a wall once and had to restart), but you replicated the old-school feeling really well.
Ã, 

Ah yeah, some things I forgot to shoddily patch up before zipping the game up. Whoops!

QuoteVery nice!Ã,  One thing bugs me about the old-school formula though.Ã,  Why make the A button the "run" button?Ã,  Why not make it the "walk" button.Ã,  Walking is painfully slow, so people will play 98% of the game holding the A button to run and only let go when they need to be very deliberate about where they're standing.Ã,  Why not let run be the default so we only have to play 2% of the game while holding down the A button?

I see your point, and I agree... but in the spirit of not trying anything new, I'm gonna keep it like the old school games and have you hold the button down all the time to run. I don't know, I kinda like always having a button pressed down. Makes me feel like I'm always working :P

QuoteAlso, I thought the keyboard layout should be tweaked a bit...
How so? I mean... you can already set your own keys... do you mean the default should be changed or you should be able to change something you currently can't?

Quote-Using reporters to save.Ã,  (Will there be a random reporter standing at the entrance to Evil Boss' lair trying to get the scoop on the final battle?)

Uhhh... you'll see ^_^ But yes, he will be popping up somewhat frequently.

Thanks for that!! It's so nice to get some feedback... ANYTHING is welcome by anyone.

edmundito

Quote from: Kinoko on Tue 01/11/2005 05:38:24
QuoteAlso, I thought the keyboard layout should be tweaked a bit...
How so? I mean... you can already set your own keys... do you mean the default should be changed or you should be able to change something you currently can't?

I thought it was funny that you mentioned that you didn't even know what the C key was for... almost like showing that the control scheme is kind of hard to remember... I think it should be more straight forward, where you can move the characters with the arrow keys or WASD, and then have space, tab, enter, ctrl, and alt mean something....
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Vince Twelve

Ah, I didn't know that you could change the keys.  How do you do that?  Or is it not in this version?

Quote from: Pablo on Tue 01/11/2005 05:28:16Or better yet, make a setup option somewhere in the menu GUI where you can decide wether you use A for running or walking.
Ding!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk