VEGETABLE PATCH EXTREEM TURBO 2

Started by Captain Mostly, Tue 24/06/2003 11:39:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Mostly

This game is still a little rough round the edges (a few animations may not work, the help-tutorial is not yet present, and some balancing may need to be done) But because my computer and I are going to be seperated for a while (I know not how long) and it's pretty much playable already, the sequil to my magnum opus is here RESPLENDANT in all-new art-work for which I must thank Squinky!!!

SQUINKY DID ALL THE ART AND IT'S COOL!!!!

download it here:
www.sylpher.com/vegetablegames/VPXT2.zip

Fuzzpilz

"Unable to load game (error: file not found)"

The missing file seems to be the agssave.030.

Captain Mostly

should still run though! This was a problem I couldn't get around (I wanted to have the cut scene play as soon as you load the game first-time)... I'll be able to fix it in a later version...

just click to get rid of the error, it ought not to show the second time you play...

Squinky

Holy crap, the new system you set this up with rocks...and now that I see what you were dpoing with all the art I made, I am impressed. The cutscene I've seen so far fits really damn well with the whole mood of your game. And the music fits well too...

This is a must download people...

Vel

Holy crap! This is very cool! But how do I advance to the next chapter?

Fuzzpilz

Ah yes, it does run. It's pretty hard, though, so I haven't even tried normal mode yet.

SSH

It's utterly hard, but very cool. I keep panicing and picking inert things. Darn!

I could get Lumptatos on the first one, but this one I only got Tuplecress and peacreeper.

What the heck is Juju, by the way?

SSH

Quote from: Captain Mostly on Tue 24/06/2003 12:28:10
should still run though! This was a problem I couldn't get around (I wanted to have the cut scene play as soon as you load the game first-time)... I'll be able to fix it in a later version...

just click to get rid of the error, it ought not to show the second time you play...

GetSaveSlotDescription (int slot, string buffer)

Gets the text description of save game slot SLOT into the provided BUFFER. If the slot number provided does not exist this function returns 0, if successful it returns 1.

EDIT: oops, sorry for the double post!

cornjob

Wow, you're like a genius or something! I mean, the timing and music add that missing element that I think is a great improvement over the original. Because you don't have to think about pressing the "next day" button. I haven't been able to get past chapter one, but the idea of having cutscenes is also genius. Also, Squinky's art is very nice, very appealing.

Captain Mostly

many thanks to all of you!

The chapters are meant to take you a little while to beat (indeed, only really hardcore players ought to be able to unlock all the vegetables)

There SHOULD be an explanation of how to go up chapters in the readme file...

I DO want everyone to keep in mind that this is only a beta version, and there will be balancing issues (and possible bugs) that I'll have to fix...

Even so, thanks to everyone who's said nice things! (and thanks for the code hint!)

Bob The Hun

I finally got to chapter 2!
This is hard, but it's good (and challenging for those who finally got bored after mastering VPXT 1)
By the way, the practice mode is almost harder than the normal mode due to the lack of timer and fast-forward button (so I've had to do all my practicing on normal mode)
If those are implemented, though, the game would be absolutely perfect.
It's already one of the best games out there, though.

Captain Mostly

I know! the practace mode is horrible! This is one of the things I REALLY didn't want to release the game with.

As I've said, there are a umber of things that I desperatly wanted to fix befor releasing this game, but I couldn't (otherwise the game would be months and months late!)

I'm glad someone's beaten chapter 1! I was really concerned that people would give up before they managed even that! Chapter 2 is even more tricky though!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

I WOULD like to remind people that even though this is a Beta version of the game, PLEASE play it. It will be AGES before I can get a totally cleaned up version released, but the current version is ENTIRLY playable and I DESPERATLY crave your feedback (on issues like balance of point-awarding etc)...

the more (reasonable) observations you make, the fewer updates I'll have to make, and I don't want to be making an update every other day like I did for VPXT 1 again!

That said: get comfortable with the first game before moving on to this one. VPXT2 is a LOT less forgiving!

Vel

Have you passed all the chapters yourself?

Captain Mostly

it's REALLY easy when you know how... I'm afraid I've got all the cross polinations lazer-burned into my face from programming the thing! This is another reason it's good to get an idea of how long everyone else takes to do it.

TRUST me though, for you points junkies, the later vegetables make beating the chapters way more than worth while...

oh, hang on... ACTUALLY I've not been able to up-load the version with all the re-calebrated and re-balanced point allocations, so in fact the higher up plants aren't as tasty as you'd like... although it's still well worth doing for the sence of satisfaction you'll recieve when you reach FREE PLAY and the glory of the Flytato and Flycumber!!!!

Vel

Captain Mostly

you're gonna have to speak more sence than that if I'm to tell you where you're going wrong...    ;)

Matt Brown

I am horrible at this game, but Im hooked. I figured once I started taking notes on what to breed with what, I'm doing better. but Ive only got 2 of the 3 plants I need in the first chapter. this game is nuts!
word up

Captain Mostly

my mum keeps a kryptic post-it-note next to the computer with such things as "p.creep -> Pot Cab" written on it... It SEEMS to be helping, but she still complains of it being confusing (although this isn't ENTIRLY my fault, as her notes are more than a little inconsistant)...

Captain Mostly

Dear everyone who's played this,

I'd like to ask those of you who downloaded and played this if the music in the game matched up... that is:

were there gaps between each section of the music in the main and practace games? This is to do with people playing it on slow computers (no offence) and I wondered how much of my lovely audience were affected (and if I need to do anything about it).

please let me know!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk