Prodigal INTERVIEW on reloaded.org! 3/13/06 update!

Started by Trisk, Wed 09/11/2005 17:11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

splat44

Quote from: Trisk on Thu 26/01/2006 18:10:21
Reloaded just reviewed Prodigal! Heres a bit of what they had to say!

"With Prodigal it is very clear how much effort and time went into developing this very excellent adventure game, in such things as the different graphic styles seen in the game."

"The story itself really drew me into the game and really made me want to keep playing."

They finish off the review saying: "If you are looking for a lengthy adventure title, that really has had a lot of effort put into development, look no farther than Prodigal, a worthy adventure game that you should definitely check out."

Sounds great! You can check out the full review at http://www.reloaded.org/download/Prodigal/142/

For those of you who don't know, www.reloaded.org is a website devoted to various freeware games made and distributed over the Internet. They post reviews and make download links available for people. It is a great site to find free games, and get a guage of their quality before downloading!

Trisk,

Our offerts is leading somewhere.

Quote from: Seleceus on Mon 30/01/2006 23:50:06
To the entire Prodigal crew:

I've just finished the game today and must say; "You've done a fantastic job!"  Thank you all for another great AGS game. 

Selecceus,

I'm sure the Trisk wouldn't mind me posting since I've took part of the beta testing.

Thank you for your kind words.

Trisk

Thanks, Splat44! :)

For those of you who might have been living under a rock and missed the AGS awards, (tsk, tsk...where were you?  :P ) I'd like to announce that Prodigal took home the "Best Story" award for 2005! So if you are looking for a game whose tale will stay with you long after you turn off the monitor, well...look no further than Prodigal!

My brother penned the story for both Prodigal and Prodigal 2, because I realized early on that I wasn't gonna be able to write much of a story. So this award goes out to his awesome skills! He came up with a doozy of an idea, and it is just getting going in Prodigal! I don't think anyone has conceived of what happens next! :)

So vote "YES" in the Prodigal 2 sequel campaign, and cross your fingers and hope that chapter two will come out!  ;D

laters,
Trisk

splat44

Hi Trisk,

Where can we vote for a sequel?

It migh be best to provide a link.

Regards

babyjoe

My god...I've just started playing this but am scared already! Brilliant stuff!

Afflict

it looks goo dbeen playing about 10 minutes...
The character doesnt fit the scene that well but hey its a good game!

babyjoe

I loved this game when I first started playing it but found it lost it's edge when I had to start running errands. There was no fear anymore and it turned into a comedy if anything, lol...Was this intentional?

Nikolas

Quote from: babyjoe on Tue 21/02/2006 19:23:27
I loved this game when I first started playing it but found it lost it's edge when I had to start running errands. There was no fear anymore and it turned into a comedy if anything, lol...Was this intentional?
Have you finished it?

If not play a little while longer...

And please tell me that you're not using the walkthrough, provided by Trisk himself, becasue that would mean that you are prepared for what's to come...

Trisk

I don't have anyplace to vote for a sequel, splat44. It was just a joke. :)

Babyjoe, while the middle part of the game is definitely less on the chills aspect, this is very much intentional. And yes, there is a bit of humor in the characters. Don't worry though, the game will get much scarier later on again, and stay that way 'till the end.

This story isn't ALL horror, and was never really intended to be. Prodigal 2, while it will (if it gets made) certainly contain some scary and gruesome scenes, will be even less horror overall. That's kinda why I billed Prodigal as a horror/thriller.

Anyway, beat the game and you'll understand a little of why the middle part is there. Play Prodigal 2, and you'll realize the story couldn't exist without it.

Nikolas-
Yeah, I realize there is always a risk of someone abusing the walkthrough if you include it with the game. I tried to keep story elements out of the walkthrough (I think...) but you just have to hope that people will just use it if they get stuck, and not just burn through the game using it.

babyjoe

Oh right, brilliant!

No, I'm not using the walkthrough, although it IS tempting! lol

fanton

HEY>..FOR THE INVENTORY ITEMS:
try adding a stroke  (an outlike) for each item. something like white or yellow or a dark brown. or add shadows for each item.

Nodnerb

Hey, I just finished this game, and it was truly astounding! I loved the entire thing - it was very creepy, atmospheric, and immersive. I was very entertained by the plot, and I love how it developed. The mysterious nature of the game was excellent! This is just the kind of game I'm always looking for! The graphics were great too - and the music!! You should be proud!

My one complaint:

**SPOILER**
There was one part that was just TOO hard. Where you have to find some way to get the guy to accept the barbecue chicken, because the bowl isn't fancy enough... ARGH! How are you supposed to know that you have to look at the bookshelf 3 or 4 times before you can take one of the plates? Other than that, I don't think anything was too hard, or needed the walkthrough. But that part did.
**END OF SPOILER**

Excellent game, and I hope you continue in this field - you'll go far!

Trisk

Fanton- that's an idea for the sequel. :b

Nodnerb- FYI, you can hide spoilers by typing [ hide]spoiler text here[ /hide]. Just remove the spaces after the open brackets.

Spoiler
Well, it was supposed to be kind of funny that he was such a dip, although I did notice alot of people get stuck at that point. The ellipses in the discription text was supposed to give you the hint that there was more to see. It's pretty hard to make a game that NOBODY gets stuck on, so I included the walkthrough to keep frustration down. I figure the player can decide when they've had enough and want to look it up.
[close]

-Ksirt

Tonik

Note that I am still playing the game, but I have to disagree regarding the music. In my option, it destroys your attempt to create a scary atmosphere, and is plain annoying; inside the house for example (bathroom especially).

However, the graphics are very good and the use of 3d in the cutscenes work out well. I cant comment on the story because I havent finished the game yet.

cheers

Trisk

reloaded.org, a great sight to find freeware games, has interviewed me about the developement of Prodigal! Learn all about the game's production and history! Learn how Prodigal started out as an AGI game! Learn the inspirations for Prodigal! Learn about how the games rich audio environment was developed!

It's all there for you! Just head over to
http://www.reloaded.org/interview.php?IntID=21&GID=142

And drop me a line to say what you think!
Trisk

Mordalles

man, that's awesome, trisk! going to check it out now and learn from the master.  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

splat44

Quote from: Trisk on Mon 13/03/2006 18:53:50
reloaded.org, a great sight to find freeware games, has interviewed me about the developement of Prodigal! Learn all about the game's production and history! Learn how Prodigal started out as an AGI game! Learn the inspirations for Prodigal! Learn about how the games rich audio environment was developed!

It's all there for you! Just head over to
http://www.reloaded.org/interview.php?IntID=21&GID=142

And drop me a line to say what you think!
Trisk

Hi Trisk,

Thank you for your kind words you used regading what did during that interview.

Wow, it certaintely for contributing as much.

Oh, I also see you are working on 2nd version?
That great and all the best with it.

Cheers

Hammerite

i dont really understand how you can make a sequel to Prodigal, it had that kind of ending, you know?
what kind of thing's going to happen.
[crosses fingers]please more character interaction!![/crosses fingers]
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Trisk

Hammerite-

Did you watch the end all the way through the credits? The story keeps going until the game takes you back to windows...and once you see that, you should know why there should be a sequel.  ;)

In less broad terms, I'd say Prodigal was only the PROLOGUE to a much larger story. You've been introduced to many concepts (Ulisigi Ela) and characters (Alexander Demelza) that really didn't have alot of point in this game. They are all setup for the NEXT game. Plot threads abound in Prodigal when you start to gather them up. And they ALL go someplace!

It would be a great disservice to Nathan's excellent story to NOT do a sequel. There are so many questions left unanswered!  ???

Anyway,

Hammerite

is that where the bloke who you play as in the first (sorry forgot his name  ;D) talks to that girl on the bench because wouldnt it just be almost the same?
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk