Professor Neely And The Death Ray Of Doom

Started by sonicrumpets, Tue 14/12/2010 20:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabata

Even if I couldn't find the mini-game (till now ;)), I had a lot of fun with this game.

I like the style and the sound, when talking etc. was very funny, also the difficulty of the puzzles is right â€" well done! :D

There was only one thing I didn't understand quite right, when I was asked to
Spoiler
insert disc 2!?
[close]
Did you hide something like this somewhere?! ???

I would really love to see more adventures of Prof Neely!

blueskirt

I found it weird that I had to unlock the front door. Surely, if you want to lure someone into a trap, the first thing not to do is hamper their way to said trap, the front door should have been unlocked. :)

Also, I think I found a bug in there:
Spoiler
When the fridge has electricity, use it once to get the sandwich, then, use it a second time, while the sandwich is still in the tray and you'll never be able to get the toaster.
[close]
I'm not done with the game yet but I think it's pretty good for a first game.

sonicrumpets

Thanks for the feedback . About the disk 2 thing , that’s actually a ripped off joke from the original monkey island “the stump joke”

http://miwiki.net/The_Stump_Joke

Although After re reading this wiki page I’m not sure why I thought It would be a good reference, as the reaction to such a joke seems universal.

As for the bug with the toaster, well I might get around to it but as It won't actually prevent anyone from completing the game It’s not a top priority but I will test it and see if I can find a reasonable fix.

*edit*
Ok. I’ve tested the toaster bug and the blueprints are Unaffected by this so as It doesn’t break the game(only an Easter egg/mini game) my call is not to fix this with a new version However if more serious bugs show up I will make a update.

Thanks for the feed back!

Baron

Nice game so far -haven't finished yet, but I'm enjoying it.  I liked the bug squishing -sure it wasn't very challenging, but it was a good excuse to explore the house.  The music adds atmosphere to all the locations I've played, and the sound effects (ie for stepping on different surfaces) make the game come alive.  Some of the animation is a little out of place (Egore's walk compared to the professor's, for example), but most of it I thought was pretty good.  The backgrounds were amazing, but sometimes a little too complex for your sprites (the angle of the stairwell really calls for diagonal walking loops, for example).  I say all this to help you with your next project -visually this project is quite good, and your attention to detail (sounds, small animations) grabs and keeps the player's attention.

Oh, and that jumping screaming cup on the AGS splash screen was awesome!  Is there any chance CJ can use it for the next version of AGS so I can watch it every time I run the program?  I'm sure he'd pay royalties....

saluk

Loved the game, except for some of the issues that have already been mentioned. The disk 2 thing really bugged me though, because the screen flips and most of the ending screen dialog is unreadable. It kinda killed the tension, which you don't want to happen during a climax!

Don't have a problem with the joke itself, just used it at the absolute worst time :)

Your artwork is brilliant, I really look forward to whatever you make next.

theo

Just started playing this during lunch, I like it a lot so far. Nice style! I really appreciate the attention to detail.

Jenie

Very nice first. I had a surprising amount of trouble with the puzzles, which were crafted for one solution where it seemed many others would work, forcing me to try this that and the other thing before finding the intended path.

The art is fabulous.

The game did kick me out at one time though, when I accidentally Talked to the "Jamed Door" and it gave me,

"An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

in Global script (line 717)

Error: RunDialog: Cannot run this command since there is already a NewRoom command already queued to run."

Igor Hardy

Quote from: sonicrumpets on Wed 15/12/2010 17:43:06
3.  The music Is from this site
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/
I used the following
Arcadia, Dream like, Frost Waltz, Laconic Granny, Machinations, Mysterioso March, Ominous and Scheming Weasel slower.

I think that’s all of them.

Thanks, surprisingly good stuff to be found on this site.

BaptisteTheFool

Loving this so far.

As for the spelling-- no offense, but it's really poor.  But if you want to release an update, PM me and let's talk.  Being currently unemployed, I have far too much time on my hands.  But yeah, if you send me your script, I promise a typo-free edit in at least a few days, at most a week.

Ryan Timothy B

I always avoid playing a game once I find out it may be littered with typos or bad grammar and I wait for an update.
I'll play this once I hear of an update. Graphics do look fantastic!

sonicrumpets

Thank you all again for the feedback criticism and informing me of bugs.

So here we go.

Quote from: Jenie on Wed 12/01/2011 18:55:59

The game did kick me out at one time though, when I accidentally Talked to the "Jamed Door" and it gave me,

"An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

in Global script (line 717)

Error: RunDialog: Cannot run this command since there is already a NewRoom command already queued to run."

This little bug Is due to the fact that the talking to object joke makes Neely walk towards the objects x/y origin and in this case tigers a room change. Yes I know that that’s easily discernable from the error report but I’d be a fool not to recreate it myself so I could see precisely what was happening.

Anyways this is an easy fix.

Quote from: saluk on Thu 06/01/2011 09:03:01
The disk 2 thing really bugged me though, because the screen flips and most of the ending screen dialog is unreadable. It kinda killed the tension, which you don't want to happen during a climax!

Don't have a problem with the joke itself, just used it at the absolute worst time :)

This also is an easy fix and I  will seriously consider doing so.

Quote from: BaptisteTheFool on Sun 16/01/2011 04:23:39
As for the spelling-- no offense, but it's really poor.  But if you want to release an update, PM me and let's talk.  Being currently unemployed, I have far too much time on my hands.  But yeah, if you send me your script, I promise a typo-free edit in at least a few days, at most a week.

Thanks I appreciate the offer and may indeed do exactly that when and if I get around to releasing a updated version.

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 16/01/2011 04:55:20
I always avoid playing a game once I find out it may be littered with typos or bad grammar and I wait for an update.
I'll play this once I hear of an update. Graphics do look fantastic!

If you are waiting for a new version you might be waiting a while. I’ll be the first to admit that the game itself was not made in a conventional manner has a few misspellings and the code is often messy and plagued by wandering tidbits of old now unused things ( like a pool of piranha and a giant library maze and some nonsense about Egore being a controllable character).

All things aside I’m currently have a lot on my plate and I honestly can’t say when I’ll have the time to pump more effort into Neely. Especially when I would be more interested on the Neely sequel and two other games I’ve been working on that I’d like to finish.

But I’ll tell you what If you can find the instance of Inexcusable misspellings and other parts of the game that don’t cut it please PM me and I’ll try to get a fixed up version out eventually.

Again Thank you for all your comments I appreciate the reception the game has had and your input lets me know that you earnestly enjoyed it because you wouldn’t bother giving me input if you didn’t.

SuperDre

this looks absolutely great, looking forward to playing it, I don't have the time now :(

moshboy

Really neat little game. I've played it for around 20 minutes so far and really enjoying it - definitely shades of DOTT and Maniac Mansion there. I'm not usually all that spectacular at adventure games but progressing through this one just nicely.

Anian

Nice retro feel, maybe a few troubles with the puzzles, but I still liked it.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Igor Hardy

Finished.

Great background art. Funny grunts. Good length. Nice puzzles, though the interface was a bit confusing at first (I played the original version).

It's a shame you rarely provided custom comments for interactions, even for looking - it was irritating to read "There's nothing special about this or that" over and over again. Otherwise the game shows that you've put a lot of effort into creating it - it's polished and good looking.

To be honest I wasn't particularly engaged by the plot and characters. Finding out puzzle solutions was what kept me playing rather than the story or writing.

Snarky

Hey, this was a cool little DOTT-clone! I particularly had fun with the books in the library, and the diary and day planner. I didn't come across the hidden mini-game or the "Insert Disk 2" Easter Egg, but I found the puzzles quite easy. I don't think I was ever stuck for more than a minute on anything. I ended up blowing up the house. Are there multiple endings?

Must have taken a lot of work to do, and I'm very glad you decided to release it. I think the complaints show that a bit of polish can make a world of difference to the player experience, but I'd much rather have the game with some rough edges than not have it at all.

Quote from: sonicrumpets on Mon 17/01/2011 23:37:16
But I’ll tell you what If you can find the instance of Inexcusable misspellings and other parts of the game that don’t cut it please PM me and I’ll try to get a fixed up version out eventually.

Honestly, the misspellings and punctuation mistakes are everywhere. I could tell that you're dyslexic just from watching the intro. It's perfectly understandable that there should be mistakes, and I'm fine with making allowances - just like you'd excuse a wonky color palette in a game made by a colorblind artist - but if you want it to look professional you're going to need a copy editor.

Pointing out a few errors here and there (e.g. "curtain" is "curten" in your inventory) isn't going to make a difference. Someone has to go through the whole script from beginning to end fixing each mistake.

Minno

This game was really fun! I haven't beaten it yet, though. There was a bit of a problem.

Spoiler
When finally making it into the mad scientist's evil lair, after he trips into his own laser and evaporates, I walked up to the control panel of the computer. First time clicking Use, it gives me a funny message (use this disk), clicked it again for a similar message. I understand that's a joke, but then I click it a third time...
[close]

The game locks up and the sounds repeat. It also causes a blocky-sounding click inside the tower of my computer. I'm forced to ctrl + alt + delete and cancel the program. This happened a second time when I tried it again.

sonicrumpets

Ok comments noted

1. Ok lets talk spelling again.
I don’t have the time to fix the glaringly bad  spelling errors and bad grammar right now.  I’ll make sure my next game Is spelling error free. If one of you wants to fix it enough pm me and I’ll dump the script or what ever and give you a editor credit.

2. Game locks up.
“The game locks up and the sounds repeat. It also causes a blocky-sounding click inside the tower of my computer. I'm forced to ctrl + alt + delete and cancel the program. This happened a second time when I tried it again.“ 

Dude I’m sorry about this problem, what’s happening is AGS is using this-

“eCDEject - ejects the drive tray if the drive has the ability. This is a feature you'll play with to start off because it's neat, and then realize that it has no real use in your game. Your script does not continue until the drive is fully ejected. “

I suspect that this is not getting along with your hardware The best I could do is remove this from the joke.

Minno

Oh... that was part of the joke? The reason why the CD drive didn't open is because my case has a little door, a cover, over where the disk drives are placed. That's pretty hilarious actually. If the cover was open, and the drive opened, I would have gotten a huge kick out of that.

That's actually pretty clever I'd say. Ha ha!

SuperDre

Finally got around to playing it, and finished it.. It's a fun game, looking forward to any new game from you.. hehe.. good luck and thanx for the entertainment...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk