The Cat Lady

Started by Grim, Sat 01/12/2012 09:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Quote from: Surdy on Thu 05/12/2013 20:24:25
Hey Mods,

What are the new things in the Steam Edition?

I finally fixed the "deer" bug!!!;)

And I like the look of the new fonts and improved save system.

m0ds

Oh, but it's still 50 save slots :( Turns out that didn't work trying to remove that limit. Maybe Michael can take a look at that for the Steam version.. Changing one integer from "50" to "150" in AGS obviously wasn't the solution :P Wonder what that broke... sorry rem!

Grim

qptain Nemo

I kinda miss the old font. The new one is prettier and more readable, sure, but the old one really fit the character of the game. I think. Or maybe I'm just being conservative again.

Also damn, I love that
Spoiler
you can tell Dr. X that both your parents committed suicide when you were little :'D
[close]

maximilianxs

This is probably the best game I've played so far. The reason I liked this game so much is probably because I also did try suiciding before. Anyway, I am sorry but I had to stop at the start of Chapter Six. My HDD died out all of a sudden. I madly need a save file of the beginning of Chapter Six. If my decisions change the ending, I refused The Queen of Maggots. Any help with save file will be much appreciated.

If you like to help me, location of your save files is;
WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\<name of game>
Win7: C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\<name of game>\

Thanks in advance, I also thank you Harvester Games for such an increadible game and I strongly demand another gloomy, dark and obscure game in 2014! :)

Grim

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Sat 07/12/2013 22:09:00
Also damn, I love that
Spoiler
you can tell Dr. X that both your parents committed suicide when you were little :'D
[close]

Which creates the best sub-story somehow... ;)

Quote from: maximilianxs on Fri 13/12/2013 00:53:31
This is probably the best game I've played so far. The reason I liked this game so much is probably because I also did try suiciding before. Anyway, I am sorry but I had to stop at the start of Chapter Six. My HDD died out all of a sudden. I madly need a save file of the beginning of Chapter Six. If my decisions change the ending, I refused The Queen of Maggots. Any help with save file will be much appreciated.

If you like to help me, location of your save files is;
WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\<name of game>
Win7: C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\<name of game>\

Thanks in advance, I also thank you Harvester Games for such an increadible game and I strongly demand another gloomy, dark and obscure game in 2014! :)

Try Steam's community hub- I noticed a lot of people there exchange savegames. I'm sure someone will help you there. I'm sorry I can't provide that- there's been so many different versions of the game my savegames would not work anymore... Also- thanks for kind comments;)

Crimson Wizard

I do not have Steam version, but there was certain quirk with savedgames in the earlier version, maybe this information still valid.
The Cat Lady makes large save files as story progresses further (ending with about 25 MB per save) (I was planning to find out why this happens, but did not get to that yet).
What I found is that these large files are compressed by 99% due to the nature of data inside them. I was able to compress about 1.5 GB of saves to only 4.6 MB 7z archive! Just wanted to let you know :).

PS. I have saves only from older version.

m0ds

Someone used discount code CHRISJONESAGS again and it still makes me chuckle :D and then I realized I'm being an xmas scrooge. so

5 Steam only copies, grab em whilst they're hot :) like a hot cup of coffee

Spoiler

ZIR49-4TTH7-M89B4
4GP9Q-I5QVT-YTV3Y
L0T4K-J5HBJ-T5XTX
QHX67-MNBH0-LEWW6
GWYYJ-N9VRL-LG3HF
[close]

and if it doesn't work out for you, the first 5 people to PM me "Teh Cat Lady" (case and spelling sensitive) can have one ;)

Comments: I hate cats and watched part of this game. I loved hearing the story of their misery. Is there a good ending where the cat mother doesn't get revenge but suffers more?

I don't really want to buy it if the only ending is that the cat(s) win

Serious inquiry here. I _loathe_ cats and the story seemed funny enough while I watched

(wtf)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mods on Fri 06/12/2013 00:14:06
Oh, but it's still 50 save slots :( Turns out that didn't work trying to remove that limit. Maybe Michael can take a look at that for the Steam version.. Changing one integer from "50" to "150" in AGS obviously wasn't the solution :P Wonder what that broke... sorry rem!
Did not see this post before... I think you need to make a custom list control for this to work, manually reading save descriptions and screenshots. I do not think this is too difficult.
See Game.GetSaveSlotDescription and DynamicSprite.CreateFromSaveGame.
This way you will be able to have as much as 999 saves.

Regarding changing in the engine: there might be few places where you need to hack things... but don't do that please, people won't be able to play this game with recent engine ports :).

Tabata

I am still palying and it is a really well done story.
Despite the serious gloomy story I had to smile when I saw the blue cup.
And when I first entered the living room of one of the houses it directly attracted my attention ~ I suspected what (m-)mansion the interieur came from. :grin:
So I hasseled over to find the rest of the rooms right where and how they should be (including a nice allusion when I looked for the secret transition - you know what I mean ;)  )
Need to go on now        â€" just wanted to tell about my facination      *shudder* 

Chicky

Oh wow! I tried one of the keys you provided Mark and it hadn't been taken yet :-D

The key I used is: ZIR49-4TTH7-M89B4

Thanks dude, super awesome! I'll be sure to write up a mini review once i've finished. Loved the demo, psyched to play the finished release and not sure why it's taken me this long (wtf)

DoorKnobHandle

Also got one (the fourth code still wasn't taken)! Thanks Mark! :)

Babar

I also found the 2nd key working. Now installing The Cat Lady (will get to it after Gemini Rue).
Lets see if this will be the first horror game that actually horrors me.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Surdy

Happy new year to Grim & Mods.

Any ideas for a new Harvester adventure game for the future? Grim? Mods?

Grim

Hi Surdy, yes- we have plenty of ideas- but they don't really belong in this thread!;) I'll send you an email soon;)

I'm glad more members of the community have picked up TCL recently on Steam- Tabata, Chicky, Babar, DKH- I hope you like it;)

Ghost

Thanks to m0ds I got myself a copy too. Awesome game so far, Grim!

Also featured on the Tropes now 8-) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/TheCatLady

Grim

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 04/01/2014 13:38:25
Thanks to m0ds I got myself a copy too. Awesome game so far, Grim!

Also featured on the Tropes now 8-) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/TheCatLady

I'm glad;)

But that Tropes thing has been there for a while now. It puzzles me that there are people who know more about my game than I do... ;) The game's Golden Ending (I didn't even know that that's what it's called) is now common knowledge to most Cat Lady fans. Back when I did it, I remember considering giving out a special prize to the first person who managed to get it (a notebook that contains sketches, doodles, scribbles, to-dos and dialog WIPs from the game; since I never went with that idea it's still resting on a pile of junk on top of my fridge;) )

an Urpney

Quote from: Grim on Sun 05/01/2014 04:12:09
The game's Golden Ending (I didn't even know that that's what it's called) is now common knowledge to most Cat Lady fans. Back when I did it, I remember considering giving out a special prize to the first person who managed to get it (a notebook that contains sketches, doodles, scribbles, to-dos and dialog WIPs from the game; since I never went with that idea it's still resting on a pile of junk on top of my fridge;) ) )
I'm afraid I would've broken this competition - had that ending before the game even came out (due to pre-order 'week ahead of everybody' promo) and - as mentioned earlier in this topic - wasn't even aware it's something special :)
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

Grim

Quote from: an Urpney on Sun 05/01/2014 08:25:47
Quote from: Grim on Sun 05/01/2014 04:12:09
The game's Golden Ending (I didn't even know that that's what it's called) is now common knowledge to most Cat Lady fans. Back when I did it, I remember considering giving out a special prize to the first person who managed to get it (a notebook that contains sketches, doodles, scribbles, to-dos and dialog WIPs from the game; since I never went with that idea it's still resting on a pile of junk on top of my fridge;) ) )
I'm afraid I would've broken this competition - had that ending before the game even came out (due to pre-order 'week ahead of everybody' promo) and - as mentioned earlier in this topic - wasn't even aware it's something special :)

Cheater.... ;)

:P

an Urpney

You know, you can always scan the thing and add it as bonus material for Steam and GOG buyers (not sure if Desu supports such thing as bonus material). I'd certainly love to see this :)
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk