Principles of Evil - ANIMATIONS!!!

Started by ola_66, Sun 26/09/2004 07:02:51

Previous topic - Next topic

ola_66

While I said that we wouldn't put more work into the game, the message from the forums was clear:  you guys didn't enjoy the half-assed job.

So we went back and added extras!
The game now has a number of cool animations, finally an original interface, as well as a new room.

download, screenshots, story, walkthrough at www.divotdesign.com

autowil

I just download and play the game. It start in a scene where there is a hole, i go down, it simply end the game.. Then i replay, and go to the left and walk out to a cave guarded by the dragonflys and then i go left, and then the screen hanged.. I am curious why there is no intro and opening scene. Have you done beta testing??

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Babayaga, heh? Why does that sound vaguely familiar? ;)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

ola_66

Quote from: autowil on Sun 26/09/2004 07:53:58
I just download and play the game. It start in a scene where there is a hole, i go down, it simply end the game.. Then i replay, and go to the left and walk out to a cave guarded by the dragonflys and then i go left, and then the screen hanged.. I am curious why there is no intro and opening scene. Have you done beta testing??

HOLY $^%&
i thought i made SURE it started in the right room!!!!
d'oh
ok, if possible, please erase all that from your memory. in a few minutes i'll have it fixed.

strazer

The same for me, autowil.

Also, you don't need to put .mid files into the download. Put them in the game folder (not Compiled) and they will be bundled into the exe.

ola_66

Quote from: redruM on Sun 26/09/2004 08:41:52
Babayaga, heh? Why does that sound vaguely familiar? ;)

Cuz she's been a major element of slavic folklore for centuries?  Cuz my parents would tell me to clean my room or else Babayaga would eat me?  Just some guesses  ;D

ola_66

Quote from: strazer on Sun 26/09/2004 08:49:18
Put them in the game folder (not Compiled) and they will be bundled into the exe.

K.  Done and done!
Wow, how embarassing.
Hope this didn't wreck the experience for u guys...  :-[

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteCuz she's been a major element of slavic folklore for centuries?  Cuz my parents would tell me to clean my room or else Babayaga would eat me?  Just some guesses 

Really? I was thinking of QFG 1. Guess the joke's on me.

Kneel. Now.

Albert Cuandero

Yippie-kay-yeah - this is just the kind of game I hoped someone will soon post.

Just played for the first 10 minutes and I already LOVE it.

Mostly because of the main character - she's so incredibly sexy (and anyone who read my "in production theread" knows I know what I am talking about)!

Graphics are great, dialogues have an original and intelligent way of cracking me up and I really want to know what will happen next. Oh, and wait 'till you hear that music!

I will come back to youÃ,  Ola, when I played it through - but I wish this one gives me hours and days of entertainment!

Ola thanks for this one! (any chance you are/were illustrating kids books - because of the style?)

EDIT:

QuoteCuz she's been a major element of slavic folklore for centuries?Ã,  Cuz my parents would tell me to clean my room or else Babayaga would eat me?

...how come your parents told you the same mine told me?Ã,  :)
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Problem

This is very very very good!  :)
An original story, lots interesting and funny characters, and wonderful backgrounds!  :)
But, as you already mentioned, there are still many animations missing.  That gives the impression of an "unfinished" game. If you add the missing animations, it will be one of the best AGS games ever.
I didn't think the puzzles were too simple. Could be more difficult, but I think they are okay. Sometimes I had to do pixel-hunting to find the right hotspots.
But all in all you did a fantastic job. Already waiting for the sequel...  ;D

Kweepa

Wow, great stuff!
I love the detail in the backgrounds, the descriptions, the character's cynicism and dark side.
The artwork is extremely colourful without being gaudy. Nicely done!

It could use a little polish but you said that already.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Edwin Xie

God! I must be blind, I couldn't see the link to the Principles of Evil....until I adjusted my eyes......*Trails off so no one could remember what I just said.......

The thing I hate about this game is that this game in zip file is approximately 14.6 MB........*Trails off again...........
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Gregjazz

Been looking forward to this game!

Downloading now!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Just a leeeeetle thing - next time, consider using pixel-perfect detection. As it is, sometimes it's quite frustrating, clicking on something behind the character and have the click register as ON the character.

Other than that, thumbs up!

Kneel. Now.

SSH

Especially as pixel-perfect works on scaled characters in the latest beta...

I would also recommend:

1. Draw some new mouse pointers, they really clash with the rest of the art
2. Try and get rid of her flashing knees when she talks to camera, its really disconcerting. Also, the butcher's head has a flashing outline when he talks.

I'd really recommend that you produce a revised version of this with these and any other loose ends tidied up, the overall look is great!

Artphreak555

I just finished the game and i thought that it was FANTASTIC!!! I loved the graphic style and the characters. The main character was really funny and reminded me of myself a bit. I cannot wait for the next one!!

qptain Nemo

Rulez. This is really great game! One of the best of I've seen. Or exactly the best? Oh, this is not important, let's just enjoy it! Well, we have one more cool AGS game now. ;)

ola_66

Quote from: redruM on Mon 27/09/2004 06:35:51
next time, consider using pixel-perfect detection. As it is, sometimes it's quite frustrating, clicking on something behind the character and have the click register as ON the character.

Yes, how DO i fix that? It was even annoying ME, haha.  I have pixel-perfect click detection checked off.  Should it not be checked off?  How does all this business work?

SSH

Pixel perfect only used to work on non-sclaed characters, so to make sure it works all the time:

Turn on pixel-perfect checkbox, save game, make a copy of your entire game folder as a backup
Download AGS 2.62RC1 from the thread in the technical forum
Start the new version of AGS and load up your game, then save it again...

Artphreak555

Here is a more detailed response of the things i liked and did not:
-Loved the main character
-Liked that the music changes in different rooms (same music throughout   can be boring)
-I liked the drawing style; it was detailed, colorful, and highly interactive (every action got a humorous response)
-I liked the "alternate" evil responses and sarcasm
-Overall, this was one of the BEST ags games i have ever played, Keep it up!!

My only problem aside from the clicking issue:
-I would assume that if i chose the wrong instrument from the dentist that i should be able to return it/exchange it, but i had to restart my game until i chose the correct one

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk