The Journey Down: Over the Edge

Started by theo, Wed 18/08/2010 23:08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

cianty

OOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!! That's beautiful!!!
ca. 70% completed

theo

Thanks  ;D Are you awesome enough to use it as a wallpaper? come on, are you?

Reposting the wallpapers here so they don't get lost on old page:

The wallpaper currently exists in three different sizes.

1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1680 x 1050

If you're fav size is missing just tell me and I'll create it!

cianty

My girl-friend sitting next to me just saw the picture and pointed out some similarity...  ::)

ca. 70% completed

Sughly

Gah! The poster/wallpaper just makes me want high res TJD more! It's so... delectable :P

theo

lol cianty a stunning resemblance!

Sughly: Who knows what the future might hold!  ;D

Thought I'd share some sweet Journey Down love from Jayisgames, check it out here:

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2010/12/the_journey_down_over_the_edge.php

Igor Hardy

Congrats on the JIG review, I'm happy TJD is starting to get the attention it deserves.

Matti

I just realized that I never commented the finished game.

I really liked it! I was glad to see that the graphics weren' the only good thing about the game, instead everything (except the scaling issue) felt right. The puzzles were perfect, I got stuck a few times but didn't need a walkthrough.

If it would've been longer it could've very well been a lucasarts classic.. it definitely played like one. And it had a nice Grim Fandango touch which is a very good thing.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Igor Hardy

TJD is among the honorable mentions in Gamasutra's Top 10 Indie Games of 2010! The list was prepared by IndieGames blog editors.

theo

hey matti thanks for the kind words:D Means a lot!

Ascovel, thanks for the heads up about the honorable mentions! I wonder if an honorable mention actually creates any traffic though. Lol I'd never bother looking up runners up.  :P

If anyone out there is the least bit interest I can also add that the skygoblin website has now been updated with... nothing really. just a shinier front page. Please drop by if you're bored and got nothing else to do.  8)

cianty

Quote from: theo on Mon 20/12/2010 10:16:49If anyone out there is the least bit interest I can also add that the skygoblin website has now been updated with... nothing really. just a shinier front page. Please drop by if you're bored and got nothing else to do.  8)

Just had a look. The front page looks splendid! Love it!

However, it would be nice to maintain the left side navigation throughout the site. So when you go to "Screenshots" or "Behind the Scenes" the naviagtion should remain where it was before. Clicking "back" on the browser is very inconvenient.
ca. 70% completed

Igor Hardy

Quote from: theo on Mon 20/12/2010 10:16:49
Ascovel, thanks for the heads up about the honorable mentions! I wonder if an honorable mention actually creates any traffic though. Lol I'd never bother looking up runners up.  :P

Well, I guess indie games' nerds like me do bother to check all those lists carefully. Actually I'd like to believe getting into such article brings a modest amount, but higher quality traffic.

theo

cianty: That's a good idea! Given some time I'll try and get the menu in all those screens. Most likely that would look better too:D

cianty

ca. 70% completed

theo

cianty, I've started adding the menu to the different pages now. Feels a lot better. Will be quite some time before I work my way through all of them though. Thanks again for the tip.  8)

Btw, JD just got a nice feature on DIYgamer, check it out here.

Igor Hardy

A new review of Over the Edge appeared on Alternative Magazine Online:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2011/01/26/game-review-the-journey-down-over-the-edge/

It's written by Martin Mulrooney who some of you might know from other blogs too...

kconan

"The Journey Down" got a nice blurb in the January, 2011 edition (page 118) of PC Format magazine.

selmiak

<3 this game! Just finished it and yeah, this is sooo cool, can't wait to play the other chapters and find out more about the underworld :)

LeftHandedMatt

I just completed Over The Edge, and I am SO impressed. The artwork is stunning, the story and characters are imaginative and captivating, and the puzzle design is absolutely perfectly balanced. It never got to the point where I was so frustrated that I couldn't work out what to do after some exploration.

The only minor critisicm I can think of: one thing that separates this from a completely professional game is the poor grammar and spelling in the dialogue. Many players probably aren't too bothered about this, but it drives me nuts! It's especially important since the game has no voice audio and requires you to read. Almost every line has something a bit off in it, and it's a shame that just that little aspect lets it down.

But it's a small thing when compared to the INCREDIBLE work you have achieved here. Bravo. You deserve to be paid for work of this quality.
Give me the next chapter please!

Baron

I've finally finished it -incredible work.  The sprites and animation were awesome, the backgrounds were amazing, and the cutscenes blew my mind!  I thought the spelling slang added atmosphere, but I could see how it might be hard to discern a Chinese stereotypical accent in written form if you weren't a native English speaker.  Truthfully the only constructive comment I can offer is setting up some lighting regions so that the main character sprite doesn't stick out so much in darker environs -when he's standing next to the ship captain all shrouded in shadows he looked quite a bit out of place.  But the characters, game-world, and dialog were all top-notch in my opinion.  Really a must play -good job and good luck with the commercial edition.

Armageddon

What? I thought the dudes were Jamaican 'mon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk