6 Days a Sacrifice

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 25/01/2007 08:00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

It would be good if Yahtzee came back, cos it'd be interesting to see how he would reply to posts like Increators :P

Akatosh

"People like you know how to suck out the fun of everything. I'd really like to keep this going, but with such persons everywhere, I can't really see why I should. If you need me, I'm over at fullyramblomatic.com. See you", probably?  :=

(I bet 10 bucks he decides to come back, reads this post and then writes a rant about what a moron I am)

SSH

Babar

Your on. When is the deadline for this bet?

Just for my clarification, here is a narratorially (is that a word?) sequential list of what I percieve to have happened (correct me if I'm wrong):

Spoiler

*There is this great pain-master Chzo.
*Druid type priest guy tries summoning Chzo, only to become his slave as the Tall Man, who goes around killing things in all the following points.
*His house/his friend/someone (I forgot this part) gets turned into a tree
*Various things happen with the wood of this tree, some involving an inn, but most importantly, it gets carved into an idol on a ship on it's way to...somewhere
*The idol ends up in a house, where a man beats to death his son with it, causing him to turn into what is popularly known as "The Welder".
*Trilby comes around to the house, gets trapped, but escapes, to burn down the house, and send the idol into space
*Trilby joins up a secret government agency, and is involved in an incident at the Clanbrwn(sp?) hotel, where he faces off (partially) the Tall Man and almost dies (or does he?). I'm a little fuzzy at this point.
*Some years later a building inspector is called to investigate some odd happenings at a Optimology building. He is trapped and despite his best efforts becomes a servant to Chzo in place of the Tall Man.
*Many many years later, the son of a psychiatrist kills his father so as to be able to join up a spaceship. This spaceship intercepts a coffin sent out by Trilby and bloody murder insues.
*Somerset destroys the idol and the spirit connected to it(Is this DeFoe at this point? Or building inspector transformed?) but is caught and condemned for the murders that occured.
*At a mental asylum, Somerset kills himself with a special knife, allowing him to become a "guide" spirit thing, which can then move around in time and space with ease.
[close]

I really don't have a favourite, the whole 'genre' being one that I'm not too fond of, but it's interesting to note that the first two are more easily remembered by me than Trilby's Notes and 6DaS.

EDIT: Damn you SSH! You have out-timed me! We shall meet again, and that time I will prevail!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Akatosh

Let's just say you two gambled! I'm out of it and, um, over there. Waaay over there.

Spoiler

And the soul bond to the idol still was/is/will be John DeFoe's.
[close]

InCreator

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 29/01/2007 12:02:33
It would be good if Yahtzee came back, cos it'd be interesting to see how he would reply to posts like Increators :P

Why should he answer my post? I didn't say the game's bad, but that I simply don't admire the story much and it isn't anything revolutionary neither.
Also, it's an over-average computer game, but he didn't cure cancer or something so everyone should join the cheering masses.

m0ds

It was a joke, therefore, no long reply for you.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Babar, your timeline is almost correct.

Spoiler
Cabadath the druid's soul (or something) is put inside the large tree that grows where his house was. It's not until the tree is felled that he starts, as the Tall Man, killing whoever hurt the wood - which was now his flesh.

Trilby doesn't send the idol to space immediately, only after Trilby's Notes.

You forgot to say that, apparently, the caretaker himself goaded Somerset into killing his father.

You left out the events in the Countdown trilogy, but they just describe the path of Frehorn's Blade.
[close]

It's a rather stripped down version of events, but chronologically it's absolutely perfect. Apart from the Trilby thing I just mentioned.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

TheCheese33

It'd be cool if someone wrote down everything that happened in the series...not just a summary. That way, we could make it like a novel. I think it would be cool if someone made an illustrated novel. It would be a lot scarier that way.

EDIT: Also, I've been hearing some things of this game being like an interactive movie. How so?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

InCreator

Quote from: TheCheese33 on Mon 29/01/2007 21:37:32
EDIT: Also, I've been hearing some things of this game being like an interactive movie. How so?

Well, compared to previous games of the series, there's very little of actual "game" in it. You mostly click yourself from cutscene to cutscene. Also, most of the puzzles consist only going here or there and picking something up.

TheCheese33

Just finished the game. I don't get why people didn't like it; the game was great! To the person who said they didn't get the pictures in the end, you have to play through the other games to understand them.

Spoiler
I thought it all made sense...the story was absolutely brilliant as a 4-game trilogy (though the Trilby's Notes game seems more like one of those spin-offs than part of the DAS series. How the psychaitrist became the caretaker, how the dude in this game became the welder, and how Trilby became destined to relive John DeFoe for eternity. I am curious, though; does this mean the dude in this game was the one from 5DAS and 7DAS? And it seems ironic that the caretaker helped the dude become the protecter of DeFoe's soul in 7DAS, and eventually became the dude's killer. And what of Chzo? Will he be killed by the real God, or was Chzo destroyed at the end of 7DAS?
[close]

Anyway, now that the storyline has ended, will Yahtzee retire from games again, or will he make a new game? I hope he goes back to comedy, too; something has to light me up from this serious game. ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

osaris

Just completed the game.
I thought it was fantastic and loved the story. The very first ags game i played, nearly two years ago now, was 5 days a stranger and 6DAS concluded things perfectly.
Ben Croshaw should be very proud of his series. I know i would be.

Lucky

Quote from: TheCheese33 on Tue 30/01/2007 00:49:32To the person who said they didn't get the pictures in the end, you have to play through the other games to understand them.

Spoiler
I suppose you could explain me the guy with the light and Trilby in the white room then.
[close]

Leonard LePage

Quote from: Lucky on Tue 30/01/2007 06:22:43
Quote from: TheCheese33 on Tue 30/01/2007 00:49:32To the person who said they didn't get the pictures in the end, you have to play through the other games to understand them.

Spoiler
I suppose you could explain me the guy with the light and Trilby in the white room then.
[close]

I suppose that I can explain this to you.
Spoiler
The scene is from 5 Days a Stranger when trilby finds AJ's body at the bottom of the pool.
[close]

Lucky

Stranger, I thank thee for making me look and feel dumb.

voh

Instead of playing this, I played all the games in order before starting it, to refresh my memory. I have to say the story is exquisite, though still confusing.

I loved the Book of Chzo. It's written in exactly the way a religious document should be written, and it explains everything perfectly.

It was shorted and easier than 5DAS AND 7DAS, but it was better in production value and freakout value. Of course, I wasn't freaked out, but I got the chills twice. 7 days a stranger made waaaayyyy more sense after this, and it was obvious Trilby's Notes was really important in getting what the whole thing was about. 5DAS was actually the least important, as it was referenced in clear terms, and what happened then was repeated throughout the other games.

Ranked on awesomeness, I present you my list:
- 6DAS
- Trilby's Notes
- 7DAS
- 5DAS

Yes, I do think the games got better and better. At the very least in that the farther the development of the series went, the story was fleshed out and a specific plotline was decided on. 5DAS was the intro, the pilot, with an ambiguous plot, and 7DAS seemed to randomly be tied in to it. Trilby's Notes put that all toghether, and 6DAS finished it.

Playing these games also made me want to play Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment again, which I finished in one sitting of 5 hours. Though, I do agree most of that time was spent smuggling armaments from Remus 6 to Frumious Prime, and kicking police butt along the way. I'm such a pirate sometimes.
Still here.

Sinitrena

The game was interessting, like all of Yahtzees games. It was well made and atmospheric (sp), but I didn't like it anyway. I neither liked Trilby's Notes as much as 5DAS and 7DAS. In my opinion the story just went too confusing with Trilby's Notes and 6DAS didn't exactly help to explain everything.

I prefer serous games and so I don't think Yahtzee should make funny games again. What I really would like to see are more games with Trilby in them. They could take place before 5DAS so that they are not part of this series. That would be great. I just love the Trilby character  :D

Das Plans

Wow, what a great game. Thanks, for creating this awsome series!

The only thing I didn't get: what was so special about this building inspector to become the new ... thing? However - great atmosphere. I really enjoyed this game. And certainly not for the last time.

Thanks a lot!

Gamer_V

Quote from: Das Plans on Tue 30/01/2007 19:41:30
Wow, what a great game. Thanks, for creating this awsome series!

The only thing I didn't get: what was so special about this building inspector to become the new ... thing? However - great atmosphere. I really enjoyed this game. And certainly not for the last time.

Thanks a lot!
Spoiler
I don't think he was at first. But when he entered the building, he suffered the three agonies or something. (You know, falling down a shaft, losing his 'love') In the end, that made him a good source of pain. Or something. Not very sure. :P
[close]

Akatosh

Spoiler

The cultists would have been a way better source. The inspector didn't even kill his own love - it was killed, that's everything. He did suffer the pain of the body and the mind, but I guess the cultists did far worse things to themselves every meeting. No idea why he needed the inspector. To protect Chzo from the along-coming Trilby? Why did he need Trilby, anyway? And couldn't The Tall Man have done better?
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk