6 Days a Sacrifice

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 25/01/2007 08:00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Quote from: Akatosh on Sat 27/01/2007 10:40:50
Spoiler

* John DeFoe is dead now. Really. This time seriously. Totally.
* Chzo has a new servant. And Trilby.
* There now is something like the "caretaker" enforcing destiny's will.
* The realms are, again, seperated and it doesn't look like there will be another bridge soon.
[close]

Spoiler
Don't forget that you killed the Trilby inside of Chzo as Malcolm Somerset/the caretaker (and used his soul to revive Trilby at the end of TN). So Chzo doesn't get him "in the end", only for a while.

Chzo's plan, on the whole, strikes me as seriously crappy. If he never wanted to enter the realm of technology at all, then the entire plot must have been just an effort to replace The Tall Man as Prince. Why? You'd rather have a crippled building inspector than a kick-ass druid as your servant? Besides, in Cadabath's case there was a good reason why he became The Prince. What did Dacabe do? Nothing! He just wore a silly outfit and tried to keep a bomb from exploding. If Chzo can make anyone who enters his realm his servant, wouldn't Trilby have been a better choice?

Also, everything The Caretaker did seemed in the end to help Chzo's plan come to pass. WTF? Now granted that as evil plots go, this one didn't turn out too bad, but was it really that important to ensure things happened the way they were destined to? What would have been the problem if that bomb hadn't gone off? John DeFoe?
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Snarky, as regards the caretaker,

Spoiler
his very creation relies on a loop of destiny, as it were. Even if he didn't choose to make sure things happened as they were destined "just because", then here's another more believable reason - if he didn't make sure it happened as it was supposed to, the loop would probably break. What would happen to him, then?
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Akatosh

Taking everything into regard...
Spoiler

The caretaker did not make Chzo's plan a success on the whole. And that doesn't make sense - I mean, he helps Chzo getting his... erm, helps Chzo to get Trilby, but then takes him away again after some time?

And I guess John DeFoe would have been a major problem. There was only one Trilby left, and I think that one could never have stopped John DeFoe from actually rising again. Remember, his mind and desire to kill were left. He would have probably corrupted and killed the whole city above him.

What did Dacabe do... well, he survived the attacks of The Tall Man. Doesn't that show he's better than that guy?
[close]

Snarky

Rui,
Spoiler
Well, according to himself, Somerset would still have killed his dad, but would have got away with it (because there would have been no coffin floating in space because Trilby would have died at the end of TN), and wouldn't have had to live through 7DAS. Doesn't sound so bad to me. All he ever wanted to do was be a ship shrink, anyway.

(More likely, as the caretaker he was just lying to his earlier self, and he would have been caught, since the police were already on to him. So: jail. Still, probably a better deal than 7DAS followed by a padded cell, suicide, and being a slave to destiny.)
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Snarky, good points. Guess we'll just have to make to with "the universe would explode if there was a paradox like him not doing what he did before". :=

Kneel. Now.

TheCheese33

Spoiler
I think the reason Trilby wasn't chosen as the new servant was because Trilby must've pissed off Czho a whole lot. Besides, he needs copies of Trilbies in order to survive. Don't you think something messed up might happen if there was an evil Trilby and many good ones?
[close]

Actually, I really do think the "time paradox world explody" thing is much more simpler, so I'll go with that. ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

horace

Mood was very good as usual. Experience shines through. But it was not as fun, or as captivating as the previous games. I can't really call it a game too, more like an interactive movie.

I'm disappointed, only because of great expectations.

qwert

Lucky

Spoiler
I suppose we can never expect to find out the reason Chzo replaced Cabadath. Didn't the Caretaker say something about Theo just being a pawn in a game too complicated for them to understand? Chzo clearly had some reason to do so, on a much larger scale.

And Somerset probably didn't want to get to space bad enough to kill his own father. As seen in the Countdown-episodes. The Caretaker can quite effectively make people want to do whatever he orders.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Lucky, re replacement: I hope not. That would mean the whole series is the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen. :P I want closure from 6DS, not the mother of all cliffhangers.

Kneel. Now.

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

TheCheese33

No, there's not going to be another one; Yahtzee said so himself that this was the last game in the DeFoe story line. But we all know what happened last time, when he said he was retiring from adventure games.  ;D
need...More...WOUND!

Hammerite

i hope he does go back to doing serious and atmospheric adventure games at some point.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Akatosh

Yeah, that "Days" series was just to flat and light-hearted...  :=

But still, I'm curious why he left the forums in first place. Did they insult him or what?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

The story is in the wiki. That's ANOTHER topic that always comes up on his games' threads. :)

Kneel. Now.

m0ds

QuoteBut still, I'm curious why he left the forums in first place. Did they insult him or what?

I don't know the truth but I do know from experience, people at these forums are more likely to bash than they are congratulate. And that sucks. If there's one place an AGS developer wants to receive good comments are these forums, and it's always 50/50. Plus, regulars seem to "disappear" when a decent game comes out. When we released the FoY demo I heard comments from 99% people I've never heard of and 1% people I do know of. Personally I wanted it the other way round. Someone like Yahtzee can get more praise in other places, so what's the point in hanging out here?

enkerro

Well, this game was ok, not mind-blowing but ok nonetheless.

7 Days is still the best in the series. :)

Stupot

7 Days is my least favourite of the four... although it's gone up in my esteem now that I know how it fits in with the mythology.
My ranking of the quartet is this:
1. 5 Days
2. Trilby's Notes
3. 6 Days
4. 7 Days

I'm glad we have a kind of cliffhanger of sorts, but I think Yahtzee should leave the series alone now, at least for the moment.  and work on new projects.  Although I still think he should write a screenplay for Trilby and tout it round the film companies... He could make millions.

TheCheese33

What I heard is that Yahtzee felt he became too egotistical, because he was making comments on the forums no one was very happy about. He decided to leave so he wouldn't upset anyone. Although, I've also heard he sometimes appears on the forums under a different alias...
need...More...WOUND!

InCreator

I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was quite alright.

I totally don't get the story, and with billion times same cult-murder-curse thing happening in adventure games, I don't care to spend more headache on it. Not my type of thing, I guess.

But the game itself is quite good, although it's very short and plays out like an interactive cartoon.
The quality of everything is definetly higher than previous series. And Yathzee is always at his best when it comes to creating an atmosphere, no disappointment here neither.

I think that Croshaw can write a good story, but he overdoes it.
Isn't simplicity the genius?

**erases  game and gets back to Ben-Jordan-sequel waiting mode
I simply like Grundislav's works more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk