The Cat Lady

Started by Grim, Sat 01/12/2012 09:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Catch22Alk3

Thank You! I took the third one. I suspect the second one is still available :)

Wapcaplet

m0ds

Great, enjoy!

The Cat Lady has been revealed as the mystery game for groupee's BMA bundle. A bunch of cool games and bonuses certainly if you spend $5 minimum. Just 100 away from unlocking another bonus. But hurry! It's going to end on 28th Feb :)

http://www.groupees.com/bma

In other news - The Cat Lady also won an award today!  ;-D

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24014

m0ds

Come and have a chat with Remi on Sunday evening! :)

Xzyj

Hello, Grim.
Spoiler
I registered here just to give you some feedback, after i finished your beautiful game.
I think your game is pretty awesome, i'm especially glad about voice-work of Susan, Mitzi and that dude-killer with his "beautiful" wife ;)

But i have one thing that bothers me very much.
After i finished "The cat lady" i got ending where Mitzi still dies due to her cancer (which i excepted well, cause it was very logical ending). But when i searched on forums and read that you can get "awesome ending" where Mitzi doesn't die i was quite confused. When i read your solutions how to get that ending, i was really surprised by one arcticle.

"- Prove to Liz that you've listened"
I was playing this game as Susan, and i was roleplaying as it finest, due to my pretty good knowing of psychology i was doing (how i feel) everything what susan would do, when you give her a choise. But really, after she just almost commited suicide, and after she was told there will be many people that will want to be friends with her, and he was in coma, should she want to talk to some random Liz who bothers her when she barely can open her eyes? I just kept silent when she was asking me everything, and didn't listened her well enough to get the answers (and as i suspect this is logical things to do when you barely didn't died). Due to that i waesn't be able to answer her questions right, but everything besides that i made right, and now i feel some frustration, due to fact i was roleplaying as best as i can, and get second-good ending, due to fact i just didn't listened to never-stop-speaking girl Liz, do you really think it's nessescairy option to listen to her to let Mitzi live? I just feel like this game have some kind of "teaching" structure, when you're rude and alone person at start, and then became more open and have feeling to Mitzi and care about her, i think it's reasonable to be kind of "close person" at start, and then open up.

Well, i said what i wanted, i just feel like it waesn't quite logical to listen Liz, and especially that Mitzi died because of that just feels doesn't right to me.
Besides all of that your game is beautiful, i really enjoyed by the story, especially the "River" part cut-scenes on the bridge touched me deep.
Thank you very much.
[close]

Grim

Xzyj:
Spoiler
But you got the good ending!;) The ending in which Mitzi does not die is a "secret" ending. A bonus one. Talking of logic, it really doesn't make much sense for a terminally ill patient to get well suddenly, right?;) It was my intention from the start to have the game end this way and besides, The Cat Lady frequently fucks with players' expectations and often makes you feel guilty about choices you've made. The whole point of that scene on the roof was to make you feel bad about not listening to a fictional character in a game. There was no warning that such thing would happen, so you couldn't have expected it... So in a way, it evoked certain emotions you've probably never felt before playing a game!;)
[close]

Xzyj

Spoiler
Yea, i rethinked it later, and i guess it makes sence, i even thought that if i would get the "best ending" i would be highly dissapointed by "fairytaleness" of the game, after it was pretty tough and kinda depressive. But i just doesn't wanted to lose Mitzi, after everything, i guess, so i feel bad about getting not "best ending" but it's totally make sence, i understand...
Can you please explain to me one more thing, i didn't played Downfall yet(I guess maybe that's the reason), but i didn't understanded the whole dude with his wife part, because there is scene with him and his wife close to the end, that didn't affect gameplay (because we want talk to him ever again and this scene doesn't really reveal much to me). Maybe it's just because i didn't read Stephen King's Misery? Or there is the other reason for this Cut-scenes with his wife? (besides descision about killing his wife affecting ending)
[close]
Sorry for my pretty bad english, i'm not really well at this, but i really enjoyed your game and i feel like i want to understand more about it. :)

an Urpney

Quote from: Xzyj on Sun 17/03/2013 09:05:15
Spoiler

Can you please explain to me one more thing, i didn't played Downfall yet(I guess maybe that's the reason), but i didn't understanded the whole dude with his wife part, because there is scene with him and his wife close to the end, that didn't affect gameplay (because we want talk to him ever again and this scene doesn't really reveal much to me). Maybe it's just because i didn't read Stephen King's Misery? Or there is the other reason for this Cut-scenes with his wife? (besides descision about killing his wife affecting ending)
[close]

Spoiler

Joe and Ivy are main characters in Downfall - Ivy has been captured by an insane ghost\paranormal entity and Joe tries to rescue her from said ghost's dimension. Or so it seems at the beginning.
Have you noticed Joe's mood changes? That's a hint on what's really going on.
Misery has nothing to do with it, but it's a great book - give it a try if you have a chance!
[close]
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

Grim

Thanks an Urpney for explaining that;)

Now, I made a new little trailer to boost votes on Greenlight. Cry featured it at the start of his LP last night, which was perfect, since that means 100.000+ people will see that!;) As a result of this, we've already entered the Greenlight top 100, and with a massive BANG, too!;)

Well, without a further ado, here it is (share it guys, it helps a lot!:)):

[embed=640,480] <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j-RmTKGeg_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/embed]

LTGiants2000

Sorry you didn't get any of the AGS Awards Grim (I have a feeling the timing of the released played into that among other things (such as Resonance existing LOL)). I will do my best to promote and share the greenlight information as I still the TCL was a great game and I'm proud to be a (small) part of it.

-Rob M.

an Urpney

I second that - while Resonance is an outstanding game, I really hopet TCL will score at least "Best story". First surprise came when Mitzi didn't qualify for "Best NPC"...
An Urpney.

m0ds

The game arrived at GOG today! http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_cat_lady with an introductory price of just $7.49, bargain if you haven't got it yet.

Great that they choose to reach out to some of these newer indie devs.

For a limited period only: Spot the typo on the first line.... !!!?11 :P My fault.

Steam Greenlight is still going strong, and Cry's 'lets play' videos have been well received in the last couple of weeks.

Translations are still a way off I'm afraid, but hope to bring some good news on that front very soon!

an Urpney

Congratulations on the release! The Cat Lady is geting some good reviews on GOG and slowly climbing up on their bestsellers list.
You could've used different picture for this ad though - it's hard enough to convince some GOG folks that there is more about this game than gore and dirt ; )
An Urpney.

Mounrou

Got it in GOG. It was so good that it made me register here. Good Job! :wink:

So after the Cat Lady, I went and got Downfall too (I'd like to see it on GOG too but what with the last time with TCL already.....). But after I finished it too something just hit me and I really had to ask:

Spoiler

Did Joe killed Susan and Mitzi?

I mean since the timeline of Downfall should've happened just a while after TCL, and in Downfall Joe killed 4 "Sophies" (not counting the final boss) when there's exactly 4 females (including Mitzi) in the apartments; Also three males died in Downfall, while there were 2 living male characters (Apartment 5 & 8) we've seen in TCL (except for apartment 1 which we've only saw the old lady from, and she had a husband too? And I'm not sure but there's also a daughter or not?); And then there's the gutted cat (TEACUP!?)......

According to the endings, it seemed that Susan and Co. had never moved out after TCL.....

So maybe the "Good Ending" really isn't that good?
[close]

Might be a stretch, but it seemed pretty plausible.

an Urpney

Quote from: Mounrou on Wed 10/04/2013 04:13:43
Spoiler

Did Joe killed Susan and Mitzi?

I mean since the timeline of Downfall should've happened just a while after TCL, and in Downfall Joe killed 4 "Sophies" (not counting the final boss) when there's exactly 4 females (including Mitzi) in the apartments; Also three males died in Downfall, while there were 2 living male characters (Apartment 5 & 8) we've seen in TCL (except for apartment 1 which we've only saw the old lady from, and she had a husband too? And I'm not sure but there's also a daughter or not?); And then there's the gutted cat (TEACUP!?)......

According to the endings, it seemed that Susan and Co. had never moved out after TCL.....

So maybe the "Good Ending" really isn't that good?
[close]

Spoiler

I guess he didn't. When we meet Joe in TCL, he's pretty much on the edge. Then some time passes (the last scene seems to take place at least some months after Adam's death) and Susan \ Mitzi and Susan are alive and well on the cementary. They must've moved out or missed Joe's killing spree.
The poor cat was Lucifer, Ivy's cat. Joe refers to killing Lucifer when meeting Susan, so that must've happened before the events of TCL.
[close]
An Urpney.

jenimad

Major Downfall spoilers/Rather Minor Cat Lady spoilers, silly thought-
Spoiler
Did anyone else have a weird thought pertaining to Downfall-
That the reason why Joe's hallucination/whatever that he's going through for most of Downfall contains having to kill a cat to get a key is because there's a key to his apartment hidden in a cat statue (which you 'kill'/break to get it in The Cat Lady)?
[close]

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: jenimad on Wed 10/04/2013 19:50:54
Spoiler
[close]
I did :).

an Urpney

Quote from: jenimad on Wed 10/04/2013 19:50:54
Spoiler
That the reason why Joe's hallucination/whatever that he's going through for most of Downfall contains having to kill a cat to get a key is because there's a key to his apartment hidden in a cat statue (which you 'kill'/break to get it in The Cat Lady)?
[close]

Spoiler

Actually that scene is reminded several more times:
- (Downfall) Joe kills the cat,
- (Downfall) Joe, in his nightmare, has to mercykill the cat and Ivy finds him doing it,
- (Downfall) Billy finds dead cat in Joe's (real) flat,
- (The Cat Lady) Susan mentions she hasn't seen Lucifer for some time,
- (The Cat Lady) Susan finds the key to Joe's flat in a cat statue,
- (The Cat Lady) If Susan says she entered Joe's flat because she's lost her cat, Joe says he's looking for a cat that swallowed his key).
Those I remember ; )
[close]
An Urpney.

m0ds

If anyone has some save games (preferably from chapter 5 onwards) they can send me, please PM me or email them to me right away! mark at screen7.co.uk

Many thanks. I lost all mine during my recent PC madness period (time of year where all PC things go a bit wrong so I spend a few weeks fixing it all up so it works again for another year and a half) and Remi's are all of a version newer than the released one. I realize some players are having a few frustrations with the save features so need to send some out to them too.

Got some now thanks Crimson wizard!

Discount code whilst I'm here :) And just a few days until the album...for those who are interested. Akella Russian version still in the works and so is Italian version with Zodiac Store, but I'm yet to get a date on those.

Spoiler

£1.50 off the DRM-free copy (usually £6.99) with discount code "OFFTHERADAR" to celebrate our Radar review, at the official site  http://www.thecatlady.co.uk and http://www.screen7.co.uk

[close]

Sgrondo

The italian version will be online 9 May on Zodiac.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk