Chick Chaser

Started by aussie, Wed 17/08/2005 21:52:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

*cough* I do recall a certain password puzzle in Phantasmagoria 2 where the only hint was the voice of Bob insulting you (Forget it, ratboy). That was a quite nice puzzle. Of course, the password had only six letters and about only about 10 possible letters in each space (the letters rolled by and you had to wait for the right one, and each tumbler had only about 10 letters, did I say this already? Oh my I did), making it easier. I guess this is one of those cases where we learn what works and what doesn't, Aussie - it worked in Phantasmagoria 2 because of these reasons (it was easier to guess), and I'm guessing it just doesn't work in yours because those reasons aren't there. Mind you, I've yet to play the game, I just thought this might be interesting input. But then, I think lots of things. They often include cheese and beer, which is very strange since I don't even LIKE beer.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

aussie_unplugged

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires on Mon 22/08/2005 13:34:15
Mind you, I've yet to play the game, I just thought this might be interesting input. But then, I think lots of things. They often include cheese and beer, which is very strange since I don't even LIKE beer.

;D

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires on Mon 22/08/2005 13:34:15
*cough* I do recall a certain password puzzle in Phantasmagoria 2 where the only hint was the voice of Bob insulting you (Forget it, ratboy). That was a quite nice puzzle. Of course, the password had only six letters and about only about 10 possible letters in each space (the letters rolled by and you had to wait for the right one, and each tumbler had only about 10 letters, did I say this already? Oh my I did), making it easier. I guess this is one of those cases where we learn what works and what doesn't, Aussie - it worked in Phantasmagoria 2 because of these reasons (it was easier to guess), and I'm guessing it just doesn't work in yours because those reasons aren't there.

Perhaps.

The rationale behind my puzzle was "what's the Dean's favorite word?"

Some people caught on and some didn't.

I just don't think it's worthwhile pushing this any further. As I said, the point is taken for future reference, which is just about the only thing I can do at this stage.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Oh, ayuh - I just wanted to give you some pointers that made exactly the same puzzle work elsewhere, for your future reference, to help you understand how to make it better. :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

That Guy

Sorry about the spoilers, I thought I tagged everything that would be a giveaway.  I'll try to be more mindful in the future.  :-X  I'm also rather unique among adventure gamers in that I love playing them, interacting with the stories, and what-not, but I'm terrible at solving puzzles.  I'll either get the solution right away or I'll just never see it.

QuoteI disagree. The magazine thingy is by no means a stumper. It does not stop you from doing anything at all and you can get to the end of the game without it.

In hindsight, you're right.  I'm not sure why I thought the magazine was important early on, all I know is that for some reason I didn't progress in the library until I'd found it.  That's probably a misperception on my part.  ;D

Pixel hunt? I think the hotspot is large enough in comparison with others in the same room (it's larger than the drawers, the coat, the pennant or even the poster). Perhaps the word is "unexpected" or "difficult to find", but I honestly don't think it's a pixelhunt. I fact, I was trying very hard to avoid those in this game.

Hmm... yea, "unexpected" is probably a better term. 
Spoiler
You have no real "nudge" towards mousing over the whole bed because there's no real indication that you should... especially since you'd have an idea of what you might be looking for with a definite goal in mind.  You'll never know you even need to be looking for a magazine until you've already failed the game for not having it, worst-case scenario.
[close]

With a desk, there's always the implication of "something may be in one of the drawers.", so you're always motivated to go rooting around in a desk in adventure games.  Not so much the edges of beds.

Spoiler

The list is not there the first time you go. So you might notice a large (in comparison), bright green poster that takes up half the noticeboard later on. In fact, all other notes were drawn in dim colors (light grey, pink, yellow) so that the poster really stands out.

And Carmen gives you a very explicit comment about the green poster she put up in the faculty. I think that's hinted enough.
[close]

Really?  Hmm... I can't recall Carmen saying anything about that at all.  I must have missed it somehow.  I'll be playing through it again to get a higher score in the near future so I'll pay better attention to her dialogue.  I played the game over the course of a few days so any verbal hints got lost in the shuffle.

QuoteHow many times, playing an adventure game, have you found you had nothing important to say to a particular character until you realised he has something you need?

Spoiler
The difference is the response generated by the main character as to why he doesn't want to interact with the object.  An emphatic "I'm not going up there, I'll get in trouble" tells me "this object is not to be used."  Something along the lines of "I don't have any reason to be climbing the walls of the geology building right now" tells me "I just haven't figured out why I would want to go up there."
[close]

A similar puzzle in a game I played recently whose name I shall not mention here springs to mind.  It was a red herring involving two people standing near a door.  I tried to open the door, and the character said "those two guys are in my way."  So I got to thinking "hmm, how do I get them OUT of my way?".

Spoiler

...but how many of those wacky solutions to puzzles have you seen in adventure games? I would have never thought of "picking up dog" or using "dodo on valve" (dodo being a monkey - I can't remember his actual name) i.e. using a monkey as a "monkey wrench" in MI2?
[close]

A few too many, to be sure.  I *hate* those "Wacky" solutions because they fall under the "guess what the designer was thinking" category, which is the primary spark for my admitted love-hate relationship with adventure games.  ;D

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things some of my objections can be chalked up to my own imperceptiveness, and I did enjoy the game enough that I'll want to play through it again.  Thumbs up.

aussie

Hey That Guy!

A lot of those comments you make are very fair. It's just that we have different views on certain things.

Anyway, I gather that you enjoyed the game, which is what it was made for.  ;D

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

That Guy

Quote from: aussie on Mon 22/08/2005 20:09:40
Hey That Guy!

A lot of those comments you make are very fair. It's just that we have different views on certain things.

Anyway, I gather that you enjoyed the game, which is what it was made for.Ã,  ;D

Indeed.  You nailed the classic low-res colorful style perfectly.  I think after I finish the games I'm working on now I'll try and do one of those myself using CC as a model.  It's one of the best-looking low-res games I've seen come out of AGS so far.

ida

Very funny game! Liked the different scoring method, meant you got more out of the game.

CodeJunkie

Great game, managed to get the good ending with 173 points.  Is there a different ending if you get the full 178?  Anyway, some crits (many already mentioned):

Spoiler

-Top arrow on inventory changes cursor to an ugly pointer.
-You can't 'look' at the scissors in the inventory.
-When talking to Theresa near the start of the game, the phrase "the you're" comes up, instead of "then you're".  I can't remember precisely where though, it's in the conversation after talking to the geek.
-You can access the default inventory with tab.
-The default white background text boxes look sort of ugly.  I'd recommend replacing them with plain speech, it just doesn't seem to suit the game.
-I don't think that you can click on any part on an inventory item to select it, only the upper section.  I had a problem like this, try looking at SetInvDimensions (I don't know if it's in v2.7, never tried it).
-During the photograph scene, 'bum' is spelt as 'bumb'
[close]

The graphics were great too, they really seem to fit the game.  And the close-ups, ;), nicely yet still tastefully done.
Again, a fantastic game.  To be honest, I was quite relieved that the scenes were quite mild and that while there was some titillation, it wasn't frontal nudity or obviously adult as more games in the field seem to be.  Not to mean any disrespect to those games, simply that this game seems to be a nice compromise, with both puzzling and light romance, making it more accessible than the more graphic titles.
This is the first game of yours I've played, aussie, but I might check the others out.  Similar style or not, I look forward to your next release.

aussie

Hi ida, it's good to see you again.

SimB, thanks for all that. As you say I did try to avoid coming up with an adult game. I wanted to have some... what did you call it again...? Tillilation, that's it. Still, I put a disclaimer and an age limit, just in case.

This is the first game of yours I've played, aussie, but I might check the others out.  Similar style or not, I look forward to your next release.

If you feel like checking my previous stuff out, please go ahead. You'll find those games to have a similar style, but a pretty different setting.

One more thing. In CC, there's no special ending if you get full points, you just get a better rank (Love guru is the max). Still, I'm not sure if some people have mistaken the "fairly happy endings" (friends with Mahatma or friends with Amy) for the "real happy ending".

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Scummbuddy

Well, then, how long must we wait until an official walkthrough?!  ;)
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

aussie

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Sat 27/08/2005 01:50:32
Well, then, how long must we wait until an official walkthrough?!Ã,  ;)

Ok, ok, here it is. It was already written to help me get through the game without missing anything.

Spoiler

Chick Chaser (by AussieSoftTM)

Official Walkthru

This walkthru should get you 178 points (including the secret puzzle), otherwise let me know. Note it is possible to get over 178 if you take the cash from the box and manage to get all the way to the very end of the game. However, in that case you will be busted for stealing and ultimately lose 30 points.

Interact with drawers (get scissors)   
Interact with bed side         
Get mag            
Use mag with bathroom      
Interact with door         
Look at door            
Go to the fountain         
Talk to Mahatma (this you should do every time you meet a new girl)   
Go to the library, and enter the room to the north   
Watch cutscene and find out about green poster
Go to the fountain
Talk to Mahatma (ask him questions about Carmen)
Go to the faculty (cream colored building to the east of campus)
Go inside
Look at the green poster on the left noticeboard
Go back to the library
Talk to Con and mention you have a specific request for a book
Watch cutscene
Talk to Carmen (exhaust all dialog options)
Go to library entrance
Look at hand ladder
Use scissors on hand ladder
Look at top shelf
Go back to Carmen and speak to her (ask for ‘love tale of many tears')
Interact with Carmen's magazine (get pool pass)
Get out
Interact with hand ladder (get board)
Interact with poetry book
Look at poetry book
Go to the Faculty (upstairs)
Look at Theresa
Talk to Theresa (exhaust all dialog options)
Talk to geek of the wekk
Talk to Theresa again (exhaust all dialog options)
Interact with noticeboard (get pin)
Look at examination room
Go to the fountain
Talk to Mahatma (question him about Theresa)
Go to the faculty (outside)
Look at windows
Interact with hand ladder
Use pin with board (get harpoon)
Use harpoon with exams (get exam paper)
Go where Theresa is
Use exam paper with Theresa
Watch cutscene
Go to the gym
Try to get past the gate
Look at sign (see Shawnee)
Give pool pass to Rodney
Go to the solarium
Go to the fountain
Talk to Mahatma (question him about Shawnee)
Go to the solarium
Walk around muscles until you see an airplane fly by
Look at airplane
Use pin on muscles
Pick up collateral damage
Look at Shawnee
Go to Faculty (downstairs)
Walk around the Dean's office
Interact with trophies
Interact with alarm
Type morons
Interact with trophies (get trophy)
Go to the solarium
Interact with flowers (get rose)
Use trophy with Shawnee
Go to the fountain
Go to the pub
Try to get in, talk to bouncer (exhaust options)
Go to oval
Interact with sports bag (get invitation)
Go to the pub
Look at grate
Use invitation with bouncer
Enter and watch cutscene
Talk to girl of dubious morals
Talk to Rodderick
Ask for a drink (get bottle opener)
Say no to the second drink
Go to the pool
Go to the room on the left
Interact with locker (say 396)
Interact with locker (get magnet)
Go to the pub
Talk to sick one
Use magnet with grate (get coin)
Go to the pool
Go to the room on the left
Use coin with snack machine (get chocolates)
Interact with Dean's door
Use telephone (call Dean)
Interact with Dean's door
Interact with chair
Interact with statue (get key)
Interact with cabinet
Interact with folders
Use key with box
Take cash (say no)
Get out and interact with window
Interact with phone (call bus station)
Go to college room
Interact with ticket
Say yes (watch cutscene)
Look at mailbox

If you have the bottle opener
   Use bottle opener with grate
   Interact with grate
Else
   Look keyhole
   Use invitation on door
   Use scissors with keyhole (get key)
   Use key with door

Get inside Mahatma's treasure room
Say you have something to tell her
Say you're sorry
Say it won't be the last time she hears it
Say you have a rose
Say you've brought some chocolates
Show Mahatma's mag to Amy
Say ‘it's not my fault I fell in love, you tripped me'
Watch ending

Secret puzzle
Show muscles unplugged to geek of the week
Interact with geek of the week (get brace)
Go to the dressing room in the gym
Look at door
Interact with door
Look at wall
Use brace on wall
Look at peekholes

Possible endings
There are eight different endings you can get:

Happy ending: you manage to marry Amy.
Run over by a car: this may happen in the map screen, when crossing the road.
Busted by the cops: if you manage to get to the very end of the final dialog but you stole the cash from the faculty's box.
Being an assassin: if you push the window cleaner off the ledge.
Broken hearted: if you do not follow the exact sequence of dialogs in the last conversation. You may still get two fairly happy endings (remain friends with Amy or remain friends with Mahatma).
Drunk: if you say yes to the second drink in the pub.
Mugged: if you use the cash to get the girl of dubious morals.
Expelled from uni: if you get caught inside the Dean's office.

[close]

So there Scummbuddy. Did you miss any of the stuff?Ã,  ;)

EDIT: On a different note, I think we just went straight to the top of AGS' official downloads list!Ã,  Yay! :o 8)

MissyChelle

WHat an amazing game Aussie! I loved it!!! (Can't wait until you make another game!)  ;D
~*MissyChelle*~

big brother

I really liked the depth of the game, dialogue heavy and interaction rich. Four things bothered me though. (warning: some spoilers below)

1. Interaction dialogue in the solarium seemed rushed and inconsistent when compared to the rest of the rooms.

2. I tried talking to the geek at first, but it told me I wouldn't. So I talked to Theresa, then to Mahatma. I learned about her exam troubles from him, so I spent about half an hour fiddling around with the ladder (from the inside, it says the first story windows don't open, but from the outside, it says those windows are locked from the inside. And later, in the dean's office, the window DOES open. Oops.).

When I read the walkthrough, it said I had to talk to the geek, then Theresa again before it would let me climb the ladder. This didn't make much sense from the game's standpoint, since it never really gives me a reason to talk to the geek and if I already know about the test from Mahatma, I should be able to climb the ladder.

3. There's a misundertanding between a "death" and an "ending". I guess technically, a death IS an ending, but that would mean that FOA had like 50 billion endings. It would be cool if some things took a little longer to catch up to you.

4. I had trouble understanding the player character. Apparently, he dislikes meatheads and sometimes refuses to talk to them because they are "too stupid". But on the same note, he is a shallow, uneducated slob. Like from some scenes, he shows himself as barely literate (strange for a non-athlete university student) and basically an all around fuck-tard. Look at his conversations with Carmen and Theresa, for instance. Also, who takes a trophy, overlooking the fact it's crowned with a statuette of a female figure skater???

I know it's tongue and cheek, it's just seems like that dialogue fits a lounge lizard like Larry Laffer better than it fits a college student.

Besides these flaws, I enjoyed playing your game.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

aussie

Quote from: MissyChelle on Sun 28/08/2005 20:54:42
WHat an amazing game Aussie! I loved it!!! (Can't wait until you make another game!) ;D

Thanks a lot, you're very kind.

I've made a few others (just check my user profile or go to the Chick Chaser page in the AGS main page). If you want to try them, they'll probably keep you busy until I come up with a new one.Ã,  ;)

For some reason, girls seem to enjoy my games more than boys do... ???

--------------------------

Thanks, big brother. That's some stuff to think about.

Quote from: big brother on Sun 28/08/2005 21:47:15
Interaction dialogue in the solarium seemed rushed and inconsistent when compared to the rest of the rooms.

Perhaps you're right.

From the inside, it says the first story windows don't open, but from the outside, it says those windows are locked from the inside. And later, in the dean's office, the window DOES open. Oops.

I thought I had fixed that. Well, obviously not.

In any case, I assumed corridor windows did not open, like it happens in a lot of public buildings (as opposed to office windows, which do usually open). Then I thought it was too much of an assumption and wanted to change it, but I forgot.

Thanks for pointing it out.

There's a misundertanding between a "death" and an "ending".

Ok. Then take there are three endings and seven deaths. Or one good ending, two fairly good endings that involve happy deaths, and seven just plain deaths.

In any case, I only ever stated the 8-endings thing in the walkthrough, so I feel it's a marginal point.

It would be cool if some things took a little longer to catch up to you.

That'd be cool, for sure. But that sometimes requires extra effort in terms of art and programming.

I'm not Herculean Effort Productions, for crying out loud!Ã,  ;D

Chick Chaser is only an amateur game, thrown together by one person.

Some things do take awhile to catch up to you, though. For instance, the cash thingy opened a couple of gaming options for you, and it does not catch up to you until you get to the very end.

When I read the walkthrough, it said I had to talk to the geek, then Theresa again before it would let me climb the ladder. This didn't make much sense from the game's standpoint, since it never really gives me a reason to talk to the geek and if I already know about the test from Mahatma, I should be able to climb the ladder.

The rationale behind that was:
- You don't want to speak to the geek at first ('that'd ruin my reputation').
- You do want to speak to the girl. So you speak to the her for the first time, but you don't really get much out of the dialog.
- Then you think 'what's wrong with her?'. That guy standing there may know/may have seen something you've missed.
- You talk to him, then you realise you should be more sympathetic to the girl.
- Then you get a diffferent approach to the dialog, and you find out she wants to pass without studying. She even hints she wants the exam questions. In that moment, the ladder 'unlocks'.
- Then I gave some hints: if you look at the windows and at the examination room door, you realise there's a pile of exam papers there. That for the player to think 'Aha, that's probably what she needs'.
- Then you go and pick up the paper.

I don't completely agree with your comment about Mahatma. The only thing you may figure out from that conversation is that Theresa wants to pass, but not that you have to steal an exam paper for her. You only get to know that for sure once you exhaust the second dialog with her.

I had trouble understanding the player character. Apparently, he dislikes meatheads and sometimes refuses to talk to them because they are "too stupid". But on the same note, he is a shallow, uneducated slob. Like from some scenes, he shows himself as barely literate (strange for a non-athlete university student) and basically an all around fuck-tard. Look at his conversations with Carmen and Theresa, for instance. Also, who takes a trophy, overlooking the fact it's crowned with a statuette of a female figure skater??

I know it's tongue and cheek, it's just seems like that dialogue fits a lounge lizard like Larry Laffer better than it fits a college student.

The main character is supposed to be a bit of an idiot at the beginning. Someone uncultured (we've all met people like that at uni, even non-meatheads), uppity, superficial and self-assured. He despises meatheads and geeks alike.

I did not expect the player to sympathise too much with the main character. Only at the end (from the bus cut-scene onwards) when the person playing realises he/she can actually make a difference to the way Andy behaves.

Although it's a hard thing to do in an adventure game, I wanted to portray how he experiences a real turnaround when he realises he actually loves Amy.

I suppose this is really what I wanted the game to stand out for: it's the story of someone who must change as things unfold, and face up to the cosequences of his actions, all of it in a light-hearted romantic-comedy setting.

In the end, he really needs to humble himself to get Amy back, but he does not change his nature completely (he puts Mahatma down big time, for instance). So I think the change is not overdone.

I did not want the game to be too hard to finish, because the stronger point was supposed to be the story. I gather from people's feedback that the story flows along fairly nicely, which makes me happy.

As you said, the game is supposed to be very much tongue in cheek. The whole concept was thrown together in one afternoon, really.

------------------------

Anyway, thanks for all that. There are a lot of very insightful comments in this thread (Scummbuddy, That Guy, mätzyboy, big brother... also Magintz and Donny Brook, my beta testers, pointed out stuff I changed before releasing the game).

If I had to remake the game, I would certainly take all those into account.

As things are, I want to move on to bigger and better things. Please, do not feel overlooked if I leave Chick Chaser as it is, all your comments will certainly help me with my next game. And in the end, that will result in a better gaming experience for you in the future.

That's a bit the point of making amateur games, isn't it? You keep improving as you receive constructive criticism, then you make better games. Then people out there enjoy them more.

I certanly think I've come a long way from 'Nick it and Run', 'Casablanca' and 'Abducted'.

I'm getting there.Ã, 

big brother

There's no question your game designing skills are improving! I remember playing NIAR and I thought it was only above average (decent graphics, but missing interactions). I definitely enjoyed myself playing Chick Chaser. It's a solid game that really evoked a sense of nostalgia for me. Sorry to come off as critical or unappreciative of your efforts. I just want to stress that I loved the game!

QuoteI don't completely agree with your comment about Mahatma. The only thing you may figure out from that conversation is that Theresa wants to pass, but not that you have to steal an exam paper for her. You only get to know that for sure once you exhaust the second dialog with her.

After talking to Mahatma (who says the only thing she wants to do is pass that class or whatever), I looked through the window in the lecture room door (near Theresa) and I saw a "stack of exam papers." As an experienced adventurer, I jumped to the conclusion that I needed to steal the exam for her. This was before I saw any hints, so I don't think I'm the only one to figure out what I needed to do before the player character did.

I'm not asking you to go back and fix anything with the game, I'm just pointing out things that confused me.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

aussie_unplugged

Quote from: big brother on Mon 29/08/2005 05:53:39

After talking to Mahatma (who says the only thing she wants to do is pass that class or whatever), I looked through the window in the lecture room door (near Theresa) and I saw a "stack of exam papers." As an experienced adventurer, I jumped to the conclusion that I needed to steal the exam for her. This was before I saw any hints, so I don't think I'm the only one to figure out what I needed to do before the player character did.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. An experienced adventure gamer might be quick to jump to that conclusion.

Oh well, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. As I said, all that stuff you pointed out will really come in handy for future reference.

mätzyboy

Quote from: aussie_unplugged on Mon 29/08/2005 10:07:23
Oh well, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. As I said, all that stuff you pointed out will really come in handy for future reference.

I'm sure thats what we all wanted when critizising! Cheers again for an excellent game!

Snarky

Aussie, have you played a game called "Igor: Objective Uikokahonia" by Pendulo Studios (available on The Underdogs)? It has a lot in common with your game, including the "get the girl" story set at (in that game) a boarding school, the "cheat on final exam" puzzle, and the fact that the main character is, as big brother put it, a total fucktard. (The big difference being that in "Igor", this seems to be completely unintentional.)

It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination. It has excellent graphics in a FOA/BASS style, but "Chick Chaser" has a lot more charm. But you might enjoy a different take on the same concept.

aussie_unplugged

I think I did play that when I was a kid, but that was quite a long time ago (probably ten or twelve years?).

Now that I think about it, perhaps I unconsciously drew from it as an inspiration... I don't know. It certainly wasn't in my mind when I made Chick Chaser.

I think of CC as a completely different story (aside from the uni setting and the get the girl bit).

In fact, I can't even remember the steal the exam bit in Igor, or any of the puzzles for that matter. The only thing I remember from that game was that the ending was anti-climatic. Something to do with getting yourself into an end-of-year trip and then find that the game finished right there. Like that's it. But I may play it again now that you've pointed it out.

Snarky

I don't remember it very well myself, and it's only been a year or two since I played it. (Apparently it's actually set at a college after all. But then why does everybody wear a school uniform?) My recollections are pretty much limited to:

1) Great low-res graphics.
2) It has a maze. Quite a large one.
3) For some reason, it's daytime on one side of the maze, and night on the other. If you go back and forth enough times, weeks must be passing in the game.
4) You have to cheat on the final exam. I think this involves stealing the paper from the dean's office.
5) The main character is one of the most unlikeable creeps I've ever had to inhabit as an adventure gamer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk