The Family Treasure

Started by scourge, Tue 24/01/2006 19:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

scourge

Quote from: Petteri on Mon 27/02/2006 11:24:38
Quote from: buloght on Fri 24/02/2006 19:27:54
EDIT: Petteri, you mean the Discworld following trail. That part works fine.

No, that's not what I mean. The text that displays the name of hotspots. Sometimes I didn't get the name of the hotspot (even though the cursor clearly was over the hotspot), sometimes the text kept blinking and sometimes the text updated slightly after moving the cursor over the hotspot.

I don't understand this. It never happens to me. I use normal @overhotspot@ I've played the game through about 200 times looking for things people say and it never happens to me.

Quote from: Adamski on Mon 27/02/2006 16:29:55
I got the same problem as Petteri too, I think it's down to the cursor trails being characters and not having their 'clickable' property unchecked so they occasionally obscure the hotspots when they move around. Just a little niggle though, nothing game destroying ;)
You assume wrong, the trails are each a small GUI. They don't obscure hotspots as they are turned off when the mouse stop. I can't find what you are talking about.

The trail sometimes flicker when you move the mouse very slowly, that happens because i turn them off when the mouse stops and on again when the mouse moves, what's wrong with that?

Adamski

Sometimes if you move the mouse in a certain way the trail will shoot underneath it quickly, which will obscure anything interactable for a split second. As I said, it's only a niggle and it happens rarely, but I was just backing up Petteri as I feared his comment would get brushed aside as 'user error'.

Besides that, it's a pretty good game taking into account the time in which it was made! It could definatly benefit from some tweaking here and there but I'm sure you're aware yourself what areas could be improved upon ;)

I look forward to seeing a new original project from you!

scourge

Yes, thanks for all the comments. I made the trail so that they don't shoot under the mouse, they always trail behind and are never actually assigned the mouse coordinates, they are removed before they can get to it's location. Well that was the intention, maybe just not a very good scriptor.  :-[

I'll try and improve and take everything into consideration for future games.

fanton

sorry for the person who lost the jobs...

i cannot get move the frigging RAFT!!! how do i do that??
Spoiler
i know i have to use shover with water
[close]
...for shure..but water is not clickable.

and i like your game thus far.
Spoiler
liked the idea with the detachable hook.
[close]

hey and I want to give you some suggestions
- frist try to make it so taht when you right click on anything you look. (i say this because right click and look buttons give diffrent messages for the same thing)
- after a successful action return the mouse pointer to walk mode

Alun

Quote from: avatar on Tue 28/02/2006 01:53:15
- after a successful action return the mouse pointer to walk mode

Ugh...well, to each his own, but personally I hate it when a game does this, and hope this is not done in a future version...

As for the raft question, by the way (the following is directed more to buloght than to avatar):
Spoiler
I have to admit, this part I found very counterintuitive as well.  I was pretty sure I had to use the shovel as an oar, but for a long time I couldn't figure out how to do it; it wasn't at all obvious that the map was an interactable screen--especially since using the Interact icon on it anywhere but on the raft didn't give any message, and Interacting with the raft gave the message "I can't do anything to the raft while looking at the map".  I did eventually get it, but mostly just by dint of trying everything on everything.  It might help if there were some message when you tried to use the shovel on the water (something like "I'll need a specific destination in mind"), or when you tried to Interact with a location on the map (maybe something like "I need some means of propulsion to get there"), or, preferably, both.

This is just a minor criticism; overall I thought it was a great game.  But yeah, that raft part was frustrating, and more for reasons of counterintuitive interface (at least, counterintuitive for me) than for the actual puzzle.
[close]

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, by the way, I found a minor bug when I played the game; sorry if this has already been reported:

Spoiler
Using anything on the (unreinforced) stick gave the message "I'll only need the skin" (or something like that; I don't recall the exact words).  Obviously this is intended to refer to the pointy plants, but it doesn't make any sense if, for example, you try to use your cutlass on the stick and you get that message...
[close]

Hope I'm not coming across as too critical here; like I said, overall I thought it was a great game, and the above two matters are just minor issues.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Allustar

I enjoyed the game's story and the references to Monkey Island.

The only issue i had was clicking on objects in my inventory and the action buttons... if i moved over something it would take a few seconds before it was recognized and i usually had to click twice in a sense before i got the right action to happen.

Otherwise I enjoyed the game and the puzzles were alright.

~Allustar~

scourge

I think the discworld trail might be causing that as people have pointed out. I think it's best i remove them or make them unclickable (can i do that with GUIs?) I''ll go fix or remove them :)

Afflict

What do you guys mean by discworl trial?

fanton

if you play discowrld youll see these sparkles following the cursor (which is a simple corss +). its very cool.

please dont remove it!! yeah yeah i clicked 5 times who cares.. I LIKE THE EFFECT   :o ;D

scourge

Thanks fanton.

I have fixed the following (WILL UPLOAD MONDAY):

- made the Discworld Trial GUI's unclickable so now they don't interfere anymore (i'm embarresed to say that i now see the difference than before, i myself had to click twice sometimes, but no matter, now you only always have to click once haha.)
- when you right click on a non-hotspot area the mouse mode switches to walk mode (right click on hotspot it either automatically looks or talks if it's a character, but this was so when i first released the gameÃ,  8) )
- I corrected a few spelling errors.

Just those two first points makes the game a lot more user-friendly in terms of clicking without problems haha and the Discworld Trial still exists but has no effect on the clicking. Thanks for the comment on that. Will upload new version Monday.

AND:

Expect a sequel this year sooner than later of full-length where the story goes deeper and less cliche (hopefully) with more characters and locations :) and (hopefully) upgraded graphics.

I truelly thank everybody for giving me feedback, negative and positive.Ã,  :)

JohnGreenArt

Might there still be a version in the works that runs with the Mac AGS player? Past the part where it crashes as he's digging up the treasure, that is. I really look forward to playing the rest of the game.

scourge

Hey john :) I compiled a version for 32-bit but today i actually tested it and it crashed for me when in that same part because i saved all the bitmaps for the game in 24-bit so it's of different colour depth and i got some sort of error for that. So i guess i'll go and have to save the pics in that part as 32-bit and compile again, thanks for not giving up on me john haha :)

JohnGreenArt

Awesome. I hate for you to go through the trouble for such a minority of game players, but I guess it's just your fault for making such a great game.  ;D

scourge

I uploaded a more friendly-user version of TFT. (like I said I would before)

- right click on non-hotspots change mouse mode to walk
- made Discworld following mouse trail non-clickable so they'll never interfere with mouse clicks again
- corrected a couple of spelling errors
- added a track to make music less repetititititive

Thanks for feedback. :)

JohnGreenArt: Thanks John, I'll try my best setting that up.

Allustar

Yep.. works a lot better now. :)

One tiny spelling error though.

Spoiler
The ending sequence there's a misspelling where the Captain says "No if you'll please".. I think that should be "Now if you'll please"
[close]

scourge

thanks allustar, i'll fix it :)

DutchMarco

OK this is getting a bit tedious but I really liked it too. Fortunately most of the bugs were ironed out when I played it! Loved the puns re the original MI games, including your take on
Spoiler
Look! A three-headed monkey behind you!
[close]
I must say that the drawings could be improved upon, they were good but would have been better with more colour (and sometimes, more detail). I suppose if you'd had at least an extra month...

There should be more MI-style games, especially in the drawing style of SOMI. Later editions, including MI2, were not as charming as I had hoped.

You mention that pirate games aren't very original, does that mean that there are more MI-style (AGS) games around that I don't know about? Also, looking forward to playing the sequel to this one!

scourge

Thanks for playing DutchMarco. I'll try and make the sequel more detailed since I'm spending way more than month on that :) The reason i guess for the plain bgs is because i'm not skilled in brushing so i went plain pixel and i find that sometimes doing too much detail with plain pixel is dangerous territory in cartoony games, especially if you're still new to pixel graphics. You could easily create inconsistencies and ruin the cartoony feel. I'm trying to learn brushing :)

There are a few more pirate games around, and a lot of pirate fangames and MI games have been made. I can think of one that's in production which is a really unique pirate game made by Ali, and then there's also one made by Helm. There is also Return to Monkey Island and Amulet of Monkey Island (though i think the last one doesn't use AGS) I can't think of them all now :) I guess when one makes a pirate game it's hard to do something Monkey Island hasn't done, but i think there is still plenty of oppurtunity for original pirate games :)

Afflict

Y-I-P-E-E-! A SEQUEL!!!  ;D

Ionias

Great game. I just finished it. I loved the graphics and the humor. A couple of the puzzles had me confused, but all in all very well done. Bravo!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk