Bestowers of Eternity

Started by Dave Gilbert, Sat 04/10/2003 23:38:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

I found time to play it this weekend, and wow, Dave you are the best man on the forum. I love the main character, her moodiness and her shyness. And the story really develops like a nightmare. The only thing I hate is that it ends just the moment it really gets exciting. I can't wait to see more and hope you can make it next year.
Dave Gilbert for president!

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Totoro on Mon 24/11/2003 01:18:21
Dave Gilbert for president!

Cool.

If elected, my first act will be to make "Adventure Game Appreciation" a required course in all public schools!

Dave Gilbert

Totoro

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 25/11/2003 18:35:16
I finally added this to the AGS games page.  

http://www.agsforums.com/games.php?action=detail&id=304

whee.

Didn't you upload it twice...? It says under "Other Games made by David Gilbert": "Bestowers of Eternity"  ???

Dave Gilbert

Oh.  That's the demo version.  Not sure how to delete it.

Pumaman

EKM

This game was really well done, I loved it. One of the best aspects of the game came from the letters, they were realistic and tragic haha. Very nice storytelling though and the links between the family members was unique. The dialogue shared between Rosa and the doctor was very complex. The puzzles were also not as easy as I thought, I was stuck on day 2 for a while but eventually got it.

I wanna know what happens at the carousel!! can't wait till part two!

Good work!

After

Yeah, the letters were brilliant; I could really feel how they stretched over time.

There was one puzzle that didn't seem right to me though --
Spoiler
I didn't see the need to go through the doctor's files. I thought I had enough info to begin researching, and missed any hint that only the confidential records were of any use.
But more than that, since when is a stopwatch an alarm?
[close]

EKM

Quote from: After on Sun 07/12/2003 21:22:49
Yeah, the letters were brilliant; I could really feel how they stretched over time.

There was one puzzle that didn't seem right to me though --
Spoiler
I didn't see the need to go through the doctor's files. I thought I had enough info to begin researching, and missed any hint that only the confidential records were of any use.
But more than that, since when is a stopwatch an alarm?
[close]

Well....

Spoiler
wasn't the need for the doctor's file to get the recipe? because I got two of heaven or something like that from the doctor's file and I connected that with the book I got from the library and that's what ended up with the recipe. So I think it was something necessary for the game in order to apply the finished recipe on the photo in the end after getting all required objects. As for the stopwatch, don't they ring a tone once they stop at the time you've set them to? maybe that's why they were going off like an alarm in the game? I could be wrong though of course.
[close]

Leiza

This is a great game.  Thanks for creating it!  Can't wait for the next part.

Oh, and please put a Load/Save option on the sequel. :P

Berserk

Fantastic gam! Has a great story; and the graphics are pretty good too. Can't wait for part 2 :D!

Quote from: Leiza on Sun 04/01/2004 13:27:12Oh, and please put a Load/Save option on the sequel. :P
There is a save and load option in the game. Just press the F1 key while playing; and a pop-up window comes up with load, save and quit options. Maybe this should be in the ReadMe file??

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Berserk on Sun 04/01/2004 23:02:58
Fantastic gam! Has a great story; and the graphics are pretty good too. Can't wait for part 2 :D!

Quote from: Leiza on Sun 04/01/2004 13:27:12Oh, and please put a Load/Save option on the sequel. :P
There is a save and load option in the game. Just press the F1 key while playing; and a pop-up window comes up with load, save and quit options. Maybe this should be in the ReadMe file??

It *is* in the readme file. :-)

Leiza

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sun 04/01/2004 23:04:51
It *is* in the readme file. :-)

Oh.  Haha!  Sorry 'bout that.  Not everyone reads the ReadMe file, like me, though I usually do (not this time for some reason).  Maybe at the start of the game you can put in just little hints on how to save/load/exit/key controls like some games do.  Or you can just put in "read the ReadMe file first" or something like that.

Good luck on the sequel!  Can't wait for it.

ratracer

Unfortunately, I can't get to play the game at home... I can, but F1 doesn't work (as it doesn't in my own game) - somehow, my wireless keyboard doesn't recongnise the F1 to F9 keys when playing AGS games... Anyone has the same problem?

ratracer

I've been playing the game at work, and, wow!, the game is a beaut - very absorbing, which in my present situation, it's dangereous stuff, since I really have work to do!

Great job, Dave!!!! Truly great!

Sam.

Dave? you are a god amongst men! this game rox!!! it's just supreme. the graophics didn't bug me. i hav had no problems yet but i am only oin day 2 sooo...
any way thankyou a whole big bunch and hurry up with part two. don't do a jade sphinx on me!
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Dave Gilbert

In case anyone missed it, "Bestowers of Eternity: Part One" received two trophies in the 2003 AGS awards ceremony.  It won for "Best Supporting Character" (Joey) as well as "Best Story!"

Thanks to everyone who voted.  You all rock.

Vel

big brother

Dave, I actually got around to playing your game (like I promised myself) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In my opinion, it should have won the AGS award for the best dialogue. But then again, in my opinion, children with scissors chase claustrophobic leprechauns.

The music was great, and the art: tolerable. However, I was annoyed at the speed of the Rosa's walkcycle. She seemed to struggle across the screen. Also, I didn't like the length of the dog whistle part. That cutscene was good the first time, but when I wasn't sure what I needed to do after that, I ended up leaving the screen. I had to sit through that one a good 4 or 5 times before I solved the puzzle. Maybe the next time you blow the whistle there could be an abbreviated cutscene?

Also, during the Bellevue puzzle, I was annoyed when the doctor returned to interupt my snooping. Maybe he should only return after you learn about "two for heaven?"

Just my impressions. Great game though. Are you planning to compile the trilogy into a single package once they're all finished?
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Dave Gilbert

Thanks Big Bro!  I'm happy you liked it.  Yeah, I agree that some of those puzzles weren't the best.  Sticking puzzles into such a realistic setting was extraordinarily hard.  The getting-the-doc-out-of-his-office puzzle used to be much worse.  If anyone's really interested in hearing what it was, I'll tell you.  But just to warn you, it's so lame that it nearly changed the orbital pattern of the Earth.

And for info about the rest of the game, check Squinky's interview with me on the "A" zine:

http://www.sylpher.com/a/art.php?artid=53

I should have announced this sooner, I guess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk