Gemini Rue

Started by TheJBurger, Thu 24/02/2011 18:22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Yes... sorry- I meant "now", obviously! ;) Thanks Dual:)

KodiakBehr

This is amazing!  Does this mean Steam has reversed its policy on low-res games?  Here's hoping it's profitable for both you and them (mostly you).

Dualnames

Quote from: Grim on Thu 27/10/2011 19:36:19

Your personal proofreader, at your service!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Grim

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 27/10/2011 22:10:57
Quote from: Grim on Thu 27/10/2011 19:36:19

Your personal proofreader, at your service!

I guess I have to thank you not... ;)

Dixon

Daniel Kaplan from mojang is livestreaming your game now! http://t.co/WH5Ul0wd

Also Marcus Persson (Notch) twittered:"holy moly, I need to play that game. Stopped watching the stream to avoid spoilers :D"

Congratulations I think you got a few extra sells from that :)

Secret Fawful

Found a bug on the Steam version: when you walk down to the fourth floor in the Highrise from the sixth, if you click on the fourth door to open it as you're walking down from the sixth floor, the main character stops midway there on the fifth, makes the "open door" animation, and then the door on the fourth floor magically opens on its own.

Greg Squire

Just finished the game last night and I have to say I was impressed.  Way to go Joshua, Dave, and everyone else that worked on the game!  It was most excellent.  The kudos are well deserved.  I add my recommendation (if that means anything) to the heap of other glowing reviews.

monkey0506

@Fawful:

Hey, quit blaming crap on me. :=

Nah, but the Steam version is the same as the non-Steam version aside from the inclusion of the plugin (and a GUI reflecting the relevant data). Unless Josh messed something else up. 8) The best place for bug reports might be to contact Dave directly via his email (dave@wadjeteyegames.com IIRC). He keeps pretty busy, but he checks his emails pretty regularly.

Alarconte

Jut beat up the game, worth every euro!

Trully amazing, just the minimal lenght of a game that I pay off, Great characters and you very only discovers the truth step by step..

Congratulations! Hope this encourage doing more long-lenght games and selling them in Steam!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

CaptainD

Gemini Ru is up for both Best Computer Game and Game of the Year in the Indie Game Mag 2011 Awards!
http://www.indiegamenews.com/2011/11/indie-game-magazine-2011-game-of-year.html

Congratulations Josh and Dave  ;D

monkey0506

For anybody who had trouble running Gemini Rue on Windows 7, a fix should be getting released shortly so that you can run the game under the Direct3D 9 driver. Previously this wasn't possible because the game was dependent on the Snow/Rain plugin which didn't support D3D9. Now it's just using some native AGS code. If you experienced the problem let Dave know and he can see about getting a copy of the fixed game for you to try out, and make sure there's no further related issues.

Mati256

Does anyone know if I order Gemini Rue with the "BMT Order On CD" I get a CD in a DVD case with covers and everything?
It might sound as a stupid question but I thought this game was only available in CD as a preorder.
:)
My Blog! (En Español)

SeamanNaranja

Just finished it. This is the best adventure game I've played in a long time. Now I'm slightly ashamed I got it cheap in an indie bundle  :sealed:
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

Eric

I was well behind in playing this game (I'll get to Resonance next year sometime, probably), but sat down with it over the past few days and enjoyed myself immensely. I know no one probably cares at this point, but....

Here are some things I liked about the game:

Spoiler

- I loved the dual play aspect to the game, especially because the two settings were so different in visuals, tone, and character, that it widened the experience.

- I was expecting a twist or two, but the moment where Sayuri's name is given in the Delta-Six storyline was incredibly effective.

- I continue to be impressed with the quality of Wadjet's voiceover work. I hadn't noticed in the Blackwell games, but the chap who does the voice of Joey and Kane in Gemini Rue has an Owen Wilson-ish quality to his voice. Are these all New York-based actors?

- I only turned to a walkthrough once, and for a foolish reason. I didn't think to talk to the door on the maintenance level to see Giselle. Otherwise, the puzzles felt like they were just right in difficulty for the most part, aside from one red herring (see below). There was a nice build-up of easy puzzles at first to more difficult in the middle, and then a fairly simple final act, which is, I think, the best way to do it (saving the hardest stuff to the end results in anti-climax, like Broken Sword 2).

- The danger with sci-fi is to go overboard and make a world that seems wholly unfamiliar, which doesn't let the audience identify in any sort of human way with the characters/world/situation. I thought Gemini Rue did a fantastic job of giving a little bit of back story, but letting us see the conflicts of the world mostly by showing us the effect it had on the people at the bottom.
[close]

And here are a handful of things that bugged me:

Spoiler

- I only really figured out the hold-your-breath thing during my last gunfight. I was lousy at all of the gunfights, especially the one in the weather tower, and wish that had auto-saved as the bullets started flying, so I didn't have to skip past the lengthy dialogue with Sayuri every time I died (which was often). I think playing with a crappy old wireless keyboard from across the room hurt my accuracy.

- I'm not familiar with Cowboy Bebop, so I spent an incredible amount of time trying to re-find the weird girl Easter Egg character to try to get her to go through the hole in the tech building for me. It took me forever to talk to Sayuri, because I thought I'd learned from the other two characters on the back alley screen that they weren't interested in talking to me.

- There were a couple of times I was trying to save, but couldn't, in areas where it seemed as though I should be able to do so. I've got a baby, so much of my adventure game time is spent chasing him around the house and preventing him from eating/climbing/destroying things he shouldn't. I try to save every time I have to get up, just in case. I did have a few times where the game locked up, or threatened to.
[close]

All in all, a grand experience, and a positive watermark and ambassador for the AGS engine.

JanetC

Quote from: Mati256 on Wed 30/05/2012 23:49:18
Does anyone know if I order Gemini Rue with the "BMT Order On CD" I get a CD in a DVD case with covers and everything?
It might sound as a stupid question but I thought this game was only available in CD as a preorder.
:)

No, the pre-orders sold out a long time ago sorry. :(

adm244

[deleted]

Dave Gilbert

So have you wanted to buy this game on the App Store but couldn't?  WELL NOW YOU CAN!

Gemini Rue is now available for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch!

arj0n

Crimson Wizard

Hey, what about Linux release, how did it went? Scott Baker was very persistent on building it, and now he does not tell any news. I do not even know was it released yet.
(Unless I missed something)

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 11/04/2013 13:22:59
Hey, what about Linux release, how did it went? Scott Baker was very persistent on building it, and now he does not tell any news. I do not even know was it released yet.
(Unless I missed something)

We're still testing it, but it's a bit slow at the moment. iOS took priority, but it'll get there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk