Ben Jordan Case 6: Scourge of the Sea People *Bug Fixed*

Started by Grundislav, Thu 30/08/2007 04:43:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie

Wonderful game,,,,,, Thank you..... I have not come back to this forum for quite awhile now because so many of the games were not Ben Jordan games, or games like Wretched (Bog) use to make...... Glad I did come back to see you had made another one,  I really enjoy Jordan games............Made my day..........Please keep on making them, you are so good at it......

InCreator

I'm having this weird urge to make a fangame...
would it be okay?

motukutonga

game has good strengths and some plot/puzzle weirdness

Spoiler
when i scooped a cup of seawater, i tried to use it on the oracle statue and i got a hint from ben.  so i go back to the beach and enter the cabin, clicking the seawater on the bathroom door wanting to fill it with fresh water.  only one way to get the right result, that's using the machine on the boat. game is too linear
[close]

Spoiler
also, how come after he dives under and learns about seapeople, he doesn't go back to the oracle and see if she's been tricking them all?  if she's all knowing and not a trickster, then what reason does she have to lead ben on to believe that the sea people are bad? if she is all knowing and is a trickster, then why reveal anything about sea people, knowing that ben is the person who will communicate with them when given a chance?
[close]

Spoiler
only one sea-monster?  according to the myth in the story, there were a lot of them.  what point is there to celebrate if there could be more monsters and while the oracle remains unquestioned?  also ben didn't do very much in the way of warning other campgoers of their doom.  at least invite them inside the cabin!  i didn't understand the rock/seaweed stuff, but glad there was a minotaur included
[close]

Grundislav

InCreator: Go ahead, if you want.  Just be nice to the characters, please.  :)

motukutonga:
Spoiler
The Oracle wasn't a trickster, she just wasn't "all-knowing" as you put it.  She just knew about stuff on land, like everyone else.  Also, the King of the Sea People makes it clear that the monster is the last of its kind.
[close]

Here are a few fun things to try that you may have missed the first time around:

Spoiler
Did you try talking to the campers at night?

Did you try going into the campsite after seeing Alice go with Vaggelis?

How about going back and answering different things when talking to Professor Sanbourne?
[close]

Dualnames

Hehe. Awesome game. I loved that you used the Politecnio part. Everybody hates going to the centre of Athens that day. Good job. Paixnidia Grundislav. You've put a lot of effort on this  one.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Anym

A very nice game! Better than part 5, but not as good as part 4 IMHO. The puzzles were all fitting and logical, although almost too easy and too linear. No alternative solutions, few items with more than one use, few things you could do in parallel and hardly any red herrings, which I, perhaps unfairly, found all the more noticeable because of the high quality of the rest of the game.
Spoiler
For example, not being able to get fresh water anywhere except by distilling it yourself or not being to take the mirror off the wall again once you've placed it there.
[close]
I never found the walking speed too slow or too annoying, which might be related to the above point, as I never found myself walking around aimlessly not knowing what to do. I really did enjoy the animations and the audio.

I'm not sure how I feel about the storyline, both of this game in particular, which seemed a bit less exciting than what we've seen before, although the game can hardly be blamed for not surpassing every other title in an altogether great series, and, besides, my memory might be a bit off, and of the series in general at this point, which really might be up to something cool. I don't have any theories at this point and I guess I should replay all the cases to form a clearer opinion on that. I have to admit that I'm a bit worried that too much foreshadowing might spoil a twist or two.
Spoiler
Betrayal by someone close? Doesn't leave that many options (at first glance). I hope it will still be a surprise when we see it happen.
[close]
Something that might be a mistake, but not being a native speaker I can't be sure (emphasis added):
Spoiler
When trying to talk to the woman standing by the exit of the airport for the first time, the game tells you: "The woman shrugs and shakes her head. She must not speak English."
[close]

Somehow, I always seem to emphasize minor gripes, rather than the stuff that I liked, sorry for that and please don't get me wrong. It's a very nice game, I really enjoyed it while it lasted and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. 8)
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Global Lint

Wow, I'm stuck.  I haven't met up with the Professor at 8 yet, and there doesn't seem to be anything to do.  I'm trying to get to the island depicted on the mural.  Help, please!   (:-\  I feel really stupid.  Everyone says these are so easy, but I can never even finish the  HerInteractive Nancy Drew games without help!)

EDIT:  Tsk.  Figures once I ask for help, I figure it out. 
Spaz ate the dopefish.

Anym

Please post calls for help in the Ben Jordan 6 thread on the Hints and Tips board. If you feel stupid, it should be for not reading the forum rules and not for being stuck, which is something that happens to all of us from time to time. ;)
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Mr. Mozzarella

I haven't finished the game yet but I would like to mention that from what I saw so far it is reminding me VERY MUCH of KQ6 "Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow". Some island backgrounds and the labyrinth backgrounds are looking quite similar (not in style but in composition), there's also "an island shrouded in mists" in KQ6 and I think even the same words are being used for it, the whole island-labyrinth-minotaur-oracle-???-thing... and I'll wait what else will come  ;)

As I am sure that Grundislav does not need to steal ideas, I'd just think it's some kind of hommage ... could I be right there? After all, it's the same number in the series ...
Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

JayBTV

I loved this game along with the rest of the series.  Thanks!

paolo

Quote from: Anym on Mon 10/09/2007 14:39:44
Something that might be a mistake, but not being a native speaker I can't be sure (emphasis added):
Spoiler
When trying to talk to the woman standing by the exit of the airport for the first time, the game tells you: "The woman shrugs and shakes her head. She must not speak English."
[close]

OK, I'm putting my teacher's hat on. Grammar lesson coming up... :) Ignore if you aren't interested.

The sentence is correct but ambiguous, because "must" can be used in at least two ways in English, and this sentence can be read in either of these two ways.

"She must..." can mean either "she is required to ..." or "It must be true that she ..." (in other words, "I think that she ..." or "I believe that she ..."). So
Spoiler
"She must speak English" can mean "She is required to speak English" (rather than another language) or "It must be true that she speaks English".
[close]

Now, in English, "must not" usually means "is required not to", so when it is used to mean "It must be that ... not ...", it can look a bit strange because the meaning is not always clear. So
Spoiler
"She must not speak English" looks like it means "She is required not to speak English" (but to speak another language instead) rather than "It must be true that she does not speak English."
[close]

So, to avoid this ambiguity, you can reword the sentence as something like
Spoiler
"It must be that she doesn't speak English." or rewrite it as something like "I don't think she speaks English."
[close]
So the sentence is fine as it is, but ambiguous.

The same applies to "can":
Spoiler
"She can't speak English" might mean "She is not able to speak English" or "It can't be true that she speaks English."
[close]

OK, grammar lesson over... does that help, Amyn? Maybe you knew all this already, because your English looks as good as any native speaker's to me.

EKM

Wow. Another Ben Jordan case!!! Must download now.

Edit: Just finished it. It wasn't as scary as the previous cases, but I liked the remaining half of the game a lot. This is a great series nevertheless. I can't wait for the next one.

LUniqueDan

Finally completed it.
Great BJ game! Like the puzzles and the story timming.
(minus the dough one)
:D
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

proximity

I finished the game a bit late :) 6th game looks shorter or easier to me. But the story, is amazing. Considering 6 games of the serie, Ben Jordan tells you more than paranormal matters and you start to wonder what will happen in the next game. You may call me crazy but i think Ben Jordan should be a good Hollywood movie :)
Proximity Entertainment

Leonard LePage

I like this game series a lot. I think my favorite is "Horror at Number 50".

That being said, I think this is probably the weakest game in the series. It lacked the details that made me enjoy the last two games so much. The plot was kind of flimsy too.

Why did they just leave the monster's body on the beach? If Ben had taken it with him, it would have been a major discovery! Then maybe his parents wouldn't be nagging him about getting a "real" job, as the teasers for the latest game suggest.

This also seemed to easier than the other games. It's the first one I've been able to complete without consulting a walk-through. I liked that, but at times it seemed a little too easy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next installment. The developments concerning Percival Quentin Jones were very interesting, and I can't wait to see if we learn more in the next game.

theatrx

Grundislav... Wonderful Game... I've played 3 or 4 so far.  Always entertaining.  Sometimes people can be very harsh in their criticism.  So much work!!!... and incredible work it is!!!  Don't let em get you down.  Keep it up.  There's one person out here and probably many others that think the time, energy, creativity and ingenuity is mind boggling in this democratic world where criticism is more important than thankfulness.  Well done!
Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

artemis

Hi! I really enjoyed this game...until now. Well, to cut to the chase, I have around 50 points and i'm supposed to make the fisherman translate the inscription on a statue. I did everything right, I even read some walkthroughs but i can't use the notepad on the fisherman. I get a message that " i don't wanna give things away just like that"...or something like that... Can anyone help me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong... :(

I really like this game.

Bjyman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk