The Sprite Jam! 9/11/2004 - 9/18/2004

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Sat 11/09/2004 21:12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the Sprite Jam. I'm SpacePirateCaine, and I'll be your host for this week. The theme for the jam this time around will be:

Hobbies of Mythological Characters

What that means, put simply, is a sprite depicting a mythological character: be it Hercules, The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse, Odin or Hastur, the King in Yellow spending a little time off, maybe playing a sport or just relaxing with a good book. We know what they do when they're out being famous, but how about when they have a little time to themselves? Cthulu in a smoking jacket with a monocle reading the Sunday newspaper? You never know.

Size: Anything under 300x300.
Color Depth: 256 colors.

Good luck, all, and I look forward to seeing the entries this time around.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Edwin Xie

I have a quick entry (but in 256 color bitmap, still it looks like the 24 bit one so I will post it in link, not as images to this forum). http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/ogrefirsthalfbmp256.bmp

But, uh, I don't remember which story this ogre came from, cane someone remind me what story this is from?.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Ozwalled

Hm. Not sure how that last one reflects a hobby exactly, but here's my entry.

(or the color version, which I'm not nearly as fond of)

EDIT: It's so sad that the game Nessie is playing looks better than anything I've ever made...  :-[

EDIT: Just realized that I posted the non-256 colour version of the colour picture. Disregard it and consider the black and white version my entry.

Mephistophilis

Your Ogre looks like a Cyclops, but what's his hobby?
The Cyclops were a race of guys who lived on Sicily in the Oddesey, How do you spell that?
Oddsey, and the confusing Bastards named the main guy Oddeseus? Oddyeseus?
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

Cluey

Aramore
My webcomic.

Mr_Frisby

Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

Gilbert

Well, technically it's a sprite painting a sprite of a sprite in her leisure time.

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Elianto

my envy says that the sprite legs have different lenght  ;D

PS: someone has to delete Gilbot account....

Edwin Xie

Quote from: Mephistophilis on Sun 12/09/2004 12:33:33
Your Ogre looks like a Cyclops, but what's his hobby?
The Cyclops were a race of guys who lived on Sicily in the Oddesey, How do you spell that?
Oddsey, and the confusing Bastards named the main guy Oddeseus? Oddyeseus?

Yeah, you got it right. Thanks for reminding me. And I think his hobby is uh, working out? Staying there reflexing his arm muscles; apparently, he does not work his abs much. ;D
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Pesty

Death takes ballet classes at the local art center and he's not ashamed of it. Seriously, are you going to make fun of him for it?
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Haddas

HAHAHAHAHA! Death takes ballet classes! That's funny! You made my day Pesty!

Paper Carnival

I bet Pesty won't be alive to post tomorrow

Escargot

Pesty

Quote from: Guybrush Peepwood on Sat 18/09/2004 19:46:37
I bet Pesty won't be alive to post tomorrow

Don't get me wrong. I'm not making fun of Death, far from it. If he wants to do ballet, more power to him.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Mr_Frisby

Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

Edwin Xie

I think Death is going to get Haddas for making fun of him for doing ballet. Anyway, I agree with Pesty, nobody should make fun of him for doing ballet because of.....you know what I am talking about.

EDIT: Oh yeah, today's (or tomorrow's) the day he pick's who won the contest.

SpacePirateCaine

Apologies for the late response, I was on a plane to Japan, and now that I've finally arrived, and sorted out the internet connectivity problems since arriving, I find that there have been two more entries while I was away. I see why everyone always mentions how tough a choice it is to choose a winner for the Sprite Jam. However, the one that struck me the most as being perfect for 'hobbies of a mythological character/creature" was the topiary-gardening Minotaur. So congratulations:

Escargot, you are the winner.

All of the sprites were amazing, though. I want an animated bowling ganesh on my desktop.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Escargot

Wow. You caught me off guard. I thought for sure Gilbot would win this one. And Frisby's Ganesh has something very charming about it. How about that animation? :)

This was not only my first sprite jam, but also my very first post...
Thanks you all!

I shall presently come up with an idea for the next round.

Cluey

Congrats, and WELCOME TO THE BOAARD!!!
Aramore
My webcomic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk