The Blackwell Legacy

Started by Dave Gilbert, Sun 24/12/2006 02:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Blackwell has been reviewed by Gameboomers!

It's the game's first review. And you always remember your first!

Anyway, I haven't been that prolific in addressing the major issues (demo, bug fixes, etc) because I needed some desperate "me time" after the game was done.  Now that I've taken two weeks to relax and depressurize, I'm fit and ready to get right back at it.

Lots of logistical stuff has now been taken care of.  The soundtrack is now available on the Wadjet Eye site, for those who are into that kind of thing.  Also, the game has been updated to v1.2.  This fixes many of the minor bugs people have uncovered.

I'm going to punch out a demo tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

-Dave

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I see you decided to make a redownload instead of a patch, because, as you say, the patch would be as big as the game. Now, this is a matter of opinion, and I'd like other people's input - me, I'd rather have an updated download *and* a 1.0 -> 1.2 patch. Even if it was bigger, I'd rather download the patch. Heh, what kind of schizo am I, right? :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Finally got around to playing it -- and finished it. A wonderful game!

A bit rough around some edges, and comparatively short -- but otherwise, 9/10 from me.

MooK

Looks promising, Downloading it now.

A few questions.
How much of "Bestowers of Eternity" is in it?
Will you be remaking your other games? Two of a Kind and your RON games?

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: MooK on Sun 14/01/2007 19:56:31
Looks promising, Downloading it now.

A few questions.
How much of "Bestowers of Eternity" is in it?
Will you be remaking your other games? Two of a Kind and your RON games?

Hi Mook,

Maybe about 10% of Blackwell borrows stuff from  Bestowers.  The rest is all new.  It's not a "remake", per se.  I'd like to think of it as a whole new game.

None of my other games will get remade.  If I return to the world of ToaK, it would be for a sequel.

Hope you enjoy the game!

-Dave

Dave Gilbert

Demo is being tested as I type this.  In the meantime, you can check out this TRAILER ON YOUTUBE.

edit: Aaaand the demo's up!  My apologies for this taking so long to create.  It was very difficult for me to pick and choose the "right" scene(s) from the game to show off.  After throwing out about five different demos, I finally settled on one I think works.

Check the original post for the link. 

-Dave

SSH

You should update the Blackwell AGS games database page to download the demo, Dave...  ;D

I just saw The Blackwell Legacy on the front page of gamespot.com! It has an entry!

Nice, and can be seen here: gamespot.com/pc/adventure/theblackwelllegacy/ . Did you ask for it to be placed in the database, Dave, or was it placed on the website without intervention on your part (or anybody others)?

Andail

Looks good, Dave.
Just wanted to express my worries regarding the trailer...which I unfortunately don't like very much :( Don't get me wrong, the game looks good judging from everything I've seen or read so far, but the trailer simply doesn't work, it has no cinematic effect, no drama...it could be so much better.
Take a look at how Goldmund made the trailer movie for Donna, which kept an entire community on needles and pins for years and years. I totally recommend that you give it another shot, maybe with the help of someone who's more into movie editing.
Just my two cents.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: guest on Mon 29/01/2007 14:43:23
I just saw The Blackwell Legacy on the front page of gamespot.com! It has an entry!

Nice, and can be seen here: gamespot.com/pc/adventure/theblackwelllegacy/ . Did you ask for it to be placed in the database, Dave, or was it placed on the website without intervention on your part (or anybody others)?

Ooh!  Crazy.  No, I don't know how that got there.  It might have been sent there by the Manifesto folks, or the marketing fairy. 

The Ivy

This has got to be one of the most enjoyable AGS games I've ever played.Ã,  The story was well-written, and Rosangela's character was believable in all her redheaded awkwardness. The character portraits were gorgeous, and the level of detail was most impressive. The changing facial expressions were very subtle but added a great deal to the game. There were also a number of very clever puzzles, and as with the Shivah, a lot of them could be solved just by imagining what I would do in real life.

This glowing review has nothing to do with the fact that I got namedropped in the game. Dave, you owe me a sandwich. ;)

In seriousness, this actually inspired me to get going on my game, which I've been a bit lazy with lately. Blackwell was definitely worth the cost for anyone who's been on the fence about getting it. :)

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: The Ivy on Mon 05/02/2007 20:49:56
This glowing review has nothing to do with the fact that I got namedropped in the game. Dave, you owe me a sandwich. ;)

I just made one, Ivy.  I'll give it to you at Mittens.

thewalrus

Hmm, I was never aware that there was a demo, just dowloaded it.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Nikolas

Dave,

Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the game immensly!

The voice acting is very well made (a little noise in Rosa's voice but perfect other than that), and the actors are very talented actually.

BGs, sprites, and animation are all perfect.

The mood of the game (along with the music) are near perfection (although I've not gone far yet, I just started playing).

I would say that this is an extremely well made game and I'm really looking forward to the next game from Wadget games!

It's no wonder that the studio is been nominated for best newcomer studio... ;)

Well done Dave!

Well done!

Gregjazz

Quote from: Nikolas on Fri 09/02/2007 19:11:52
(a little noise in Rosa's voice but perfect other than that)

Heheh, yeah I found that really noticeable and bugged me. I guess it's a computer musician thing to listen for that stuff, right... :)

I still haven't had time to finish all the commentary. I'm really enjoying it, it's good to hear the "backstory" of the game development. The commentary is a big bonus!

big brother

Uh oh. Does he say anything about me?

Haven't listened to it.  :-\
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Snarky

I seem to recall he praises your ability to make ladies swoon.

Gregjazz

thewalrus

I just checked out the demo, are there a lot of inventory based puzzles as well as conversational ones? How difficult is the game? I'm curious.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Nikolas

It's not too difficult. There are a lot of conversational puzzles, and a few inventory ones. No item puzzles whatsoever (you don't use items, but only can ocmbine them or add the mto your notes).

It was a great game, professional in every way.

The only thing that I have to say bothered me a bit was that I found it a little bit small... :-/ I was expecting much more than that actually... (Note: I'm not commenting on the price at all! Just the lenght of the game independent of the game being commercial, cheap, expensive whatever anyways...)

It was a really nice time to spend Dave, thank you for that (and your team of course)

Now I have to check what the activation code does ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk