September MAGS

Started by Klaus, Wed 01/09/2004 07:56:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme - Fantasy

Many adventure games are set on Earth, be it in the city, the countryside or a high-tech supercity. This month though, the games will be set in a fantasy world, an entirely different place with few similarities to the world as we know it.

There are many different ways you could approach this - you could go for the medieval Zelda-ish world with strange monsters and colourful personalities, elven kings and an endangered princess. Or maybe you could go for a Discworld-style game featuring strange characters with even stranger livings. You could mix the two ideas together or make a totally new approach.

Inventory items (at least two, plus any of your choice):
- A dragon's egg
- A magic potion
- A feather
- A fake crown
- An apple
- A chalice
- A crystal ball
- An anvil
- An arrow (the type used in bows)

Colour depth: Any
Resolution: Any

Remember that although it is a fantasy setting, you should try to keep everything believable (it's fine to make a huge dragon as it could exist, but a stick that explodes without a reason is just silly). Other than that, just use this opportunity to make a fun, creative game. It'd be great to see some original ideas coming about.

---------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in on Septemper 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Ishmael

Nice rules, seems like I could make it, if I get past a few techincal issues, and somehow get to upload my game... :)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

mousemat

i am making one now.
is it ok if you just collect the items without an inventory coz my inventory wont work.
i can still give items to people by nswitching on and of interactions.
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

CodeJunkie

You don't have to have an inventory I suppose, but if you carry more than one or two items at a time it might be best to have some sort of way of showing them.  You can always post on one of the Tech boards if you're stuck.

mousemat

i have posted it but nobody knows the answer to my problem
Oh yer moon walkin'

Sinitrena

Hey, great  rules. I like fantasy. I will think off a story and enter this month, I think (If I have time). Actually, if I had won two months ago when I entered first, the rules would have been similar to the rules this month. ;)

Minimi

aaah, sorry I just have to reply! I get the good old Puddy Penguin memories back when I see the thread September MAGS! Time go's waaaay too fast, dudes! It's already a year ago! tsss.....

Sam.

mouse, where did you post about your problem. all i can find is one about not being able to save which cj tried to help but you never replied.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Gord10

I want to join, too. Can we join the comp. with a RPG which we had been working on for 2 weeks? (but releasing the game about 2 weeks before September 27th)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

mousemat

Quote from: Zootyfruit on Wed 01/09/2004 16:30:43
mouse, where did you post about your problem. all i can find is one about not being able to save which cj tried to help but you never replied.

someone is fixing it ..and i have never posted anything on saving ???
Oh yer moon walkin'

Klaus

Quote from: CoolBlue-Gord10 on Thu 02/09/2004 05:27:37
I want to join, too. Can we join the comp. with a RPG which we had been working on for 2 weeks? (but releasing the game about 2 weeks before September 27th)

Difficult ...
Barbarian asked something similar for August MAGS. Here's my reply. If you feel comfortable when entering it's no problem at all (as you take the same time span and might adjust some things to fit the rules I'd say it actually is possible).

Ishmael

AH! A year ago I entered my first MAGS, with MRC, on which I had started working maybe 31st of August, and when I noticed the MAGS thead I just fitted the story into the plot and made the game... nostalgy indeed, It's a year ago, and a lot has changed ::)

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Gord10

Quote from: Klaus on Thu 02/09/2004 07:41:25
Difficult ...
Barbarian asked something similar for August MAGS. Here's my reply. If you feel comfortable when entering it's no problem at all (as you take the same time span and might adjust some things to fit the rules I'd say it actually is possible).
Yes, actually the game I'm working on was for another 1 month game competition in my country. I've started the game on the 19th of August, and the last day is the 12th of September for that comp. I hope there won't be a problem if I release the game in the middle of September. (For sure I'll adjust the game to fit the rules.) 
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Pelican

I think I'll have a bash at this one. I haven't made a game yet, so this would be a good opportunity to test my skills. Though I must admit my artwork leaves something to be desired...

Minor question though - as this is my first game, can I put it up for C&C, and get some feedback before submitting it? This seems like it would come under 'getting help', but I just want to check this doesn't violate any rules.

Ishmael

I've been devlopping two stories based on pure fantasy, neither of which are in the art stage yet, so I'll be in, if I get to make the artwork, finish the plot, and put the game up in AGS... EARGH, I'm into this again, like so may months in the past...

Mats Berglinn

Very interesting rules but I'm not sure if I can be in this competition this month because I'm in a Writer's Course a bit away from my home.
Maybe I will be in it... or maybe not.

About the beliveble  rule:  Is it ok to use magic of anykind or is it limited too?

CodeJunkie

I think magic would be fine as it's a sort of accepted part of the fantasy genre.  Of course, not all fantasy games have to have magic in them, and the idea of where magic comes from can vary from game to game.  Magic is okay though, and there probably aren't many opportunities in the MAGS competitions to include it.

mousemat

i am nearly finished already
Oh yer moon walkin'

Gord10

Hello,
I've finished a big part of the game. It is going to be released on 13th or 14th of the month if any problem doesn't occur. So I will have finished the game in a time span shorter than a month. I hope it's accepted.   
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

AGS-GD

Hi,

Count me in; I'll start working on my entry. I'll split the work into phases so that if I didn't finish in time I'll be able to post the phase/part that I have finished by the deadline.

This is my first time making a game -of any length- in AGS, I hope my time/resource management skills are as good as they should  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk